Stocking 10 Gallon planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
erictruong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Stocking 10 Gallon planted tank

Hello everyone, I will be setting up my 10 gallon planted tank tomorrow and need some help stocking my tank. It will be heavily planted with hi light tank. I want a small community of fish that cover all areas of the tank from high - mid and low swimmers. Not exactly looking for one specific fish to be the star. I am looking at neon tetras, some dwarf corys or glass catfish (only fish in the tank, thinking about 6 of them). But I have read on other threads that glass catfish is not a good choice for a 10 gallon aquarium so I might have to scrap that idea haha.

Are there any other fish I can get? I am not a big fan of ember tetras or galaxy danios. Looking for neutral and cool colour fish, not so much orange etc.

Thanks everyone Look forward to hearing from some of you
erictruong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Gold Pristella tetras maybe? Definitely the dwarf corys. Harlequin rasboras are a possibilty as well
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
erictruong
Algae Grower

@ mitch - How many GP Tetras can I keep in a 10 gallon tank?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Are you going to be supplementing this high-light setup with nutrients and CO2? If not, you won't get much more growth out of the plants than you would if the tank was a low-light one.

Fish... there are endless possibilities. Neon tetras, black neon tetras, green neon tetras, cardinal tetras, shrimp, fancy guppies, endlers, killifish, badis, pygmy gouramis, otos, dwarf and pygmy cories, pearl danios, ... the list goes on. Hey, you could even put a fully grown oscar in there! It's been done before (I highly do not recommend it. I was joking)...

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
Willamette
Planted Member

Perhaps some microrasboras. Nice school of boraras brigittae or merah...very nice colors if their happy.

...Also, harlequin or pork chop rasboras might be groovy.

(Please take the needed weeks to make sure your tank has completed its cycle before poisoning any innocent fish by tossing them in there too soon, or in too great of numbers...)
Willamette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

^ +1 do a fishless cycle... sick of the threads needing urgent help because their tank is in mid-cycle and they already fully stocked D:

harlequins would be really cool yeah.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictruong View Post
@ mitch - How many GP Tetras can I keep in a 10 gallon tank?
Im thinking 5-6 same if you go with rasboras
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
^ +1 do a fishless cycle... sick of the threads needing urgent help because their tank is in mid-cycle and they already fully stocked D:

harlequins would be really cool yeah.
Most definitely. Nothing's worse than to have a tank full of ammonia and half-dead fish.

I have cycled a tank with black neons, however, and didn't lose a single fish.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
erictruong
Algae Grower

@LB79 - Yes i will be using a fluval mini co2 kit although some say i can save money using a DIY co2 set up. I just don't find it really attractive having giant bottles beside my tank. I will also be dosing Flourite excel. are there any other supplements I should use for my tank?

@ williamette - The Harliquins are definitely a possibility. I like the colours on those and i Will be completing a fish less cycle before adding fish. I have seen a fish that looks the same but does not have the reddish colour, rather it has more of a blue tone to it, what fish is this??? And how many of these fish can I keep in the 10 gallon tank?

and so Is there no way I can keep 6 glass catfish in the planted tank?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I think glass cats need bigger tanks with good strong current and they won't appreciate your bright lighting from what I know.

As others have already mentioned you could get microrasboras. In a 10 gallon you could easily keep 24+ of them and make a nice big school. If you don't like the bright red boraras briggitae there's a ton of less colorful ones. Check out this page: http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

I love microdevario kubotai personally. Msjinkzd on this forum sells them.
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictruong View Post
@LB79 - Yes i will be using a fluval mini co2 kit although some say i can save money using a DIY co2 set up. I just don't find it really attractive having giant bottles beside my tank. I will also be dosing Flourite excel. are there any other supplements I should use for my tank
Because you have a CO2 source, and Excel is a carbon additive (it's not anywhere near as good as actual CO2, however), you probably don't need to use it. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive would be much better as it supplies the plants with the needed nutrients to grow.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

panda cories (if you can get them, they stay fairly small, never seen a big one), some sort of snail (reaserch what type you'd like), and then probably neon tetras or danios, my personal favorite are cobalt dwarf gourami's however you could probably only do like 2 in a 10 gallon and they aren't the easiest fish to care for.
ADJAquariums is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
markusdowny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Green Neo Tetras are great! Great schoolers! Small enough so that you can stock about 15 of them. Cute and outgoing guys.
markusdowny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
erictruong
Algae Grower

@ ADJ Aquariums - panda cores are definitely nice as well And I'm not a big fan of snails lol Rather get Otos

@ LB79 - Thanks I'll get some of that this week
Old 07-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
erictruong
Algae Grower

If i want to keep some shrimp in my 10 gallon, how will it affect my stocking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.