AH Supply Light
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

AH Supply Light

Hello everyone hope everyone and their tanks are okay after the storm. Anyways I just had a few questions about AH Supply's 55 watt Double Bright PC Kit to replace my 2X40 watt T12 light on my 55 gallon. First off, will this light kit be enough light to keep more plants than my current setup? Second, Will DIY CO2 be alright for this amount of light as I can not afford to buy a pressurized setup? I will have the light on for about 8 hours a day to help with algae and also anyone with experience with this kit could they tell me how safe this setup is? Thank You.

P.S. This is a cheap solution as I do not have alot of money to spend and also this could be a fun project for me and my Dad.

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

Old 07-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
estill
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I ran my 55 gallon with the dual 55watt kit with diy CO2 for a couple of years. It was a nice setup for crypts, java ferns, and low-med light stems.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

That is a good light level for a 55 gallon tank. It will give you low medium light at the substrate. With CO2 you can grow most plants very well with that, although at a slow growth rate. You don't need to use high CO2 concentrations in the water with low medium light, so DIY CO2 can work fine, but you do need to use two bottles, changing one bottle per week, to avoid having large variations in CO2 level which can encourage algae to grow. It is also best to change the bottle after the lights go out at night, so the CO2 production can build back up before the lights come back on.