BGA in my Discus Tank(2 of them), Question!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

BGA in my Discus Tank(2 of them), Question!

Okay so I've read about a lot of the best ways to treat BGA, but I was hoping someone might have some insight on my particular situation.

Specs: 33g, Eheim 2217, Catalina t5 lighting at about 5 hours a day, Nitrates at 20, no C02.

To catch up, it's been growing on the glass, on the sand and in spots on my plants. I recently removed a large piece of manzanita that was covered with moss. It had become a bit overgrown, and I think it was contributing to a lot of decaying plant matter. Since then I've been doing daily water changes.

I also increased flow in the tank. Previously I had the spray bar facing up to cause a ripple, I've since angled it so a current sweeps across the bottom of the tank where my sand is being kind of ruined. I also added an airstone, which I understand could be trouble, but it's currently the only thing providing any ripple. I'm feeding them frozen brine shrimp.

Should I be trying to increase my Nitrates? Is there anything available at the LFS that I can add to discourage growth? FYI my fish are all doing very well and I keep the water super clean. Especially the last month or so. Any info is greatly appreciated!
DrewWoodside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

Since you're doing daily wc, are you sure your nitrates are at 20? Also, which fixture from Catalina is it?
rocketdude1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Slingo
Algae Grower

I'd try adding some frogbit and/or seachem excel. Maybe dose with npk if that doesn't work?
Slingo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdude1234 View Post
Since you're doing daily wc, are you sure your nitrates are at 20? Also, which fixture from Catalina is it?
Hmm, I am doing constant WCs and I used a test strip and that's what it showed.. I'm wondering if I need a better tester.. Should I be looking to increase nitrates? Or would that be bad for my Discus? It's a T5 fixture. I was running a 65k and a 10k bulb, but since I'm just growing sunset hygro and anubias, I'm only running the 10K bulb now.. Hoping reducing light will give non desirables less reason to grow.
DrewWoodside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Ptyochromis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I was always under the impression that discuss needed nitrates under 10ppm. That T5 fixture is it HO(high output), and how many bulbs is it and is it sitting on top of the tank?
Also are your dimensions 48 x 12 3/4 x 13" or 36 x 12 x 18?
Your decaying plant matter could be contributing to your BGA but it is in no way the cause, but would cause your high nitrates(high nitrates ≠ BGA). My best guess without seeing your tank is that you have too much light for a tank that shallow, you do not have enough plants, and you do not have enough flow.
Remove the air stone and replace it with a water pump/powerhead; your plants will make all the O2 for your fish and BGA cannot grow in current. Flow doesn't have to be a raging torrent just enough to make your plants sway. On your surface you want ripples not splashing. Get fast growing plants like vals(if your water is soft maybe not), brazilian penny wort, water sprite, hygro, frogbait/duckweed, Cardamine, Narrow leaf Elodea, Baby Tears, basically anything green and is a stem. The more the better, aim for a 'thick' jungle look. Basically when you go to get your plants if you think you have enough, you probably don't. The object is to out compete the algae via more plants and better nutrient delivery via flow.
After you have done that adding glass/ghost shrimp will help keep it out (they love BGA).
Ptyochromis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.