Are these rocks safe???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
ramen lover
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Exclamation

Are these rocks safe???

Got these rocks for really cheap at the local garden center. i *think* they are some sort of quartz? they are white/gray and sparkle a lot. i poured some vinegar on them and didn't really see any bubbles. can anyone confirm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0399.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	50083  

ramen lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
CatB
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

should be fine. just scrub them down with hot water before you put them in your tank. or you could do a bleach/water soak, then rinse them until they don't smell. EDIT: (like bleach xD)
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
ramen lover
Planted Member

i just bought some pH Down from the pet store to pour on the rocks. i poured some on the rocks, i saw a few small bubbles (where there are cracks in the rocks), but the rock wasn't like fizzing a lot or foaming. would it be real noticable with ph down if the rocks were to react with it?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Put one of the rocks in a bucket of tank water, or RO.
Monitor the GH, KH, pH and TDS for at least a week.
If there are any changes, then continue testing for longer. If there are no changes in a week, then the rocks are probably fine, though running the test out for a couple of weeks would be better.

If there are changes, but very small ones, then you will be resetting the parameters every week (with weekly water changes) and the rocks are likely to still be OK, but maybe not for something as delicate as wild caught soft water fish.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

API Nitrate Test kit Bottle 1 is 41% Hydrochloric Acid, will determine if the rocks are inert.
I promise those rocks aren't inert, they will raise your KH!
But... it doesn't always matter, depending on your flora and fauna and tap water a high KH might be okay.

Last edited by Chlorophile; 07-04-2012 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: To add more info
Chlorophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
ramen lover
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
API Nitrate Test kit Bottle 1 is 41% Hydrochloric Acid, will determine if the rocks are inert.
I promise those rocks aren't inert, they will raise your KH!
But... it doesn't always matter, depending on your flora and fauna and tap water a high KH might be okay.
what is KH? i heard i don't want a rock that will raise the pH. i poured some pH down on them and i could hear them fizz a little bit, but they weren't foaming or fizzing like crazy. do you think these rocks might be okay?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramen lover View Post
what is KH? i heard i don't want a rock that will raise the pH. i poured some pH down on them and i could hear them fizz a little bit, but they weren't foaming or fizzing like crazy. do you think these rocks might be okay?
KH is your carbonate hardness, these rocks will almost definitely raise your KH, which many plants and fish hate.

The result of high KH is that your pH will be pretty high and it will be harder to get it lower.

If you have API Nitrate test kit bottle #1 just put a drop on the rocks and it will foam, in comparison if you put a drop on something like granite it will not foam.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

The rocks are probably limestone or dolostone, which are mostly carbonate sedimentary rocks. They aren't inert if that is what they are.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

I would agree -- these don't look like they'll be inert. A bucket test (I usually make sure mine stay about the same temp as the tank, as the elements in some rocks can leach more readily in warm as opposed to cold water) should help you determine if they'll be okay. I usually go for quartz or granite (we have an abundance of both just lying around here), which seem to work pretty well in my tanks.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

If you do a bucket test, keep in mind that typically the water in your bucket isnt as acidic as the water in your tank will be once you have aquasoil and co2.

If you wont be using co2 or aquasoil then it doesnt really matter and you can just go with whatever rocks you want, less acidic tanks don't see as much leeching.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

like Diana said you should probably keep the rocks in a bucket of tank water and test throught a certain period of time, if it chsnges anything drastically i wouldnt use them
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
ramen lover
Planted Member

i've been running tests on these the past few days and here are my results so far..

1) small clumps inside of glass cup with water - regular pH of my water is 7.4.. and the cup with the rocks in it is also 7.4.

2) put a large boulder inside a 5 gallon bucket of water.. added almost 2 cups of distilled vinegar. tested pH at the beginning.. was 6.0. tested pH again today (1 day later) still at 6.0.

3) put some nitrate test #1 directly on one of the rocks. saw some very tiny bubbles. not many. it didn't fizz really and didn't foam.

with these results.. if they stay the same in about another day..d o you think they are okay to use?

Last edited by ramen lover; 07-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
Callyft
Algae Grower

Looks like limestone (calcium carbonate) and it'll fizz with HCl dropped on it...would have been formed from ancient underwater deposits. Dolomite (or "dolostone") is whiter and blockier where it fractures.
Callyft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #14
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I also think it's some sort of carbonate.

All of the sparkles on the broken surfaces are likely cleavage planes from where individual crystals broke.

Quartz doesn't really have any cleavage planes (it breaks like glass), but calcite and dolomite do.

try scratching it with a knife or a nail (anything pointy and steel). If you can scratch the rock with steel, it's probably a carbonate. if you can't, it's probably a silicate (grossly oversimplified)

If you do frequent water changes, or have a lot of driftwood/peat in your tank, you might be okay, but I still wouldn't use it unless you are trying for a rift lake type tank.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
ramen lover
Planted Member

Thanks all. I ended up not using these a few months back. Used some other rocks for my tank (in my sig).