25 Gallon Honey Gourami Haven - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Jubs
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looks awesome! Great job! I love the footprint of the tank!
Eheim Pimp #232 Nikon Pimp #69
Jubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #17
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
VERY COOL TANK!!!

The scape and plants you used are GREAT!!!!! Can't wait to see how it grows in! Sorry I can't help on shrimp, as I have not been able to get into them, YET!!

Keep up the great work!
Drew
Thank you! It's really starting to grow on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew
P.S.

What kind of leaves are you using in the tank?
Indian Almond Leaves. I'm thinking next week it will be time to add 4 or 5 more. I tear them up a bit, they sink faster that way and make it easier to put them where I want them, rather then let them cover up all the little plants growing in random places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubs
Looks awesome! Great job! I love the footprint of the tank!
Thank you! I'm quite taken with the footprint myself. Really about the perfect size, though sometimes I wish the glass were a bit thinner. Haha.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #18
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Update night!

It's certainly been a few months. Due to some, unforeseen circumstances, this tank got some serious neglect from the middle of August, to the end of September.

It's never looked better.

Does anyone elses aquariums seem to do BEST, when completely neglected. No water changes, barely any topoffs, just left to grow wild and free? Cuz when I was finally able to get back to it, my algae problem was gone, my shrimp colony had exploded, and everything else seemed to have settled in really, really well. I gave it another week or so before I pulled out all of the anacharis, half the rotala, and did some rearranging. At this point in time, I'm pretty pleased with it's progress.

While I still only have about half a dozen adult shrimp in the tank, I have probably at least 50 or 60 juvies. Mind, that's only as many as I can count outright, who knows how many are hiding back in the depths of the tank. Possibly I'm looking at 2-3x as many. The bolbitus still has a long ways to go, in the land of being filled out, but it's making steady progress, and moving along faster then I was expecting. Perhaps by as early as the beginning of next year, it will really start to look like what I'm picturing in my head. The rotala, ultimately, won't stay forever. As soon as I can find something to put there, it will be going. Ultimately, I'd like some vals of some sort to line that back corner, but the 6 week debacle of bad things happening pretty much tapped my fish tank fund. Thus, it will have to stay mostly uninhabited for a while longer.

I'm not really sure what I want to put in it anyway. Originally, it was setup for licorice, or chocolate gouramis. Possibly with a healthy school of pymgy cories, but I've also played around with the idea of guppies, killis, or a pair of dwarf cichlids. I'm thinking they would make a real mess of the dirt though, so not sure how I feel about that. Totally open to suggestions though! Mind, it will probably just be shrimp for at least a few more months. Ultimately, I want their colony to grow and stabilize before I add anything in there that will start munching on them.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ah, well, I lie even to myself. Went to go sell my trimmings from my tanks back to the petstore today, and happened upon an incredible pair of honey gouramis. One of my all time favorite fish. So, they came home with me, as well as the last sparkling gourami in the shop, that was from the group I ordered for my other tank back in July. I tossed him into the 25 for now, to recuperate before being introduced into the 8 gallon. He was fat, but missing most of his tail, and genuinely looking pretty bad.

Anywho. The last of the stem plants were pulled from this tank on Tuesday, and a 2 more crypts and a few sprigs of bolbitus were added. I think I'm officially done rearranging the scape. At this point it out it should all be maintenance type things for the foreseeable future.

I snapped a few quick shots tonight, but between the obsessive amounts of duckweed, and the tannin stained water, they certainly aren't my best work.

We call him George.

Thus far, she remains nameless.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

great tank
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
Shi Guy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great, very organic, looking tank! Honey Gouramis are one of my faves as well. One of the few freshwater fish with colors that rival its saltwater relatives.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi Guy View Post
Great, very organic, looking tank! Honey Gouramis are one of my faves as well. One of the few freshwater fish with colors that rival its saltwater relatives.
Thanks! I'm inclined to agree! The colors are just So rich and vibrant. All of the males at the petstore were incredible. This happened to be the only one who'd chosen a female though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
great tank
Thank you!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #23
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welp, sat down next to my tank today after doing a load of dishes, and noticed George guarding a small nest of bubbles. Laughed, and wondered if it was intentional or not, when the unnamed female came up, they embraced and eggs were layed. He's still going at it, scoping up the egg and putting them back into the nest. I don't know how many are in there, and I'm not going to go through any great efforts to save this first batch of eggs, as I figure they'll be more. Still. For just over 24 hours in the tank, I call that pretty impressive. Go George.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #24
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

some awesome photos of the shrimp, wow i missed them the first time i looked at your thread
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #25
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL. Thanks! My SLR is bordering on ancient, but we still do ok sometimes, considering I have no external flash.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice tank! That was some fast action... But I'm guessing he's a first time parent which could be problematic. Good luck!
RAOK Club #31

The Fraternity of Dirt #96

Looking for free easy trimmings. (Pennywort, moss, terrestrial, aquatic, emersed, etc) So PM me maybe.

My tanks-->http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187460
Robotponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #27
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I suspect they both are. They're pretty small, barely over an inch long. It looks like most of the clutch got eaten over night by the sparkling gourami who's hanging out in the tank, but dad is being VERY protective over what's left. The sparkler and the female are now living in the back of the tank, behind the wood and plants, letting dad have the front to tend to the eggs that are left prowl around chasing shrimp. I doubt I'll have any survivors this round, but he's doing an excellent job tending to them, all things considered. Hopefully the next time they breed, I can have the sparkling gourami out of there, my microworm culture in full swing, and be a little more prepared for them.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rescaped!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/92%)

HOLY SMOKES I love the new scape!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I wonder if removing much of the leaf litter means that more shrimp will become dinner? Whatever, love the tank, the rockscape, the gouramis.

As for George's mate, I suggest "Martha."
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote