Help: Plants that stay bushy and low ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
heavenlyevil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help: Plants that stay bushy and low ?

Are there any plants for low tech (around mid light, no CO2) that stay bushy and low (not more than 4 inches) for mid ground ?

Thanks you
heavenlyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
rusty1760
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Default Blyxa Japonica

You might try Blyxa Japonica, it should do OK if your lighting is not too low and if your substrate is decent ( otherwise use root tabs or osmacote tabs ) I have some growing in a muddied tank with low light and it does OK but the growth is extremely slow. The nice thing about Blyxa is that it is not invasive and grows nice and bushy probably 4 inch max. PM me if you want any.
rusty1760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

What about a smaller Crypt?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Consider Lotuses - Red or Tiger (Nymphaea). They can easily be 'trained' to stay low & bushy, and do well in low-tech - no CO2.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

If you trim staurogyne repens often, or get staurogyne "low grow", that will form a nice bush.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Stauro is great for that purpose. I find blyxa is as well. I've got a couple of Erios in my 20L that are quite bushy as well....not sure of the sp though.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

Both Hydrocotyle tripartita and Bacopa australis meet those requirements. Though, both will require trimming and training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyevil View Post
Are there any plants for low tech (around mid light, no CO2) that stay bushy and low (not more than 4 inches) for mid ground ?

Thanks you
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I second the hydrocotyle tripartita. That stuff grows like a weed, even with decent frogbit cover and no co2. It'll try to grow up and out, but just start tucking a bit of it under the substrate and it'll start growing laterally. Dwarf sag is also a good bet. Mine has been staying around 4-5 inches, with the occasional leaf growing longer. As the leaves get longer, they tend to start leaning sideways instead of just growing straight up, so it'll fill in nicely.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I have grown Blyxa Japonica great with no CO2. HM is decent choice, just trim it into a bush. It is very "shapable" so you can make a nice bush with it. It does fine without CO2 but I haven't had as much luck with other plants. Tiger lotus is the same, it requires trimming, or training more so, but can stay compact, and it's easier to keep it compact without CO2.

Or you can choose any stems that you like and trim them into a small bush. I know HM is a stem as well but it's a bit more easily trimmed into a bush. Various Rotala species would work, sunset hygro if the leave size doesn't bother you, among others.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
SaltyNC
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
HM is decent choice, just trim it into a bush. It is very "shapable" so you can make a nice bush with it. It does fine without CO2 but I haven't had as much luck with other plants. Tiger lotus is the same, it requires trimming, or training more so, but can stay compact, and it's easier to keep it compact without CO2.
You mention HM is a decent choice. What are the negatives that prevent it from being stellar? I'm also looking for a compact bushy plant and HM is on my very short list of candidates. Thanks!

Salty
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
You mention HM is a decent choice. What are the negatives that prevent it from being stellar? I'm also looking for a compact bushy plant and HM is on my very short list of candidates. Thanks!

Salty
Well, I have had problems in some of my low tech tanks (as a carpet). It's done perfectly fine in others. The only reason I said "decent" is that you will have to trim it.

Their is one negative depending on how big the bush is. Sometimes the lower leaves can suffer. This is true of many plants but it seems to be more prevalent on HM. It really would only bug me if it was very noticeable. Being that you want it about 4 inch and in the midground, any yellow leaves shouldn't be an issue and if it is, you will likely be able to cover it up.

It is one of my favorite plants and I wouldn't hesitate to try it if I were you. I bet it will work out great for you.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
SaltyNC
Planted Member

Thanks for the details on HM, Matt.
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote