TapATalk Soon To Be Deactivated - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > The Planted Tank Information > Important Update/Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #46
Frontieruk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You guys know tapatalk basically parses the forum it loads and strips the extra bits not required, which is what a good mobile theme will do, hopefully tpt will make navigation an important part of their mobile template as easy access to subs and separate and recently update forums is important.
Frontieruk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #47
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

So the majority of people visit plantedtank.net not because they are hooked on planted tanks, but because the forum loads quickly on a certain app? Jeez, I used to visit the forum on dial up.
jcgd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #48
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
Why not just develop an app for iOS and Android? That would make things much easier, and we would have no security issues. A mobile website just sounds like a pain in the neck. You could have the forum added to forum runner. That would be a temporary fix.
Sounds so simple, yet it is very hard or everyone else would be coding their own Tapatalk mobile apps. iNET is no slouch when it comes to available coding talent. They decided it was costing more time than it was worth trying to reinvent the wheel. They looked at security as a top priority. If Kyle says Tapatalk has to go, for whatever reason, then it's gotta go. I come here for the planted tanks and vast knowledge base of fellow hobbyists, not the Tapatalk convenience.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #49
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

So what mobile app will we need to download to use the forum on mobile phones?

Please let us know.

The reason I have to use Tapatalk is because it's the only way I can upload photos off my phone. I don't own a computer. I can't upload photos on the main TPT website for some reason from my phone.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #50
Frontieruk
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
So what mobile app will we need to download to use the forum on mobile phones?

Please let us know.

The reason I have to use Tapatalk is because it's the only way I can upload photos off my phone. I don't own a computer. I can't upload photos on the main TPT website for some reason from my phone.
What phone do you have?
Frontieruk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #51
D9VIN
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
So the majority of people visit plantedtank.net not because they are hooked on planted tanks, but because the forum loads quickly on a certain app? Jeez, I used to visit the forum on dial up.
Some people might be willing to engage in a chain mail circle to get advice on planted tanks too. And when you got a better connection, did you get more out of the forums? There would still be members and traffic in whatever form tpt takes, but I personally don't have time with my pc that often, and I have yet to see a mobile site or forum specific app that is as simple and organized. I am no forum master anyway, but learning a different app for each forum I use pretty much equates to me having less actual use of the forums and more time spent on a learning curve.

In other words, I am to learn more about plants, not forum tools. Tapatalk is easy.
D9VIN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #52
BS87
Planted Member

Tapatalk being incredibly "less secure" or having a lot of security issues is simply false. I've seen that same excuse used time and time again on forums that invest into ads. I'd be fine with a dedicated TPT forum app (ala another of my favorite forums, www.nasioc.com), but a mobile site just does not compare. You may think it will, but in the end, it's not as smooth or simple, unless you pay someone to do it perfectly, in which case you're spending more money than you would lose by allowing tapatalk.

I'll still visit regardless, and admit Tapatalk has it's faults, but to switch because of "security" is a joke.
BS87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #53
ROZDAB
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

Dang I too only have tapatalk for this forum. Nice waste of money. I think those funds should go towards a bronze membership here now or atleast a discount.
ROZDAB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #54
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Bummed to see Tapatalk go as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #55
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
I tried tapatalk and never really got into it so I don't see why all the complaining about how it will reduce your time on the forum.

I load up the new posts page from my favorites, scroll down the list and view what i want, its braindead simple and really takes no more time than if I was to view on my desktop.

Hooray for tpt n down with tapatalk
Not everyone live behind their computers
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #56
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

I tried out the mobile site for a few minutes today when I noticed it was working. It was actually quite nice, and this is coming from somebody who generally hates mobile versions.

The loading was noticeably faster than the desktop version on my iPhone and all the information I like (last post time, poster, etc.) was there. That's what I usually shun mobile sites... they leave too much info out.

Has anyone else tried out the mobile version yet?

On another note... in general, is the internet speed in the US usually slower than in Canada on mobile phones? I don't really notice any difference between loading pages on my phone when I'm running on 3G or high speed (on the laptop or phone). Just wondering if I don't get a lag the rest of you might?
jcgd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #57
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The Opera browser is pretty functional with mobile devices when using the normal page views. Don't need no stinkin' mobile skins.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #58
Sdavis1982
Planted Member

The thing i will miss is the taptalk latest unread. Other wise mobile site worked nicely

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Sdavis1982 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #59
sevenyearnight
Planted Tank Obsessed

I noticed that there is no way to access participated threads from the mobile site, could that option be enabled? It's very important to many people.

Ram Biotope
sevenyearnight is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #60
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyearnight View Post
I noticed that there is no way to access participated threads from the mobile site, could that option be enabled? It's very important to many people.
One of the main reasons I use tapatalk (allows me to easily read this thread for the other complaints!)
TWA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.