TapATalk Soon To Be Deactivated - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > The Planted Tank Information > Important Update/Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #31
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Total bummer!!! I spend 95% of my time on the forum on tapatalk on my iPhone. IMO, mobile versions of forums are a complete waste. And non-functional. I probably won't be on the forum much anymore. This really really sucks!! Please make an app for TpT. Your going to alienate a lot of users...
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #32
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Total bummer!!! I spend 95% of my time on the forum on tapatalk on my iPhone. IMO, mobile versions of forums are a complete waste. And non-functional. I probably won't be on the forum much anymore. This really really sucks!! Please make an app for TpT. Your going to alienate a lot of users...
oh I don't think its going to alienate people, I do agree you will probably see a cut down on site traffic but not nessecarily the number of people. just the hits in a day.

But their safety is our safety I see no wrong with the forum protecting its members a minor inconvenience possibly but not life altering.

I do really like the idea of tpt app... I would donate .99 to that!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #33
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
I must be weird. I've never used tapatalk and I find mobile sites to be a curse. It always seems like the one think I'm looking for (feature or link or whatever) is cut from the mobile version.

If I could figure out how to disguise my phone as a desktop it would be great. I've always browsed the full version.
Lol me too!!!
Mobile sites are pain, and tapatalk was too!
I can't ever find what I want on them and always opt out for the full version.
It's even more annoying when the site won't let you access the normal website and just keep redirecting you to mobile.

That being said I'm excited to see how this turns out. Maybe I'll like whats happening. I'm always willing to give it a shot!
Eldachleich is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
oh I don't think its going to alienate people, I do agree you will probably see a cut down on site traffic but not nessecarily the number of people. just the hits in a day.

But their safety is our safety I see no wrong with the forum protecting its members a minor inconvenience possibly but not life altering.

I do really like the idea of tpt app... I would donate .99 to that!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Maybe alienate is the wrong word. I dec pay $ for an app.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #35
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Good choice IMO, however, for those hatin' on the choice, maybe in the future an app made just for TPT would be better? You could then have it for free, or $.99 and support the forum in yet another way, and make everyone happy. It would take a lot of time to do, I know, but just a thought.
that is my thoguhts. one other forum I frequent 18+ (won't post here) has their own and I like it even better than their desktop lol
TheNamelessPoet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #36
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (378/100%)

TapaTalk is so easy to use and fast too ... I'll miss it for sure

Let's see how the Mobile site works...
speedie408 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #37
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

lmao this site has me hooked with or without tapatalk. I see myself hitting refresh on the full version on my iphone all the time.

I'm glad I just was to cheap to buy the app, every dollar went to ^that guy and a few others for shrimps
every dollar counts xD
Bananariot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #38
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Is Tapatalk really a security risk or is it mainly just the ad/content control issues? I know they might alter the ad views by not showing the links and costing ad hit revenue.

BTW iNET was against Tapatalk for quite awhile, but after much user demand and seeing how much developer time it would cost to dupe, they've been working to roll out Tapatalk later this year.

I bought Tapatalk for posting just in this forum, but I mostly use my desktop 99% of the time so no big deal.

Edit: Opera mobile is very good if you don't have tapatalk or mobile skin functionality. If I browse mobile, I go full content with Opera. Most mobile skins sorta suck IMO.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #39
D9VIN
Algae Grower

One of the main things I enjoy about tat is most of my forums in one place. Plus with the saved searches, it's pretty simple to flip through forums looking for one thing. I honestly rarely use any of the forums I am a member of that don't support tapatalk.

I wish there were a way for forums to advertise through them though. It is a pretty big flaw.
D9VIN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #40
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (69/100%)

My understanding is that Tapatalk's security is so weak that users are at risk for having passwords hacked.

If anyone here has ever had their CC #s and bank and email passwords stolen (I have!)- much less been a victim of identity theft- then I'd think you'd be jumping off the Tapatalk bandwagon a whole lot more quickly...

I love convenience, but not at the expense of my personal and financial security.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #41
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tried tapatalk and never really got into it so I don't see why all the complaining about how it will reduce your time on the forum.

I load up the new posts page from my favorites, scroll down the list and view what i want, its braindead simple and really takes no more time than if I was to view on my desktop.

Hooray for tpt n down with tapatalk

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #42
maknwar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)

I'm definitely not happy with the removal of tapatalk. Every mobile site I've used has been worse than tapatalk. You would think with all the mobile devices in the world, we would have better choices than a dumbed down low optioned mobile version site. If tapatalk has so many issues, then all of us that use it need to take it up with tapatalk.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #43
maxwellag
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Why not just develop an app for iOS and Android? That would make things much easier, and we would have no security issues. A mobile website just sounds like a pain in the neck. You could have the forum added to forum runner. That would be a temporary fix.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #44
CalmSeasQuest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
My understanding is that Tapatalk's security is so weak that users are at risk for having passwords hacked.

If anyone here has ever had their CC #s and bank and email passwords stolen (I have!)- much less been a victim of identity theft- then I'd think you'd be jumping off the Tapatalk bandwagon a whole lot more quickly...

I love convenience, but not at the expense of my personal and financial security.
Tapatalk is used by millions of users (it's the #1 paid app in Android and #5 in Apple) on 35,000+ forums including security-centric sites such as XDAdevelopers. I seriously doubt that Google and Apple would promote an application with major security flaws.

As a past identity theft victim, I am also concerned about security. After a quick search prompted by your comments, I was unable to locate any un-patched security concerns or any instance of identity theft attributed to Tapatalk. Although I disagree, I'm sure TPT has reasons for the removal of Tapatalk however - I don't believe it appropriate to alarm users with seemingly unfounded concerns about security.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

12G Long Iwagumi
12G Rimless Club
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #45
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post

As a past identity theft victim, I am also concerned about security. After a quick search prompted by your comments, I was unable to locate any un-patched security concerns or any instance of identity theft attributed to Tapatalk. Although I disagree, I'm sure TPT has reasons for the removal of Tapatalk however - I don't believe it appropriate to alarm users with seemingly unfounded concerns about security.
+1. SNS users virtually always use Paypal; there's no reason for financial transaction information to pass through Tapatalk.

I'd be willing to bet loss of ad revenue is the biggest complaint sites have against Tapatalk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.