extra 5x cree XML leds
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Gamezawy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

extra 5x cree XML leds

i have 5x Extra cree XML leds

so i thought i could use them in my 10 galon tank to replacing 2 CFL lamps

so do you think 5x cree XML leds are enoph to light my tank if i run them with 3 AM so every led will give about 10w about 1000 lumen per led so all of them will be about 50w about 5000 lumen

my tank is 15 inch hight 15 inch long 10 inch deepth

main plant is HC carpet with some anubias nana . java fern . sword amazon and fox tail
Gamezawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

That will work fine, actually giving you much more light than you need. If you run them at about 900 mAmps, with them sitting right on top of the tank, no optics, you should get about 40 micromols of PAR. But, running the current up beyond 2 amps gives you over 100 micromols, which is way too much for the plants you mentioned. Even 40 micromols might be a problem if you don't use DIY CO2. At about 700 mAmps you would get around 30 micromols, which is high for low light.

You could reduce the number of LEDs to 4, spacing them at 3.75 inches apart, and get about 35 micromols at about 1.4 amps. Finding a LED driver that will work with 4 LEDs might be a problem.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Gamezawy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

thanks man so much and about the drivers its not a problem at all i know a shop that makes any driver with the voltag and current you want

and one last thing will this light as you said 4 leds spacing them at 3.75 inches apart runs at 1.4 amps will be good to grow HC carpet ?
Gamezawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

The most critical thing for growing HC is good CO2. Perhaps a little more light would make growing it easier, up to 40-45 micromols of PAR. Using all 5 LEDs, 3 inch spacing, running at about 900 mAmps does that for you. If you can get the driver made as a dimmable driver, that would let you run more or less light as you find you need.