8g Ebi - "Jungle Fever" (New FTS and pics Oct 1 2012)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

8g Ebi - "Jungle Fever" (New FTS and pics Oct 1 2012)

New FTS - October 1, 2012
Details in Post #24

Here's my second tank I've got up and running in the new apartment, an 8g Ebi, completely started over from its previous life. It'll probably be rescaped somewhat in a month or two once I have to change desks and reposition it. And later on I'll move Bob out and get some shrimp to scurry about it.

Tank as of 27/06/2012

Substrate:
-Seachem Flourite Black

Flora:
-Way more Dwarf sag than there should be (some of it will be moved or traded with local aquarists in time)
-Vallisneria nana
-Moss balls
-Driftwood with Flame Moss at the base and Weeping Moss at the top (though they both look pretty haggard, so hopefully they'll turn around and be salvageable), and a rock with Anubias barteri Nana wedged onto it
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko'
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'
-Narrow leaf Java Fern
-African Water Fern
-Cage with Christmas moss in it stuck to the side at the back
-Duckweed
-And one little mystery sprig at the front corner that piggybacked on some other plants. Might be Dwarf Hair Grass, but we'll see if it survives (it's only about 5 strands at the moment)

Filter:
-Stock Fluval Nano internal, but I've got a Fluval 105 I got at a heavy discount waiting in the wings to be set up once the tank moves to its final resting location

Lighting:
-Stock Fluval PCL 13w with a fresh bulb

Fauna:
-Betta Ray Bob, the Crowntail Betta (Bob to his friends)
-Frank, the Zebra Snail
-Otto, the Otocinclus

Last edited by SomeCanuck; 10-02-2012 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: New FTS
SomeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

wow I LOVE the way that tank looks,
look forward to updates
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
wow I LOVE the way that tank looks,
look forward to updates
Thank you kindly.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I saw you on reedit

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
I saw you on reedit
I don't know what you're talking about... >_> hehe
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

So I'm pretty certain that all the weeping moss at the top of the branch is going to end up dead at this point. It's almost entirely turned a "nice" shade of very pale yellow with a bare hint of green. I'm thinking it might have been the transition from a few days in the dark while I was waiting to set up the tank, coupled with high-ish light that close to the surface of the tank and a lack of CO2. Not very happy with losing it considering all the effort I went through to find some locally, but I'll chalk it up to my inexperience and call it a learning experience.

Still gonna give it a chance for another week or 2 and hope that some of it might be able to turn around, but if there's no sign of life by then, I'll probably drain the tank down mid-way, pull it all off and start looking for alternatives.

Do you folks think fissidens fontanus would make a decent tree effect and be able to survive that close to the light?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

OK, so, been more than a little bit, but the tank has been up in its new scape and location for about a month now and I'm no longer embarrassed by how badly I messed up.

FTS Ė 04/09/2012

Suffice to say that any and all moss that had been in it originally died because it dried out before being submersed, due to my noobishness. Good news is that I learnt my lesson on that front and the new moss I ordered from one fellow Canadian and some fine chaps in the UK is doing great. The weeping moss is really starting to come into its own and is growing like mad. The flame moss is growing well, but very thin. And I had some coral moss in there as well for a time, but Iíve come to loathe it; itís brittle and doesnít stick to anything and just falls apart constantly no matter what I do. Itís been moved to my little 5.5g snail and moss farm (+ Betta Ray Bob), but thatís a thread for another time.

I'm no longer dosing Flourish Excel because I'm pretty sure it was killing all my vals and dwarf sag. I dose macros sporadically, because everything seems to be doing well enough on that front and at only 13w I donít see a need for heavy fertilizing. I do think I need to start dosing micros though, because Iíve noticed some pale new growth and the dwarf sag and val seem to be developing hole in the middle of the leaves; micros start tomorrow.

As far as flora, pretty much all the same as last time: a weeping and flame moss tree (actually alive this time!); african water fern; narrow java fern; val nana; dwarf sag; green gecko, mi oya and tropica crypts; fissidens fontanus on the glass; a chunk of lace rock covered in leftover weeping moss; a marimo ball and random floaters.

And as for fauna, Iíve got 7 chili rasboras (I think and hope, though theyíre still awfully pale), 5 RCS (not regular, but certainly not PFR), Turbo the apple snail, Jekyll and Hekyll the otos, Tooth the horned nerite and a fistful of MTS.

I also finally set up the Fluval 105 and itís doing quite good so far, though Iíll be honest, next time Iíll probably go Eheim just for the ease of swapping out the hosing and what not. Although, I did come to a blissful realization: the stock hosing from a Fluval 105 fits perfectly snug over a ĹĒ hose connector with only minor wiggling and cursing involved. So that (and the fact the smallest PVC piping I could find anywhere nearby was ĹĒ) is why Iíve got that huge white spray bar at the back. Iíll eventually invest in some lily pipes, but for now it does a great job of breaking down the flow enough so my chilis arenít spending all their time fighting the current. My first little piece of DIY and I'm glad it actually went well!

Closing shot, BOOM!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank, very good job. The chili rasboras look great but one of them appears to be a maculata rasbora. It is the one with the spot instead of the horizontal stripe.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Yeah, I'm still not convinced whether they're chilis or maculatas... I've had them for about 3 weeks now and they're still all pretty pale (not nearly as bright as some of the pictures make them out to be). They all came out of the same tank from the LFS which supposedly housed only chilis (since I can't find any in clubs or online in Canada) and it was the owner I spoke to when buying them and he assured me they were all chilis, but the colouration and the spotting on some of them still has me uncertain. At least they're all active and healthy, schooling very nicely. I'll probably be picking up another half dozen over the weekend (whether they're chilis or not), just because it's been impossible to find any nano fish that size.

Also, sidebar from my other (as yet unposted) tank, but is my Amano pregnant or just working on a whole lotta poop after eating a giant piece of zucchini? 0_o
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Drift Monkey
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Cool tank, good to see another person still rockin the ebi!
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
Cool tank, good to see another person still rockin the ebi!
Thanks! I think it's a great little form factor. Doesn't take up too much room, but at the same time still allows a good amount of space for plants and critters.

Also, as a sidebar, after carefully examining the fish by keeping them at the front of the tank with a feeder ring up, it appears that I might have 6 b brigittae and 1 b maculatus. They're all schooling together, seemingly without noticing it, so I'm happy about that at least.

And now that the DIY spray bar on the 105 has broken down the flow a bit and I've started feeding them cyclops, they're starting to colour up pretty nicely. One of the smallest ones actually seems to be developing dominant male colouring. Should be picking up another half dozen this weekend if I get lucky, so more pics to come at that time!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

No new pics yet because I couldn't find any more boraras brigittae, so the school is still at 7 of them. Colours also haven't changed much since the other day. I also lost 3 shrimp over the past week, so I've only got 3 left. I checked all the parameters, and the only thing off that I could find was nitrates (almost 20ppm) so I threw in another handful of duckweed to hopefully suck a bunch of it up. Hopefully I'll be able to find new ones soon, if not there's a group buy being organized locally that I might order some PFRs from.

In potentially good and/or interesting news, I think one of my otocinclus is pregnant. Either that or it's gotten massively fat in the 3 weeks since I bought it, while it's "partner" has remained nice and slim. If she ever comes out from the back of the tank, hiding in the narrow leaf java fern, I'll be sure to snap a pic.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #13
Drift Monkey
Planted Member

How many Otos you got in there?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

2 otos. One of them is clearly smaller than the other, but that could also just be an age difference. Hopefully it won't be something like dropsy, but the clearly fatter of the two seems to be healthy in all regards other than just being fat (not just chubby from eating well).
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Drift Monkey
Planted Member

You could probably stand to add a couple more...they love to be in groups! I plan on 6 in my Ebi.

Tags
ebi, nano