The Planted Tank Forum banner

Marko's Emersed (No-Longer-)Outdoors Setup -- Bucephalandra Flower (8/24/13)

22K views 70 replies 27 participants last post by  jczz1232 
#1 · (Edited)
so i decided to start some things off emersed, to see if i could handle it. i have a container of stagnant water and some small pots with miracle grow in it. a few weeks after starting one small setup i now have this:

and now im starting a second larger one (here it is so far):

i will try and get more/better shots tomorrow.

any suggestions on what i should try to grow? or how to get the stuff to grow better?

See less See more
#5 ·
Marko....need to know what you are growing and the current conditions you have before we can recommend anything! ;) How much sun does it get, what are the temps, and so on!
excellent point(s).
species so far:
mystery plant (one in the top left of the first pic)
p. helferi
h. tiger
l. sessiliflora
e. belem
m. pteporus trident
u. graminifolia
r. fluitans
xmas moss
c. wendtii brown
c. parva
c. spiralis

receiving bright shade, temps are NJ temps (will vary from 75-100 over the course of the summer), i have not ever misted yet, and nothing is drying out, though the crypts were just planted today.
i tried moving the first setup into the sun for a few hours (to slowly acclimate the plants to sun so they could be grown there where they should grow faster), but when i came back they were yellow and dead. the e. belem grew back from the roots though, and the hygro, riccia, and moss grew back from i dont know what. i guess little bits survived and regenerated.

#6 ·
You could use a screen to provide some shading, but I would not leave this out in the sun in 100F weather!! It'll melt everything in there, even if there is water in there....think "soup"!

I would take somewhere a little more temperature controlled, for starters. A clear aquarium would be ideal, in terms of lighting, but what you have it in should be fine. Bright light with warm temps, but nothing too extreme!! Keep it moist. Boom, your done. :D

#9 ·
everything is growing nicely so far. here are some pics of the progress.

setup 1:

mystery stem:

h. tiger:

new shoots on p. helferi:

r. fluitans:

moss:

setup 2:

new leaf on a. petite:

new leaf on c. wendtii brown:

my first bruce - b. sanggua:

new leaf on c. spiralis:

#11 ·
my bruce is opening its first new leaf!

updated species list
p. helferi
h. tiger
l. sessiliflora
e. belem
m. pteporus trident
u. graminifolia
r. fluitans
xmas moss
c. wendtii brown
c. parva
c. spiralis
b. sanggua
r. mexicana
r. green
g. elitinoides
h. glomeratus
p. kawegaounum
d. diandra

updated pics:

#14 ·
thanks.
the r. mexicana is var. goias.
the r. mexicana, r. green, d. diandra, h. glomeratus, g. elatinoides, and p. kawegaeunum are recent additions (just added saturday), but are already showing signs of growth. the glosso and r. mexicana particularly.
i also have m. pteporus "threadleaf" (not needleleaf, threadleaf); id never even heard of it before, but when i saw the pic, i had to have it; and lileopsis mini on the way.

#18 ·
the h. tiger and nelsonia sp. are trying to take over. did a massive hack job on them, and will make a trade thread in the sns with the cuttings.
here are pics:

before trim:

cuttings:

after:

c. wendtii brown has grown so much:

the c. parva arent doing bad either:

bruce is growing another new leaf:

a. petite is growing:

and forming new growth points:

p. kawagoeanum transitioned very quickly, and is now growing great:

d. diandra has transitioned, and will now start growing (hopefully):

same with r. goais:

and l. mini:

here is the older setup:

and here is the new growth on the p. helferi after i trimmed the tops:

#23 · (Edited)
sorry i never responded guys.

Kiran: thanks bro.

Chris: thank you.
the anubias was planted into the soil. had some nice long roots already when i went to plant it, so i figured why not stick them in. the bruce however was simply pressed ontop as its longest root was maybe .5"
ill occasionally squirt a little miracle grow fertilizer in there. i dont think they really need it at this point.
no WCs, as im not really adding any water and hardly fertilizing. WCs are to keep salts from accumulating, but since im not adding any, no need to remove any.

Marconis: thanks.

ok, so this whole setup has been moved indoors. for the past week its been sitting inside with a 32w PC bulb over it. since i dont have a spare timer, ive been leaving the bulb on 24/7 and am loving the results. the persicaria is particularly happy with it, and everything else is growing better than before (it was outside, but in shade outside). hopefully this will convince the lileopsis mini to go back to growing mini. right now its leaves are taller than l. mauritiana, but i understand that the lileopsis all grow taller emersed than subersed.
pics:

#25 ·
not sure what the ecological or biochemical explanation is, but i kept bog plants before, including flytraps, which like to be in waterlogged soil (thats essentially what is going on here), and it never molded or algaefied.

#28 ·
think its a little overgrown:

so i gave it a trim. got a bunch of the plants from here for sale. and others just replanted so i build up more of them. here are some highlight photos post trim:

c. wendtii brown:

l. vietnam mini:

thought this was where my r. colorata was, but no longer sure:

s. repens:

h. lorentziana:

my bruce has come a long way:

my hygro and p. helferi:

l. mini:

another hygro:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.