8G Shrimp tank - Lots of macro photos (56k) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks citydweller. Yep, it's been a test for sure! I've pretty much memorized the water parameters now thanks, and there are all within range. I can totally understand why people say start with cherries.

I've been feeding them JBL shrimp pellets (good for protein I think, not sure about calcium) and the odd bit of cucumber/zucchini but did give them spinach yesterday. I had to boil it, each time I microwave I mess it up. After not feeding them for a couple of days they feasted on it.

I'll make sure to keep up on the spinach. I did get some other shrimp pellets (just to bump up the total cost of my shopping cart when I was ordering online, effectively making them free). They are Sera Shrimps Natural. Again, more protein based.

Yes they are beautiful, as you have seen on the other post, they are starting to swim free

Hi Diwu - My tank finished it's cycle a while ago now. Even though I broke the tank down and cleaned it out, I kept the 6/7 week old filter sponges/meda and kept the water too - looking at ammonia and nitrite etc it all looks good.

The worms turned (ouch) up the day I bought the last two shrimp, I bought some java moss for the shrimplets to hide in and even though I bathed it in potassium permanganate they still got though. Maybe it was just coincidence though? I know that they are natural and all that, but to see so many when I just want to look at shrimps is gross!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Yeah I know what you mean. I had literally THOUSANDS in the water. Like.. disgusting to look at. It went down over a course of maybe three days and now I only see one or two . They are good substrate cleaners, given you don't have them in the actual water haha.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Diwu, eughhh - I totally don't mind them if they are in the substrate, but when they start getting in the water column, gross! I haven't seen any for a while now. Happy!

It's about time for a photo update...

Here is how the tank is looking at the moment. I had to take out the riccia slate thing as it was getting full of algae. I've added some tubes and these are covered in Java moss. I also bought some Cholla wood. I boiled this for 20 mins and soaked overnight. They don't go crazy for it.

I also added a couple of Alder cones as I read that tannins add good stuff to the water, anti fungals etc. I have seen the shrimp sit and clean themselves on it.

I have also added a bag of Purigen to my filter. That stuff is pretty amazing. Dropped my nitrates over night.

Here are my tank readings:
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrates - 5ppm
Ph - 7.6
KH - 4
GH - 9
Temp - 74C
TDS - 203

I am pretty pleased with these parameters. I want to drop the PH to about 7.2 though. The TDS is usually about 180 so I am due for a water change at some point, but no big deal.

I am mixing my RO water with Tropic Marin Pro Discus to raise the GH and then add some BiCarb to up the KH and PH. I have nearly cracked the ratios now.

Ok, some photos

Here's one eating algae off the thermometer

Here are two messing about on the sponge filter

Eating spinach - like a boss!

The berried shrimp I bought, eyes are clear to see

For a couple of days I only saw one shrimplet, then I started to see more. Here are three eating algae off the glass

Shrimplet!

So cool!

Hello!

After a week they are starting to show more colour

A couple more hanging out in the substrate, still only a few mm long. I have counted 9 at once, I am sure there are lots more!

So I was taking a photo of this shrimplet...

And the adult in the background launches forward, either to protect the shrimp, or just get in shot!

I have already seen the molt of a shrimplet. I also saw one that looked wrong (weird swimming), I think it had a false fungus - but it might have just been a molt being buffeted around. I added the alder cones as insurance.

Fingers crossed they all make it

I have seen a couple of baby snails. I soak everything in PP for 20 mins, but they still got through. Ah well - I will take them out when I see them!

Umm, what else. Oh yeh, I saw one the adults molt the other day, that was cool to see

Thanks for looking!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
HokieFish
Algae Grower

It's really great that they are reproducing after what you initially went through. Congrats.
HokieFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
flowerfishs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (45/98%)

some lucky cherry with great home!
flowerfishs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

@hokiefish Thankyou I did buy this cherry berried a couple of weeks ago, but I am pleased she didn't drop them etc. I don't know the clutch size just yet but I saw 11 of them earlier, I figure there are lots more. She is saddled already so it might not be long before she is berried again.

@Flowerfishs Thankyou, I am trying to give them the best home - aquascaping can wait for another tank
Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #22
Borikuan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Love the pics and the journal. Seeing shrimplets in your tank makes you feel good don't it?
Borikuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Thanks alot Borikuan

Yep it totally does - they are growing faster than I thought and are getting braver in their grazing outings.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Time for another photo update...

Things are going well for the tank, maintenance is getting far easier and everyone seems to be doing really well.

I've counted 22 shrimplets at once, pretty chuffed with that number. All are growing well and getting braver by the day.

I've bought a new feeding bowl as the glass candle holder didn't really hold the shrimp pellets so well. Umm what else.. I have recharged the purigen and noticed some small yellow snails. My PP dip must not have been so effective so I will get some Alum and dip in that too in the future, thanks ravensgate for explaining that.

Anyway.. photos!

The female nomming on a garden pea

Shrimplet sat next to an adult

Getting bigger and more colourful

The one on the right intrigues me. It is a lot smaller than all the others. I know that the males are smaller but I did have one egg that was left on the molt. I wonder if this one developed later than the others? He or she is pretty cool though, I saw it front up to one of it's siblings the other day

Cholla wood wasn't a great success for a week or so, now they really like it.

The female. Last week she spent a whole day zooming around the tank. Like non stop. She was saddled. I think maybe she was checking out the tank to see if it was safe for her to berry again? I don't know. For a day or two after she was fanning her swimerettes alot (as she is doing in this photo) but she has stopped now. I'm pretty sure she is still saddled and may have molted since, so I have no idea what all that was about!

Here she is again, with a shrimplet on the glass.

Nice colouration forming. I have my fingers crossed that they are going to be really red.

Here are the shrimplets... lots!

And again

I think this was their second taste of spinach, they love it. They love all food right?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

No photos

Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Oh dear. I have them in the same photo bucket folder as the others, and it's set to public. Hmmmm. Can you see any in this thread or just that last post?

Can anyone else see the pics in the post from earlier today?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
windfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Pizza View Post
Oh dear. I have them in the same photo bucket folder as the others, and it's set to public. Hmmmm. Can you see any in this thread or just that last post?

Can anyone else see the pics in the post from earlier today?
I can see them
windfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Thanks for that. Congratulations on your berried cherry
Old 08-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Hm. weird, pictures are all showing up for me now ! They look cute as always

Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #30
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

They are. Lots of them are buzzing about loads in the water flow today. Funny.

I hope all your shrimp are doing well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.