CONTEST:. Healthy Home, Happy Fish .: WIN $100 in ACUREL Aquarium Care Products
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > ACUREL Aquarium and Pond Care

Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Bob.Hawe
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow

CONTEST:. Healthy Home, Happy Fish .: WIN $100 in ACUREL Aquarium Care Products

ACUREL is excited to launch its “Healthy Home, Happy Fish” Aquarium Contest

Win up to $100 in ACUREL aquarium care products by sharing about your own aquarium!

HOW TO ENTER:

Post up to 2 pictures of your aquarium and describe in less than 300 words:

The steps you took to build your ultimate aquarium
Your favorite features
Your best tip for fellow aquarists

All entries must be posted by APRIL 30th 11:59 PM EST.

Winners (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place) will be selected by ACUREL staff, and announced on this forum on May 1st.

PRIZES:

1st prize: $100 in Acurel products
2nd prize: $50 Acurel products
3rd prize: $25 Acurel products

Winners will be asked to supply a valid shipping address (no P.O. Boxes, and must be in the USA or Canada only), via private email at gethooked@acurel.com

ACUREL will send products appropriate for winner's aquarium. ACUREL will consider requests for specific products in each prize package, but reserves the right to ultimately determine each package contents based on product availability.

All participants grant the rights to any photos entered in contest to ACUREL for use in promotions on social media.

Please visit our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/acurelfishcare for additional contest opportunities in the near future!

HAPPY POSTING AND GOOD LUCK!
Bob.Hawe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

Talking Contest Submission

My 36 Gallon is my second tank and largest. It started out from scratch and bought a T5HO 2 x 39W light and a 2213 Eheim canister filter. I stocked it over time first with Giant Danios and Amano Shrimp. I have added Moustached Danio's, Jumbo Bronze Cory Cats, Gourami's, Bamboo Shrimp, Zebra Snails, Bristlenose Plecos and more Amano Shrimp. It is kept very clean with the Amano Shrimp, Cory Cats and Plecos. My favorite feature is the Jumbo Bronze Cory Cats they are clumsy. My best tip would be diligent maintenance with the right products and get the right inhabitants to keep your tank really clean.

Thank you for the contest

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Bubba Shrimp; 04-29-2013 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: edit
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Bob.Hawe
Sponsor

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you Bubba Shrimp for kicking off the contest with a fantastic submission! Great looking Cory Cat, I love those too.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Iv come a long way in my aquarium hobby in this short year and a half.. I started the hobby with a betta from petco and knew practically nothing about fish, let along planted tanks. I have spent hours and hours looking through the web and magazines to study the nature aquarium and how it works, from how to make the plants thrive to aquascaping. though im not perfect at it, I think im pretty darn good. Everything about scaping a new tank is fun and exciting. From picking out the hardscape from the lfs to bringing it into the tank to try and find the right look. The same piece of rock and wood can be placed in an infinite amount of ways to get a whole new look. Also the size of the tanks have a huge part to do with aquascaping, the pictures I chose to upload are of my 2.5 gallon and my 20extra long. ( it is the same dimension as the ada 150f)one thing that I almost always do while aquascaping is to use a lot of slopes to create more surface area for the plants to grow on. anyways,here is my tip for as you can see these tanks are very different and that is a challenge of its own, you need to learn to work with the tank to create something that is good looking. All these things are why I love this hobby. I am 15 and a half and im not rich by any means…. So finding money for all these cool setups are often a challenge. However with patients, I somehow always manage to find good deals on equipment, such as lights and co2 and substrate and filters. Anyways, this is my entry. Hope you like it! 

Last edited by Allentan97; 04-19-2013 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: edit
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

100 gallon all-glass aquarium, FX5 filter, 405 Filter, inline heater, inline CO2 reactor, Aquaticlife 6x54w light, 6500k/ Rosette Bulbs. Best advice is research research, and when you think you have it figured out ask, because there is a lot to know and learn, researching materials and finding the best price and not just throwing money away on gimmicks would be a close second thing to learn. Favorite feature is the Royal Pleco, and my clown loaches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	76989_489128127800631_479263683_n[1].jpg
Views:	91
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	128457 Empty tank, wood and water and zero knowledge about Planted tanks.

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	128465 After months of questions and research...might want a photography class thrown in.....
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Bob.Hawe
Sponsor

Talking Keep them coming!

Wow, we are so excited to see such great aquascapes and advice being posted. Keep them coming!

Don't forget to get out your camera this weekend and take a moment to enter your aquarium! Deadline is April 30th
Old 04-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is my main, and largest tank, 125 gallons, 6 feet long with all natural decorations, (except Rexie, the small blue t-rex who has babysat my fish since the beginning)

I started this tank July of last year and it has come a long way since then. I originally started with a 55 then moved up when good deal came along, so I had a few plants/fish and accessories built up to move over which made things much easier.

This tank has pressurized c02, 4 t5ho lights and just recently mgocpm soil capped with play sand.

My favorite part of this tank is the fish, I have built the whole tank around my congo tetras, currently only a school of seven but soon to be moved up to at least 20. My other main school is peppered corydora catfish, with all but 3 being bred by me. My next favorite feature of the tank is the plants, the plants were first introduced to make the fish more comfortable, and to be a more realistic home for them, but quickly became a favorite of my own as well, though never rivaling the fish for dominance.

My main tip for aquarist is always put your fish first, make them happy and they will always return the favor.

[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/Biteyourfingersoff/media/DSCF3685.jpg.html]
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Shangrila
Planted Member

My biggest tank 65 gallon. First tank after being out of the hobby for some years. Up and running flawlessly for 8 months. It's a low tech dirted tank with MGOPS capped with STS. Filtration is by one large Sun Sun canister with UV and one Aquaclear 110. Lighting is provided by 2 T5HO bulbs. Tank is home to Neons, Harlequins, Glo lights, RCS, and snails. Of course my favorite feature is the lush plant growth. My best advice for fellow aquarists experienced or novice is to research all you can about the kind of setup you want to do. Also low tech dirted tanks are an absolute pleasure IMHO. One more thing- Acurel F was used after the substrate was placed in the tank and the filters where cycling. It made a dramatic improvement in the water clarity.

P.S- Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0529[1].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	133314  

Name:	IMG_0530[1].jpg
Views:	39
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	133322  

Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #9
BarbH
Planted Member

Here is my 72 gallon bowfront, still very much within its infancy.

This is my largest planted tank that I have had so far, had a 50 gallon tank set up until I broke it down when I decided to try saltwater. Decided to back to freshwater and wanted a tank that was a planted jungle tank. I am running a 48" Finnex Fugeray on this tank. Stocking is just starting on this tank with some neon tetras, Robert's tetras and Peppered Cories. Over the next few months I will be adding to the number of Robert's Tetras and Peppered Cories. I will also be adding a nice school of Rummy Nose tetras, and the stars of this tank will be a group of angels.

At this moment my favorite feature of this tank is the led lighting, at least until the angels are able to be placed in this tank. With the leds I have noticed considerable growth with some of my plants even with out adding CO2. Also I love the idea of not having to replace bulbs every year. My tip to fellow hobbyist is to make sure to take time to research what you want to do. You will have more success and enjoyment in this hobby if you take your time and research what you want to do with your tank, getting the right equipment to start off with, choosing fish that will be compatible with each other and making sure that you can provide what is needed for the animals that you are keeping in your tanks.

BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Bob.Hawe
Sponsor

Default One more day to enter!

Thank you to all of our contest entries so far. This is going to be a tough choice! Remember there is only one more day to enter (entries must be received by April 30th 11:59 PM ET). We will be announcing the awards on May 1st.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

here's mine and a video that explains in more or less 300 words whats inside whats its made of, whats it gonna host !!!!!

izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
lagonium

Default An attempt at a planted tank

Here is my current "Best" aquarium, a 37G tall:

This is my Peppered Cory breeder tank, which also houses my Zebra Danios. My favorite feature of this tank is the Finnex Ray2 light. Once I decided to make fish my hobby, we bought the light and our plants have been going nuts. I know that I have little in the way of aquascaping here, but I've only been doing this a few months. This tank started as something to keep my wife company while I work and go to school (long hours). This tank is a Tetra SafeStart success story!

My main hint to other aquarists is a basic one: Do your regular maintenance as you should! My fish are healthy and happy because I do water changes weekly and clean my filter often.
lagonium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Shangrila
Planted Member

So who won?
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

who wins?

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #15
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

YEAH!! who wins???
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
acurel, contest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.