CONTEST thru Dec 20th:: Win up to $100 in ACUREL products
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > ACUREL Aquarium and Pond Care

Old 12-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Bob.Hawe
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow

CONTEST thru Dec 20th:: Win up to $100 in ACUREL products

Win up to $100 in ACUREL aquarium care products by sharing photos of your favorite fish!

HOW TO ENTER:
Post up to 3 pictures of your favorite fish species in your aquarium.
Please share:
Why you like the species
Any specific care tips for fellow aquarists interested in introducing this species in their own aquariums.
All entries must be posted by Friday, DECEMBER 20th 12:00PM EST.

Winners (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place) will be selected by ACUREL staff.

PRIZES:
1st prize: $100 in Acurel products
2nd prize: $50 Acurel products
3rd prize: $25 Acurel products

Winners will be asked to supply a valid shipping address (no P.O. Boxes) via private email at gethooked@acurel.com

ACUREL will send products appropriate for winners aquarium. ACUREL will consider requests for specific products in each prize package, but reserves the right to ultimately determine each package contents based on product availability.

All participants grant the rights to any photos entered in contest to ACUREL for use in promotions on social media.

Please visit our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/acurelfishcare for additional contest opportunities in the near future!
Bob.Hawe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Default c_gwinner's Otos

My favorite is the Oto. They are a ton of fun to watch and do some silly things in the aquarium in the way they perch themselves in peculiar places. Their coloration and patterning when they get adjusted to a tank and are in good health is really cool too.

The main thing I can say for these guys about care is, take your time acclimating them to your tank. Doing a slow drip acclimation is the only way I have really had a whole lot of success with introducing them. Keep on top of the water changes with them and give them some kind of food with a little protein maybe once a week and they are good as long as there is algae for them to graze in the tank as well. Once they are adjusted to your tank they are actually pretty hardy and lovely little fish.

Thanks for the opportunity for this contest

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Bob.Hawe
Sponsor

Default Thank you for the entry!

Love the Oto and great pictures! Thanks for the entry c_gwinner
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Minja
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Electric Blue Ram
Even the name sounds super cool. These guys are my favorite due to their coloring.
Just keep your water in pristine shape and these little guys will give you hours of viewing pleasure.

Nikon pimp #14
Minja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Bob.Hawe
Sponsor

A beauty! Thanks, Minja!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Though it's difficult to choose a favorite fish, I have decided to go with the bumble bee goby for this contest. The reason being it is very difficult for anyone not to love this fish. Even in my less then steller photos their cuteness and personality shine though, which is one of the reason I love them so much.

Bumblebee gobys or Brachygobius xanthozona as they are known scientifically, are a fun fish to have. Some people are afraid to purchase them because they are often confused with other gobies that look very much alike. But it is possible with a little study to find a good match for your tank.

The one tip I would give anyone wanting to become a bee keeper, is they are VERY hard to feed. Sometimes they can be trained onto pellet foods, but they much prefer live. That being said they do not go well in a community tank, as they will starve very easily. Coupled with their picky appetite, they are also very slow eaters, preferring to jump the food as it floats through the water column. With other faster eaters it is very easy for the bees to miss out.

This does not make them any less desirable though, being that they stay very small, just over an inch, a small group makes the perfect inhabitant for a bedroom aquarium! They do extremely well in a planted enviroment, add a couple oto cats and you have a great tank. No shrimp though, unless you plan to give the bees a snack

Last edited by rustbucket; 12-21-2013 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Default My Long Finned Albino Bristle-nose Plecos

I just had to have these guys when I set up my 125 gallon and they don't disappoint. Long graceful fins, always busy on the wood or glass, never bothers any other fish and nobody bothers them. They were to be a simple addition to the clean up crew, but became a favorite. Daughter named them Kanye and Kim, although they really are two boys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	247593
joeyNdana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Default My Long Finned Albino Bristle-nose Plecos

2nd picture. I seem to have forgotten how to post more than one pic at a time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	247617
Old 12-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

It's hard to pick, but I fell in love with these two.

I started my first planted with convicts. I loved the size and magnificent color of them but they were overly destructive with the plants. I rehomed the convicts and began my journey for a replacement fish that could match the enjoyment the convicts gave me. I found some Bolivian rams at my lfs. Beautiful fish, but even after 6 months they are overly shy. Nothing like the convicts. Content but not satisfied I set up a new 29g and began looking again. That is when I got a call from the owner of the lfs. He told me to swing by, he had something to show me. I walk In and he points to a tank with these guys. Here is my male Gold ram Nova.

Total show offs when the camera comes out. Not shy at all, they swim out of their cave each morning to say hi. I love watching them swim together, and heard the tetra around from time to time. I love the fact that they are juvies. I get to watch and record there growth and their color development. After months of searching and setting up another full blown planted, I have filled the spot the convicts once had. I couldn't be more elated.
Italionstallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

This is by far one of the greatest fish I have kept. Apistogramma viejita sp. 'Red Neck' is likely not a viejita at all but a version of macmasteri. Either way they are absolutely gorgeous and have fantastic personality. Their reds and yellows compliment a planted tank and brings a little extra mojo to the system.

Their care is fairly simple. Clean water (preferable neutral to acidic and softer rather than hard) and defined territories will let these pretty little cichlids show off their style. They are fairly easy to breed (I've gotten them to spawn multiple times in the half year I've had them). It's the first fish I've purposefully gotten to spawn.

Picture #1: Male

Picture #2: Pair1

Picture #3: Pair2
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Bob.Hawe
Sponsor

Default Fave Fish Species Contest Winners!

Thank you to those that posted pictures of your favorite fish! They are beautiful and we appreciate your participation.

Here are the contest winners:

1st Place: JoeyNDana
2nd Place: Italionstallion888
3rd Place: c gwinner

For those that have won, please email gethooked@acurel.com and let us know your mailing address (no P.O. boxes please).
Old 12-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

Just sent the email from redda92@gmail

Thank you for the contest, just made my crummy weather, slow moving friday even better!

Last edited by Italionstallion888; 12-20-2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: info
Old 12-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
joeyNdana
Algae Grower

Just sent. Appreciate you holding the contest!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Thanks for holding this. Grats to the winners.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

any updates on this?

Tags
contests

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.