Looking for Mangrove seed pods
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Looking for Mangrove seed pods

I understand there are restrictions on collecting Mangrove plants in Fl. However, I believe it is legal to collect seed pods? If this is correct and anyone would be interested and sending me some I'd appreciate it.

I'd like to try to grow these for a brackish tank,

Trade for fresh organic Mullbery leaves for shrimp, my 100% organic Root Caps, Plants- Staurogyne sp. 'Bihar' (rooted not trimming), Blyxa japonica

Or ca$h
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought a dozen from a guy last year on a different forum. The fish room was entirely SW at the time. His mother lives in Fla. and she shipped him a whole boatload of them. From what I understand, it's perfectly legal to collect floating pods. I sold off all but 5 or 6, and they all made the transition to FW instantly. What I have are all rooted and sprouted. My gut tells me that they wouldn't make the trip even if I sent you a couple priority, this time of year. I'll take a look at them when I get home. I may have one or two that've sprouted less than the others and may stand up better to the heat in transit for a couple of days.

Be prepared for an exercise in patience. Saying these guys don't grow fast is quite an understatement.

I just saw a thread yesterday where someone planted a bunch in a nano, but planted the entire base of the pod in the substrate. If you can come up with your own way of "suspending" the pod, they will grow a thick (they can form a driftwood scenario) root system that will reach down as far as it has to to hit paydirt. My first two were suspended over a 90G and now have 2 foot long roots. They're going in the 180G display next week.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

I like to see pic of your plants if you have some time to post them. Yes, I've read about starting seed pods and suspending them.

I'm rasing Buce....I know all about being patience.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
whickerda
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yep, we can collect all of the seed pods we want. After the downpour slows down I'll head down to the beach and see if there are any in the water where I live. I can't promise anything though, they're less common where I am in NE Florida. People down south or on the Gulf side can usually collect them by the trunkload.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

whickerda - Thanks for the offer!

BTW threse are just for my upcoming brackish tank. Any/All extras that sprout will be offered as a RAOK