freph's Mini M - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #46
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueenesq View Post
I agree with Kiran. I wish mine were lower too. Space is so limited; it just seems like a waste to use so much for foreground plant roots. It turns into this annoying 2" horizontal brown stripe across the bottom of your otherwise beautiful layout. I wonder if Amano factored in the constant battle with evaporation? That's 1/2" of viewing pleasure lost on any given day in my house.
1.5" honestly isn't that much...I don't see it as a distraction at all. Evaporation shouldn't be too horrible. If it gets out of hand I've got a glass top (which will likely be used the first few weeks anyway to prevent any jumpers). Push come to shove it's just topping it off with RO water.
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #47
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Tank is planted. I'll post a picture of it when it clears up but everything went alright....for the most part. I underestimated the power of the 2211 filter and ended up getting my substrate line annihilated and a valley on the opposite side of the outflow. It's turned down to about 50% now to keep that from happening and still blowing CO2 around just fine.

Side note: For nanos, or any tank that's honestly in the 20-40g range...one pot of any carpeting/background plant is fine. I've got extra pots of E. acicularis and glosso that I can't do anything with.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #48
mluk27
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

cant wait to see the pic! I ruined my substrate line too, but it was when I was planting the glosso and trying to replant all the ones that floated to the top. lol
mluk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #49
freph
Planted Tank Guru

It's that, and the penac in the substrate making the soil "fluffy" from the oxygen bubbles. It's definitely got more volume in the front. It's funny, because I can hit the board that the tank is on with my palm and bubbles come up from the soil. Here's how the tank looks right now. There's not much surface agitation right now because the filter is throttled down. I'll drain it down a bit tonight to get some more oxygenation going and then finish draining it when I get out of class. Pro Razor Mini is definitely a great buy. I'm in love with hoe functional it is. One of my pet peeves about manual scraping of the glass is it tends to upset the substrate a bit too much from hand movement...it's almost non existent with this lovely little tool. Comes with 2 razors so you won't have to buy for a while.

Plants all came in very well except the riccia. The description on the website was extremely misleading. What was supposed to be a tennis ball sized portion of riccia was about the size of a 3-high stack of single saltine crackers and absolutely infested with duckweed/wateremal (I couldn't distinguish) and the quality was pretty rough. Nothing like Frank's picture of his lovely fluffy green mass. I only had enough for 4 small stones (which, is fine) after separating the riccia out. Hopefully it'll grow in well. I've still got a pot of E. acicularis and glosso floating in my 20 right now....not sure what I'll do with them since the 20 and 10 are loaded down as well. 1 pot of glosso is enough to fully plant a 20L if you separate them right, maybe even a 40B.

Here's the tank. The manten shows these amazing purple hues once wet...it's really spectacular. The tank is a bit cloudy, but oh well. It'll be better tomorrow. Not rinsing NA Carbon = black water of death while priming the filter. Luckily I caught it all in a pitcher until it ran clean. Penac bubbles are awesome. So are the little lazer beam spotlights from the AQUASKY.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #50
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

I like it, but personally I would have used more than one stone. But it looks great!

What are your plans for stocking?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #51
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Same fish I just posted about in your journal. The stone thing was a result of wanting more plants vs stone accents. I think it'll look wonderful once it fills.

Stocking list:
Amanos and Otos @ 2 weeks
Bororas urophthalmoides @ 1 month
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #52
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Great start!

On your next water change, double up on your glosso from that other pot, trust me on that one!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #53
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Great start!

On your next water change, double up on your glosso from that other pot, trust me on that one!
Will do. I'll just plant them as single sections to cover more ground.

Edit: decided to just go ahead and do it. Added 19 more glosso plantlets in less planted areas. It definitely looks fuller. First trim for glosso should be in about a week or so I believe.

Last edited by freph; 07-13-2012 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: inf
freph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #54
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Day 2

50% water change, 4 drops of Green Bacter. Additional Glosso was planted last night. No brown stuff to trim at the moment, so that's good. The black bits on my diffuser are actually some carbon residue that got in there from a little mishap. It's not affecting the diffuser so I'm not worried about it right now. A little bleach will fix that come maintenance time. Water finally cleared up a bit!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #55
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Awesome going Freph!

When you get ready for needing glassware cleaning - get with me. I've got a Clean Bottle and Superge with your name on it. I'm not sure what is in Superge exactly, but it cleans + polishes the glassware within about 10-15 minutes of being used (so you can do it in the middle of your water changes).
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #56
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Is there any particular reason why your lily pipes are so low? I keep mine fairly high so that I get better surface movement.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #57
freph
Planted Tank Guru

The flow is cut 50% and there's still a very slight ripple. They create a nice ripple at full flow even being at that height. The only time I agitate the surface more is at night by lowering the water level a bit.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #58
catfishbi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (86/100%)

good job
catfishbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #59
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

This is great! Looking really good so far. Looking forward to following its progression.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #60
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Awesome going Freph!

When you get ready for needing glassware cleaning - get with me. I've got a Clean Bottle and Superge with your name on it. I'm not sure what is in Superge exactly, but it cleans + polishes the glassware within about 10-15 minutes of being used (so you can do it in the middle of your water changes).
Awesome. I'll definitely get up with you on that one. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishbi View Post
good job
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
This is great! Looking really good so far. Looking forward to following its progression.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it as well as your Mini M.

Last edited by freph; 07-14-2012 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: ad
freph is online now   Reply With Quote