freph's Mini M - Page 18
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #256
mltreat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The tank looks great! Is the ricca difficult to grow/keep from floating all over the tank? I have read of people using mesh, but I can't see if you used mesh or something else. How are you keeping it there?

The glassware looks awesome! I really like the scape too!
mltreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #257
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
We seem to be doing everything at the same time! Well good luck!
It happens. It just means we're both dedicated to working hard to make sure our tanks do their best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltreat View Post
The tank looks great! Is the ricca difficult to grow/keep from floating all over the tank? I have read of people using mesh, but I can't see if you used mesh or something else. How are you keeping it there?

The glassware looks awesome! I really like the scape too!
I tied it down to a large piece of slate with 4lb test monofilament fishing line. It's the same thickness as the Riccia Line sold by ADA and serves the same purpose. I just ran it around the rock one way, tied it and then made a cross pattern the other way and tied it again. It works quite well. My 20 on the other hand has issues with it. I blame my amanos and being lazy with cleaning up trimmings.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #258
mltreat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the inside scoop. I used some string to secure my java moss on my rocks, so I will try the fishing line when I pick up some ricca for my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	55874  

mltreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #259
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltreat View Post
Thanks for the inside scoop. I used some string to secure my java moss on my rocks, so I will try the fishing line when I pick up some ricca for my tank.
You can tie moss to porous rocks or wood with cotton thread and it'll attach itself. No need for fishing line unless it's a smooth rock.

Edit:
Also, probably going to start doing daily water changes in this tank until it gets into good shape. Maybe a month or so of that. Good oxygenation = good bacterial growth. Good algae prevention technique while plants are growing also. It's probably honestly the reason I have algae. Not a huge plant density + only doing twice weekly water changes on fresh amazonia is asking for trouble even with a cycled filter (flow reduced, though).

Last edited by freph; 10-25-2012 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: up
freph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #260
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Hang in there man, you'll get over the hump and be making badass layouts before you know it.
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #261
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Hang in there man, you'll get over the hump and be making badass layouts before you know it.
Hopefully. The bad thing is I know what I did wrong...not enough plant mass from the start. The TC stuff was nice but most of it just died off for some reason. I'm not really sure what went wrong there. That, and I can't turn up my outflow or it'll blow the substrate around! Very frustrating and I don't really have a solution to it. I look at your initial setup you based your journal around and just sit there in utter confusion thinking "well, he has all the plant mass there....but there are still gaps by the panes of glass that would be hit by full flow and be blown away....what's his secret?!?!?". It's just frustrating. Push come to shove I'll just let the hairgrass take over and make it a simple grass and rock tank, lol. Win/win either way I guess.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #262
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
...not enough plant mass from the start.
Same reason my 11.4g failed the first time around. I drained/reset/restarted and had a much better success second time around, but with much more plants.
Good luck!

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #263
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Same reason my 11.4g failed the first time around. I drained/reset/restarted and had a much better success second time around, but with much more plants.
Good luck!
The painful part is just knowing that I ruined it from the start. Bah. I'll be doing stupid amounts of daily work on this tank now until I'm pleased with it....at least on the algae scraping front. I turned up the outflow some today and just dealt with the substrate being moved. I can always move it back later.

First step: Move outflow and diffuser. Place some blank stones for flow disruption at soil level. Master plan now in effect.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #264
Hayden
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Sorry to hear its going so difficult! Are you officially ditching HC? That would be a shame.I hope it pulls through man, good luck.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #265
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sorry to hear its going so difficult! Are you officially ditching HC? That would be a shame.I hope it pulls through man, good luck.
If it doesn't grow into the quality and area I want it to then probably, but as of now I pulled the HC portions in the back parts of the tank so the grass can take over back there and do its thing. I did replant those portions in the front of the tank, though. I'll start selectively pulling E. parvula runners if they become a problem for the HC to grow in, but I doubt they will given how HC spreads. I want it to have a "wild" look to it. HC and grass intermingled is awesome. I won't be bothering with riccia in this installation. The pearling picked up tremendously as soon as I moved the outflow and diffuser, which is awesome because it's exactly what I want to target for growth right now. Outflow at back left and diffuser at back right....outflow hits the diffuser and starts the CO2 flow directly downward and along the right and front sides....exactly where I want the densest growth right now so I can turn the filter up ASAP. I've isolated the soil disruption to the back right corner (under the diffuser) which only has E. acicularis runners in it, so they're fine and it doesn't annihilate my HC plantings. Put my top back on the tank too. Not sure why, just felt like it. Evaporation has been a bit much lately now that the humidity has dropped and my ceiling fan is turned up.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #266
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

You might hate me for this Freph,

But I saw the new Super Jet ES-300 and the way they designed the lily pipe for it is absolutely spectacular - it maintains a higher flow rate than the eheim 2211, but then disperses the flow in a manner that doesn't disrupt the soil at all. I saw them using it on both a Mini S and a Mini M.

Keep tinkering with it man - I promise you'll get to the skill level you want to achieve with persistence. Remember that the way you feel while maintaining your aquariums will effect the results you get - so practice clearing your mind and be relaxed when you do tasks on the aquarium, your work will reflect it.
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #267
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
You might hate me for this Freph,

But I saw the new Super Jet ES-300 and the way they designed the lily pipe for it is absolutely spectacular - it maintains a higher flow rate than the eheim 2211, but then disperses the flow in a manner that doesn't disrupt the soil at all. I saw them using it on both a Mini S and a Mini M.

Keep tinkering with it man - I promise you'll get to the skill level you want to achieve with persistence. Remember that the way you feel while maintaining your aquariums will effect the results you get - so practice clearing your mind and be relaxed when you do tasks on the aquarium, your work will reflect it.
You know you're required to get me a lily pipe now, don't you?

Google-fu reveals that it's the Lily Pipe Spin. Got any documents on it?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #268
Hayden
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

How's this tank going freph? I haven't heard from you in quite awhile.
Hayden's ADA 60-f | Hayden's ADA 45-f | Canon Club #82 | ADA Club #05 | Teen Club #06
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #269
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
How's this tank going freph? I haven't heard from you in quite awhile.
It's going decently. I'll upload a picture if I have time when I get home today. It's post trim, mind you. Stupid tank gets full of detritus for whatever reason even though there's only like 7 things living in it.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #270
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Here ya go. Not much to look at and I need to clean the pipes. I'll get to it.