freph's Mini M - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #181
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
guess that makes sense, lol! but i wouldnt wanna do that! haha horticulture FTW!
I really enjoyed horticulture in high school. I can't say I'd like to pursue a career in it, though.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:56 AM   #182
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
I really enjoyed horticulture in high school. I can't say I'd like to pursue a career in it, though.
im in highschool, but i definitely want to major in hort. I really like it and im interested in it because of all my orchids
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #183
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
im in highschool, but i definitely want to major in hort. I really like it and im interested in it because of all my orchids
It's an interesting and broad field, that's for sure. Tons of different things you can specialize in.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #184
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It's an interesting and broad field, that's for sure. Tons of different things you can specialize in.
yeah! there are all kinds of different openings! my dream is to open a world class orchid nursery and be able to breed phalaenopsis and other genera. be like the next Krull-Smith Orchids!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #185
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
yeah! there are all kinds of different openings! my dream is to open a world class orchid nursery and be able to breed phalaenopsis and other genera. be like the next Krull-Smith Orchids!
Sounds like an excellent idea. Always go with what you're passionate about.

So, this may make some of you cringe, but I made a temporary ADA nano diffuser....Frankenstein-style. Yep. Basically, broke the stem off with a pair of pliers (the glass was wrapped in a sock, no safety worries) and put some tubing on it. Fairly simple rig. Behold! (Frank, please don't kill me for this)

H. tenellum 'micro' is doing well!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #186
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

lol the diffuser is like you cant tell anything happened! you should sell it to me for an exorbitantly low price
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #187
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
lol the diffuser is like you cant tell anything happened! you should sell it to me for an exorbitantly low price
Kiran is first in line if he wants it, I know he's been wanting one for ages and he commented about it first. If he doesn't want it, you can have it (for a small fee, of course).
Old 09-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #188
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

i wasnt aware he wanted one. if he doesnt want it (who am i kidding?) im your man :P
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #189
Bozhkov
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

freph, Judging by the pictures running the diffuser, you have a strong overdose of CO2. I told you at the beginning of your journey to be careful here. I am more than confident that because of this, you have a problem with an aquarium. I'm sorry that you did not take my words too seriously then. Maybe now listen ... Good luck.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #190
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozhkov View Post
freph, Judging by the pictures running the diffuser, you have a strong overdose of CO2. I told you at the beginning of your journey to be careful here. I am more than confident that because of this, you have a problem with an aquarium. I'm sorry that you did not take my words too seriously then. Maybe now listen ... Good luck.
I don't really see how there's an overdose of CO2. Everything is growing fine and algae is at a minimum. The diffuser is only running at 1.5-2bps (all ADA equipment) anyway.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #191
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent idea. Always go with what you're passionate about.

So, this may make some of you cringe, but I made a temporary ADA nano diffuser....Frankenstein-style. Yep. Basically, broke the stem off with a pair of pliers (the glass was wrapped in a sock, no safety worries) and put some tubing on it. Fairly simple rig. Behold! (Frank, please don't kill me for this)

H. tenellum 'micro' is doing well!

Sweet fix! Looks fine to me. That diffuser looks like it works well. The rhinox one I have isn't the best. Some of the bubbles are big. But it works for now...

Regarding the Co2 comment. All you have is shrimp in this tank, correct? And they are amanos which are pretty hardy. If I were you I'd crank it even more! Lol. I'm running mine at about 1bps. But it's because I have sakura shrimp and I'm trying to raise it slowly and get them used to the co2. If I could, I'd go as high as possible. You can never od on co2. And how can you tell from a picture the amount of co2 your running?? What? Lol!!
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #192
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Sweet fix! Looks fine to me. That diffuser looks like it works well. The rhinox one I have isn't the best. Some of the bubbles are big. But it works for now...

Regarding the Co2 comment. All you have is shrimp in this tank, correct? And they are amanos which are pretty hardy. If I were you I'd crank it even more! Lol. I'm running mine at about 1bps. But it's because I have sakura shrimp and I'm trying to raise it slowly and get them used to the co2. If I could, I'd go as high as possible. You can never od on co2. And how can you tell from a picture the amount of co2 your running?? What? Lol!!
Thanks! Yeah, my up aqua one puts out slightly larger bubbles....but this ADA one, oh man. About as good as you can get from just a glass/ceramic before going atomic style diffuser. I'm impressed.

Maybe it just looked like a lot of CO2 from the amount of small bubbles, but who knows. You technically "can" od on CO2 to the point that it kills the livestock, but there's no surface film and plants are producing plenty of oxygen (look at the riccia, lol) so I'm not too concerned. I've got otos and amanos in there but haven't had any deaths. Just random amanos jumping up and hitting the glass top for whatever reason. Other than that, they're fine and dandy. Fish will be in Thursday. Still waiting for glosso and grass to fill in so I can crank up the darn filter outflow. The 2211 puts out!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #193
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I was thinking atomic also but I don't like the black suction cups...lol. But as far as diffusion goes. I think it's the best you can get besides ADA.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #194
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Lol, love the diffuser! Name me a price!

Tank looks awesome. When're you getting fish?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #195
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
I was thinking atomic also but I don't like the black suction cups...lol. But as far as diffusion goes. I think it's the best you can get besides ADA.
Functionally speaking, atomics should be better because of the finer mist. ADA wins aesthetically for me, though. Plus they make micro bubbles fine on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Lol, love the diffuser! Name me a price!

Tank looks awesome. When're you getting fish?
Fish Thursday. PM me about the diffuser, we can work something out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.