Shrimp Substrate?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Shrimp Substrate?

I'm planning my first shrimp tank, and will be doing it dirted style with a cap. I'm wondering, what type of substrates do shrimps like? I'm going to assume sand, since its light, but I really hate sand :[

Any suggestions? A dark, preferrably black, substrate is what I'm after.
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
moosenart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

It depends on why shrimp you want. Petco sells black sand...

I ride motorcycles.
moosenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
jeremyTR
Suspended

PTrader: (4/100%)

Their sand is so expensive tho

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

~~~
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

What about Black Diamond/Black Beauty sandblasting media? I found another brand of it for $12 for a 50 pound bag. I think most people buy it from Tractor Supply. We don't have those here so I found mine at a local hardware store.
rocksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

It honestly depends on shrimp. If you are planning to keep hardy shrimps (neocaridina, malawa, babaulti) then you can use plain ol' sand. However, if you're planning on keeping pickier shrimp you might need active substrate and RO/DI water.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
It honestly depends on shrimp. If you are planning to keep hardy shrimps (neocaridina, malawa, babaulti) then you can use plain ol' sand. However, if you're planning on keeping pickier shrimp you might need active substrate and RO/DI water.
What are the options for active substrate? I currently plan on keeping RCS, but in the future may keep others. I like CRS but the temps they like would be hard to achieve in FL. My tanks usually run in the 80s with no heaters. I also have access to an RO/DI system, my mom is a salty and makes all her own water with it.

I REALLY dont want to use sand if I dont have to.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
jlieu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
What about Black Diamond/Black Beauty sandblasting media? I found another brand of it for $12 for a 50 pound bag. I think most people buy it from Tractor Supply. We don't have those here so I found mine at a local hardware store.
Stacy, I was considering the same thing for a tank or two but have seen mixed opinions on it (what else is new? Lol).

How have your experience been with it? Well, I still have #20 pool filter sand...it is just not 'black'.

But as OP asked, this is the next best "cheap" alternative for what you are looking for though.
jlieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

To be honest, if you're planning to keep more than Neos? Ditch the dirted tank and go with a single substrate.

There are dozens of active shrimp-specific substrates available on the market in the states. ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, UP Aqua, Azoo, Fluval, Cal Aqua, et al. Do a bit of research here on the forum to get a better idea of what's available in each specific price range. And before you do that, it may be an even better idea to base your substrate choice solely on the shrimp you plan to house in the future (after Neos).
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
To be honest, if you're planning to keep more than Neos? Ditch the dirted tank and go with a single substrate.

There are dozens of active shrimp-specific substrates available on the market in the states. ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, UP Aqua, Azoo, Fluval, Cal Aqua, et al. Do a bit of research here on the forum to get a better idea of what's available in each specific price range. And before you do that, it may be an even better idea to base your substrate choice solely on the shrimp you plan to house in the future (after Neos).
I've actually been doing just that. I was looking at Mr Aqua Aquarium Soil. It looks to be good for both plants and shrimp being small in size and full of nutrients. Also, 1 bag would be more than enough for my tank.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlieu View Post
Stacy, I was considering the same thing for a tank or two but have seen mixed opinions on it (what else is new? Lol).

How have your experience been with it? Well, I still have #20 pool filter sand...it is just not 'black'.

But as OP asked, this is the next best "cheap" alternative for what you are looking for though.
Can't really say yet. I put it in a 135g, but there's nothing in it. I did a fishless cycle, but I decided before stocking it or adding plants to pull it back out and add MTS. I have noticed a slight oily film like I've seen people mention as well as some "dust." I'd definitely recommend rinsing thoroughly.
rocksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Since Jake already listed the active substrates I won't repost them. I would measure the kg, gH, TDS, and ph of your tap and post it here. If you don't have test kits buy the API ones.

As for temperature. You'll need to keep the temperature under 82 majority of the time for pickier shrimp. You can hook up a small fan to cool your tank. But I'd measure the parameters before deciding if you need RO/Di water

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My tap has a KH of 2d, GH of 5d, PH of 7.5. I will probably just start with RCS,since they seem easiest for the beginner shrimper. Its hard to achieve lower temps in FL, my tanks run at 82-84 without any heating. With a giant fan, I keep my ACF's tank at the low 70s, though.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

80s is going to be too high for caridina cantonensis species like Crystal Red Shrimp and tiger shrimp.

Without cooling of some sort you are going to be limited to some of the more hardy shrimp (which mostly don't need active substrate anyways).
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
menoseloso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

up aqua shrimp sand (micro)
menoseloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #15
Bermyguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

yeah i am a bit confused as to which substrate to use also.
Bermyguy is offline   Reply With Quote