My Evolve 4 Red Rili and Dario Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

My Evolve 4 Red Rili and Dario Tank

About a month ago, I moved my 10 gallon shrimp tank and my 5 gallon dwarf puffer tank up from back home after being away from them for two years. I decided to do a total rehaul of the tanks with live plants. In the middle of the process I came across the Aqueon Evolve 4 at petsmart. Once I saw it, I just had to have it. So I embarked on creating a 4 gallon shrimp tank. Here is the process:

With just the stock LEDs.

Stock LED lights and 13w CFL over it.

The built in overflow and filter area is very spacious. The area where the OEM filter goes is decently sized but under that in the pump area there is a ton of area for bio-filter.

Don't mind the dying anubias. I was distracted and left it on top of my 10g for a little long. I am avoiding DIY CO2 because of the shrimp.

In the tank right now:
Dario Dario male and female pair
20 Red Rili Shrimp from NeoShrimp
Trimmings from my other tanks

Pros of the tank:
-Everything is hidden behind the false wall
-Small and light I can move it even when its full
-LED light is decent
-Big area for filtration behind the false wall

Cons
-Flow of the pump is too powerful even on the lowest setting (It would be great for a nano reef)
-Top is scratched easily

Sorry for the focus in the pictures. I was using a cable and didn't mess with manual focus. I'll post pictures of my other tanks later.

Last edited by dubels; 07-02-2012 at 09:50 PM..
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
rnaodm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice, I'm torn between the aqueon 4g and the petco 6.6g.

Hopefully Ill be buying one or the other on the 1st
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really like my Evolve. But that 6.6g is really well priced. I got the evolve because I was trying to justify the size. I am running out of room for tanks in my small place. If all goes well with my shrimp tanks I think I am going to get one last small glass 5 gallon and start a breeder tank for CRS with a HMF filter. What do you plan on doing with the 6.6g?

I have a small cheap pump from a water fountain I might try to replace the stock pump with. The flow is really too strong for such a small tank. I want to remove the sponge from in front of the output.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
rnaodm
Algae Grower

Im going to use dirt for the base, topped with some small natural brown gravel. Already picked up the miracle gro organic/gravel

Im not too versed on the types of plants available.

Maybe black lava rock, no driftwood
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Definitely go for the 6.6g, that thing seizes to impress me and has a wwaayy better footprint than the Evolve for shrimp.

Really like how the tank looks atm. and you can always just say overflow, I don't really think there is such thing as a "False Wall" cause then it wouldn't be a wall lol

Good Luck with the tank!
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Dave6265
Algae Grower

Make sure you put some screening in front of the inflow for the filter. I have neo yellows, and the juveniles would go right through the slits and disappear in the back.
Dave6265 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have some really dense foam in front of the intake right now to the overflow. I was planning on getting some filter floss. When I did my first water change I found 3 shrimp in the back of the overflow so I went out and got a denser sponge. If it gets really bad I think I might do a pantyhose around the sponge. If the pantyhose method slows the flow too much I might try and get a stainless steal mesh or find something else.

Right now I have the problem of the shy dario darios getting kicked out of the little caves I made under the driftwood. The shrimp love it under there and I just see the dario darios freak out from time to time being chased out by the shrimp. I might need to move them because even when I feed them bloodworms they get chased around.

I was using the term false wall because I was going to get a 5 gallon glass tank and create an all in one tank with a "false wall" made of acrylic, but I found this evolve on sale at petsmart. I went with the evolve because it fit perfectly on top of the metal filing cabinet without taking up space on my desk.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
TeteRouge
Algae Grower

I siliconed a piece of screen in front of the overflow/filter inflow on my Nuvo. Its hardly noticable and quite effective. Must remember to check it for debris tho, clogging would be a mess.
10g 3x divided Betta planted

Dana

LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Never knew shrimp could be so savage......
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

Shrimp are not that savage. The darios that I have are just extremely shy. Today when I feed it bloodworms I had to use the turkey baster to feed it directly because it kept on getting freaked out by the shrimp trying to eat the bloodworm. The darios are known for being picky eaters too. Maybe it will justify just one more nano tank...
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

New pictures. Looking forward for the shrimp to grow a bit.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I recently just picked up one of these today and have been wondering how you blocked off the overflow from shrimp getting in there?

I did notice that the flow is insane in such a small tank. Did you just wrap a little bit of foam around the output and hold it down with a rubber band?

Edit: Can you also show a pic of how you stuffed your filter so I get an idea of how to do mine??
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Last edited by shinycard255; 07-21-2012 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: :)
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

What a very nice setup. Nice work!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
I recently just picked up one of these today and have been wondering how you blocked off the overflow from shrimp getting in there?

I did notice that the flow is insane in such a small tank. Did you just wrap a little bit of foam around the output and hold it down with a rubber band?

Edit: Can you also show a pic of how you stuffed your filter so I get an idea of how to do mine??
I'll try and get a picture of that today. I just shoved some foam and filter floss in to that area. Made sure the sponge was thick enough to force the filter floss flush agaisnt the overflow and small hole below it. TBH the small hole is the worst. Didn't realize that was the problem until a few weeks in. My rili loved climbing in there and then back into the pump area.

Yeah I did just wrap some foam around the outlet. It directs some flow directly above it cause some agitation to the surface.

Last edited by dubels; 07-25-2012 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: adding to response
Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #15
simplechamp
Algae Grower

I removed the nozzle from my Evolve 2 and it helped mellow out the current quite a bit. Still would like it a little lower, was thinking of looking for a small valve to splice into the tubing coming out of the pump.
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.