ADA 120H + 60p - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #136
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (258/100%)

Simpler and easier to adjust water change levels by simply twisting the elbow to raise or lower the pre set height.

Also, this needs no clamps, just hand to drain and leave the sucker on for the refill, just change the other end for draining and refilling.

If the tap is a a KH of 1-4, I'd not mess with RO, there's no good reason to make things tougher.

Even if the tap is say 10 KH, you can simply cut with say 1/3 tap and 2/3rds' RO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #137
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
wow good eye, they are lileaopsis (micro swords, do not remember the real name). I am impressed with the filters, the quietest filter i have ever heard (or not heard) the motor gets warm to the touch, easy to prime, it might be a tough to open at first, but ones you figure it out its not complicated. all of their filters (9 of them) come with media and the glassware, next time i get i will use an ADA filter again, as far as Media, i am currently using NA carbon and BIO rio on the 120 and Bio Cubes and NA carbon on the 60, however with 2-3 months i will be using 100% bio rio on both of the units. How is your tank doing? i am waiting to see it planted
lol. Thanks. Well this is fascinating information. I certainly have heard many people say that they have a very strong pump and the water flow is impressive. My tank is crawling along, I just don't have time these days to deal with it, but I have some plants coming in this week, so a few improvements are on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
PH 8.6 TDS 170+, plus i just like to control everything, maybe i can do fine with just tap water, but i believe rodi water gives me more control, i do use equilibrium to bring the GH to 1 to 2.

By the way i am new to this planted aquarium thing, so i might be 100% wrong in my assumptions, so do not take my word as advice, there are far more knowledgeable folks on this forum that will be able to help
Wow. That is a ridiculous PH! I think that your decision to rodi water will give you complete control, though I generally would move to a 50/50% of tap and RODI. This extends the life of the RODI membrane while improving the overall quality of the tap water by bringing down all of its bad characteristics without loosing the minerals and traces found in tap that are necessary to planted aquaria. Just my $0.02 worth.
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #138
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

Simpler and easier to adjust water change levels by simply twisting the elbow to raise or lower the pre set height.

Also, this needs no clamps, just hand to drain and leave the sucker on for the refill, just change the other end for draining and refilling.

If the tap is a a KH of 1-4, I'd not mess with RO, there's no good reason to make things tougher.

Even if the tap is say 10 KH, you can simply cut with say 1/3 tap and 2/3rds' RO.
now that tool makes since, i will modify mine accordingly, thank you for the information. I will also start using 1/3 tap water. i am guessing by using tap water in the mix, i will no longer to use equilibrium.
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #139
gomesj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would test or call your city water supply company and ask them for a break down on the city tap water. They should be able to give you accurate readings of gh and kh and ph.
gomesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #140
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default i do live in Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomesj View Post
I would test or call your city water supply company and ask them for a break down on the city tap water. They should be able to give you accurate readings of gh and kh and ph.
i have done that, and what they give me is way off from what i am testing, as the matter of fact, i called multiple times with different addresses, one for my parents address the other one with mine, the numbers where the same for both addresses and my tests where way different on either address and different from what the city gave me.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #141
gomesj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

which test kit are using? Have you calibrated it to make sure its accurate.
gomesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #142
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just realized, i cant use tap water, Miami treats their water with chloramines, i guess i can just use my RODI system and just feed directly from my carbon filter
Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #143
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

for PH i use a Milwaukee and i do calibrate it, for everything else i use Sera
Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #144
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

I wouldn't use tap water - except for a few areas in the country - it's wildly inaccurate, especially right now with most of the country experiencing drought.

I've had a lot of heartbreak at the hands of the municipality with water during a drought - they're basically grabbing water where ever they can get it (which to be honest, their primary concern is -having- water, not having good water for planted tanks).

There's also other contaminates in the tap, such as fluoride, which have profound effects on Nature Aquarium, almost always negative. I don't even suggest drinking tap water.

While splitting your RO to tap ratio at 50/50 or 75/25 is certainly an improvement over just tap, if you have the means, always stick to RODI. Basically, we need to treat planted tanks like Reef tanks - except instead of salt, we reconstitute some mineral bases.

Following a pattern of (once on once a week water changes) doing 50% one week + equilibrium then the next week 50% straight tap, the results are incredible.

Growth patterning of plants is also effected by the use of RODI - such as Rotala Colorata, where in harder water or non RODI water, the stems grow much larger in diameter, but with the use of RODI the growth is extremely fine and tiny, the same is seen in HC and Riccia.

Nature Aquarium is complex enough without needing to add on the headaches of inconsistent tap water qualities with no control over what goes in or out. Short of living in Seattle, where there's a 67% chance of rain everyday and a fairly-well preserved environment, I wouldn't use tap ever. Not even as a small consideration.

However, if you absolutely cannot invest in an RODI system of some kind (or have a LFS to pick up RODI water from, or are unwilling to get distilled water from the local grocer), then my advice would be to plan to build that into your budget as soon as you can. Take whatever measures are necessary - it will pay you dividends, I promise.

Tap water is a last resort, not a go-to commodity. With many of my clients at this point I say that RODI is a necessity, not a luxury. I won't even use tap water in Houston (which averages 8.6-9.0 out of the tap) to do an emergency water change. Better to leave the tank without a water change.

Additionally, the use of Penac W in the substrate system actually does quite a lot to help reconstitute and fortify RODI water. By way of neutralizing acidity in aqua soil it helps to mineralize water, so when using Penac W / P in your substrate, you actually reduce the amount of re-mineralization you need to do by quite a bit. The product was actually originally used in Niigata to help fortify the water that they were using (though it's primary purpose isn't as a re-mineralizer) to enhance the environment for plants.

Sorry, I rambled.
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #145
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

I forgot to add,

The tap in NC is actually one of those places where it's a lot more forgiving. Since most of it filters through good mineral-rich clay rather than limestones or mineralizing-rock it gets to be pretty good. So 50/50 or 75/25 in NC is much, much better than the equivalent mix in a place like Houston or Miami.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #146
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

And if you absolutely must use tap to cut your RO, please take measurements each time you use it and test the heck out of it.

My water source in Louisville, KY is the Ohio River. Despite claims from the Louisville Water Company about what's in the water and what rough estimated measurements of hardness are, I've never once gotten a reading that's remotely close to anything suggested.

For example: Last week I was pulling water with 16GH and a TDS so high it was scary. 0 Nitrate. Today it's around 9GH and roughly 65PPM Nitrate.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #147
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
And if you absolutely must use tap to cut your RO, please take measurements each time you use it and test the heck out of it.

My water source in Louisville, KY is the Ohio River. Despite claims from the Louisville Water Company about what's in the water and what rough estimated measurements of hardness are, I've never once gotten a reading that's remotely close to anything suggested.

For example: Last week I was pulling water with 16GH and a TDS so high it was scary. 0 Nitrate. Today it's around 9GH and roughly 65PPM Nitrate.
Yeah, in Houston we have 1ppm Ammonia coming out of the tap on a fairly regular basis.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #148
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you everyone. the water here is terrible, i have measud PH values from 8.2 to above 9, its relative medium hardness at a TH of 76 ml/l. Tap water here is a moving target.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #149
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Guess I'm really lucky to live in NYC. We have great water. I probably wouldn't have a tank if I had to use a ro/di system.
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #150
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Yeah, in Houston we have 1ppm Ammonia coming out of the tap on a fairly regular basis.
Wow. Now that is ridiculous. Here in (Eastern) Washington State, our water is very good, just a little too hard. 0ppm Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate with a 7.5 PH and about 120ppm Hardness. Not sure about the TDS...
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote