8 gallon nano with tunnel - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
s thomas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well, the new apparatus for the overhead environment is in place. The black sand portions are dirted and capped. And peacock moss is now applied to lava rock for my first DSM.

After flooding I will have to sort out any sand that strays to the wrong area or dirt sediment, but here's to hoping the moss attaches, fills in and makes a nice home for shrimp!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340674047.783927.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	49818

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340674066.700078.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	49819

Does anyone know if the peacock moss will adhere to this unsightly acrylic corner? *fingers crossed*

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340674114.631516.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	49820

I'm really liking the contrast of sand colors and I think the two tiered plan is as good as I expected, and is accomplishing my goal of More surface area in a smaller tank with a natural, interesting look. Now to wait for dry start! (and overdue research on making it successful)
s thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #17
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Love the look, I don't know it the moss will attach but it might fill in the space to hide the corner.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #18
s thomas
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Love the look, I don't know it the moss will attach but it might fill in the space to hide the corner.
Thank you for saying

I thought after the fact maybe I could put some lava rock there and attach moss to it. We'll see how it goes.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (346/100%)

Wow! I am impressed with your creativity! Looks very beautiful and original.

I just wanted to point out a few key things that I overlooked when I first started.

1.) What are you planning to keep in this tank. Be as exact if possible. If you want to keep cherry shrimps, they live in almost any parameters. If you want to keep OEBT, CRS, etc. they are very very specific so make sure what you use, the type of moss, filtration, substrate, water quality, etc. plays a very important role.

2.) Think of now and the future. Make sure your design can be easily taken apart if needed. Otherwise, if it somehow goes bad (and I hope it doesn't in any way), it will just mean this tank will be in trouble.

As for the moss, most do better submerged than immersed. Best to keep them under water as much as possible and good lighting. Browning is ok, it won't die just yet. Better than having TOO much light and once algae blooms, much more problem for you there...

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

12G Mr. Aqua Journal - My 1st Iwagumi Rimless
17G Mr. Aqua Journal - My Shrimp Tank
RAOK Club #35 Sharing IS Caring
MsNemoShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s thomas View Post
Well, the new apparatus for the overhead environment is in place. The black sand portions are dirted and capped. And peacock moss is now applied to lava rock for my first DSM.

After flooding I will have to sort out any sand that strays to the wrong area or dirt sediment, but here's to hoping the moss attaches, fills in and makes a nice home for shrimp!
Attachment 49818

I'm really liking the contrast of sand colors and I think the two tiered plan is as good as I expected, and is accomplishing my goal of More surface area in a smaller tank with a natural, interesting look. Now to wait for dry start! (and overdue research on making it successful)
Looks great! Cant wait to see it fill in.
MlDukes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
s thomas
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
Wow! I am impressed with your creativity! Looks very beautiful and original.

I just wanted to point out a few key things that I overlooked when I first started.
Thank for stopping by, Neo! I always appreciate everybody's input so thank you for your kind words and constructive criticism.

Will update to address your advice!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
s thomas
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlDukes View Post
Looks great! Cant wait to see it fill in.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Lots of people use PVC with the substrate glued to it. I'm using acrylic sheets to build the parts from the drawings and bend them
I was thinking of stacking PVC pieces to form a v and putting light diffuser or cross stitch material, which I have, over them. Uncertain how to get the substrate to stick so that I can grow grass over it.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
I put the moss in and it doesn't seem to be doing all that great.
The fissedens is browning.
I'm also dosing 1/2 recommended flourish and excel-
They are both sensitive to excel. They are dieing. Brightwell aquatics FlorinAxis would be better. It helped a difficult plant I had. I just made the mistake of moving it.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #25
s thomas
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
They are both sensitive to excel. They are dieing. Brightwell aquatics FlorinAxis would be better. It helped a difficult plant I had. I just made the mistake of moving it.
Thanks for the input, I backed off most everything and am trying to just get it attached to the rocks starting it emersed. It perked right back to green once I got it out and had some indirect window light on it.

Ive never heard of that fert before, but the marketing material sounds legit for sure. Do you use it in any of your tanks?

Thanks for stopping in, I'd like to see what you build, especially of you're incorporating plants into it. (I'm having really good luck with super glue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.