Appropriate plants for cichlids?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Appropriate plants for cichlids?

I ended up with a really lovely group of cichlids and all their gear last night (Craigslist is kinda evil). I'm letting them settle in, then I'm going to pull their gravel substrate that came with the tank and replace it with Turface. There are several types, and I am completely cichlid ignorant, so I need to figure out what I've got, since I do know that some cichlids are herbivores and some are omnivores. Nonetheless, I really want to get some good plants going in there for them so they can have a nicer quality life. There are also a couple of plecos that accompanied them, and one darty little fish that looks like a colorful minnow to me. :-P I know a lot of people like just rockscaping for their cichlids, but I can't stand the way it looks. Does anyone have some tried-and-true plants they'd recommend having in with cichlids? Thanks!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
JP55g
BBA BFF

PTrader: (3/100%)

Really depends on the type of cichlid. Best to figure out what they are and go from there.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

Isn't that fish in your Avatar a cichlid? Glad to see another cichlid person with real plants! I am having a heck of a time finding them. I'm going to see if I can find an ID book or something -- sitting on the computer looking through countless pictures isn't helping much. :-/ Right now I've got some pennywort and Java ferns and a little bit of Subwassertang in there just to give it some green.

ETA: just read that they're rams... I wonder if some of the guys in mine are, too?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
JP55g
BBA BFF

PTrader: (3/100%)

You could post pictures and see if anyone here can identify them.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

There are many different kinds of cichlids. There are south/central American cichlids, dwarf cichlids, african cichlids and more. Most of the time cichlids can be destructive to plants. Good heavy duty plants will do better with them. I have also heard that java fern have a bad taste to them so they won't be eaten by herbaceous fish.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! I'm just starting to learn how many different varieties there are! I think I need to take pictures and post them on a cichlid board. I am going nuts sifting through photo after photo. Lots of similarities, but no true matches yet...
Old 06-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
LB79
Wannabe Guru

It's more like: the appropriate cichlids for plants.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Post em here also
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

LOL! So someone helped me ID them and NONE of them are cichlids! I'm such a bad fish mommy! But, on the bright side, they're all easy keepers. There are half a dozen black skirted tetras, two white skirted tetras, a giant danio, a dwarf gourami, a harlequin rasbora, a golden dojo loach and two sailfin plecos. From what I've read so far, the one that will be hardest on the plants is the loach, and he's special needs (he's got little stumps for his pectoral fins! I'm seriously hoping they grow back to some extent, at least). He eats well and gets around the tank pretty darn well for not having full fins. All of the others are super healthy and seem really happy. I'm thinking Java ferns and other things I can anchor. Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

no offense, but if you are confusing any of those for cichlids you need to do more research :P

as far as plants, I think even with the loach you can do more or less anything you'd want to (pending on substrate and lights and all that fun stuff) the loch would probably only make it a little harder, but not impossible
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

None taken! I pulled my most major no-no -- getting animals and THEN figuring out how to care for them. I worked in veterinary medicine over a decade and I can't tell you how many times I had to counsel someone on the new snake they "thought was pretty" or the chinchilla with skin issues because "dust baths seem kind of dirty".

It was one of those situations where the girl HAD to find a new place for the aquarium and I answered the ad not knowing the fish were in the aquarium. When I got there she told me they were cichlids, and not knowing a cichlid if it bit me in the arse (I can ID an angelfish and that's about it cichlid-wise), I smiled and loaded up the fish and tank and bought a cichlid e-book. :-/ The kicker is, I really think they thought they're cichlids, because they came with about ten jars of different cichlid foods.

Anyway, now that I know for sure what they are, I'm having a ball reading about each one and learning what their likes and dislikes are, who can and should and must eat what, etc. I put some cholla in there for the plecos and they STRIPPED the top layer off in about twenty minutes. I don't think they'd ever had wood before. I have other plecos, though, so I've got their number. ;-)

I'm really stoked that I can fully plant this tank without worrying that cichlids are going to destroy it. I adore the loach -- he's so goofy! I wish I'd known how cool they were before this!

On the upside, everyone seems to be doing really well. I'm going to add another HOB for extra filtration and see how things go!

Thank you all for your help... I have a lot of reading to do!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
LB79
Wannabe Guru

You could fit a lot of different types of cichlids in there without harming any of the fish or plants, but for now, I'd let the occupants settle and add to their numbers.

The tetras, rasbora, and danio are schoolers. The black and white skirt tetras are the same fish, so they're fine in their currant number. The rasbora and the danio both should be kept in groups of no less than 6, preferably 8 or 10. The loach would be happier in a group, but they are fine solitary. The gourami can get along well without others of its own kind. I would up the numbers of the rasbora and danio to at least 6, or give them away and focus on having a big school of skirt tetras (which, in numbers of 20-30, is totally awesome-looking)

The plecos... Sailfin plecos poop a lot and can rasp holes in plants. Really, the only good plecos for planted tanks are rubberlip, bristlenose, and pitbull. All three are great algae eaters to boot. I would give the sailfins to the LFS or someone who can house them properly (they get big: 18 inches is the norm).

Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
The plecos... Sailfin plecos poop a lot and can rasp holes in plants. Really, the only good plecos for planted tanks are rubberlip, bristlenose, and pitbull. All three are great algae eaters to boot. I would give the sailfins to the LFS or someone who can house them properly (they get big: 18 inches is the norm).
I'm going to have to disagree with those being the only good plecos for a planted tank. I have some sort of Hypostomus sp. and surprisingly the not so little guy is fine with plants.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
LB79
Wannabe Guru

I didn't mean the destroying part when I listed the 'only good plecos for planted tanks', I meant the fish's bioload. You don't want 2 foot-long plecos in a 55. The amount of poop plecos in general excrete... it's like 10 adult discus. A LOT......could crash the biofilter......ammonia spike......not good....

Personally I don't even think BN plecos should be kept in anything smaller than a 75 gallon. They really squeeze it out, especially if there's wood in there for them to eat. I switched to rubberlips long ago.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

I definitely don't want cichlids. They're beautiful, but I'd rather just build on the ones I already have, since I know they can cohabitate well. I've got a stock tank in the works for the plecos -- I already have one sailfin, so two more just makes for a nice little group in the big tank. The nice thing is, it can be outside in the Summer, then I can move it in and heat it in the colder months. I do feel bad for the little rasbora, so I'm going to see if I can get him some friends locally. Ideally, I'll have friends for everyone, including the loach and gourami, too. It's actually really neat -- I probably wouldn't have branched out this far if I hadn't ended up with these guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.