Noah's 40B Rainbow Garden - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #151
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimagoma View Post
love it! def stalking this thread, giving me ideas for a 60 gal

ahhh so nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Looking good Noah! I have to wonder what the local water is like after all that rain.
I have not noticed any difference in in the reaction to whatever water we ended up with lol. My local water is pulled from Standley lake.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #152
jahmic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Updates??!!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #153
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

As soon as I get a chance to upload pics I will get em up there lol
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #154
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Here we are, my long awaited update lol

The tank is now on "display" status, the scape is stable, except for my starogyn repens (spelling?) for some reason it just seems to be developing holes, melting leaves ect. My Ferts are not a problem, I am dosing enough to keep a high light 60g fed for weeks lol. I just do not know what is going on with it. I need to figure out what I am going to do with my next scape. This one is a year old, but there are some plants that I really want to display that I do not have the opportunity to do well with this scape. The Franz Stoffels sword is one, what a nice plant!!! It is now mid-tank, on the right side, and getting big. I had to move the stellatus to the back. Hopefully by mid feb. early march I will have my hands on a small tree stump to do the original scape I had planned. I have enough rock for it, just need the scape.

Bows are doing excellent. I have not done any breeding with them as of yet. It is in the planning (especially the nigrans) I have a wait until I can, I am expecting my son to be born next weekend, so a focus will be on him until we get the hang of being new parents again.

until then, the tank is on minimal maintenance.

Well, here are the pictures.

FTS's

Herbertaxelrodi

Lacustrus

Nigrans

Bosmani (through a algae covered glass)

Group shot (minus my scardy cats)

I was worried about how the Stellatus would do in the back of the tank, where my light does not reach that well. I have two shop lights on the corners that I re aimed to cover more of the middle, and as you can see, the stellatus responded VERY well.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #155
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

That's great about the kid. Enjoy!

Tank is looking great. Nice to see the sword adapted.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #156
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quick picture update lol. No kid yet, being stuborn. We figured he would snow to the world last night. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Anywho, here are a few pics. I finally found a good picture editing software where I can get more natural edits.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #157
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Update time!

Fish are doing great, and I still find eggs on plants as I do my weekly trimmings.

I also have 4 m. pygmaea on the way, they should be gracing my Q-tank by sat. mid day! I cannot wait.

The tanks scape is starting to look a bit long in the tooth for me. I REALLY want to display my franz stoffels sword in a more prominent way so I am getting ready for a rescape. I have had a hard time finding a tree stump to fit in the tank in the right scale so I am taking Tom Barr's advice and putting together a faux stump using driftwood and burls that he had. The wood shipment came in today and in usual fasion I received enough wood to do quite a few scapes with, along with some more specialized pieces to get the faux stump together.

Here are a couple options I setup. I will have lace rock and my black sand to fill in the gaps and make a good scape. I am probably going to cut back the amount of plants in the tank, and go for a more natural scape. Although I will leave areas of the tank to try new plants

when wet, the wood is very similar in color.

So here is option 1 (not my favorite)

Layout 2 (this one is my favorite so far)

So.. what doe everyone think? I am going to play around with it a bit more and see what I can do with it. I also have some smaller very twisty branchy stuff as well for a future scape.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #158
BeeJL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just read through your entire thread. It's very inspiring. How is the stand holding up?
BeeJL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #159
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJL View Post
I just read through your entire thread. It's very inspiring. How is the stand holding up?
Thanks!

The stand is holding up very well. no damage to it, and everything is stable. I figured it would be a good one since it was designed to be able to hold much more weight being a 50/65 gal. stand.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #160
BeeJL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Good deal! I think I'm going to order one.
BeeJL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #161
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I like the wood Noah. My thought is that it should be as high as possible. I am curious how you are keeping the sword plant. Are you trimming it regularly?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 AM   #162
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I like the wood Noah. My thought is that it should be as high as possible. I am curious how you are keeping the sword plant. Are you trimming it regularly?
I have an extra 50lb. bag of blasting sand for the rescape, I do not think getting some height out of it will be a problem.

It has been one of the least needy plant I have lol. I do trim leaves that insist on leaving the water and growing out between the glass pieces in my glass top. It is a bit cramped at the moment in the tank. It needs room to breath. I have a good idea of its placement in the rescape. It will be placed in the back right. The wood forms a little hook like thing that I will plant it in. Should be nice. I will put my smaller flame sword near by as well as the franz prinz little sword closer to the front near by.
I cannot wait, I think by the first week of April the wood should be water logged and less fungus laden (right now the wood is nto that pretty to look at lol

I got ahold of some more bows, this is the last addition to the tank with the only possibility being a couple of peacock gudeons. Every other bow is doing Great. I still frequently find little areas of eggs scattered in my trimmed plants, which tells me that the fish are happy too.

Ron over at Jurrasic Pets (of Catfish Charlies) ordered me some M.Pygmeya ( he had never seen them offered before)

They are one of the smallest rainbows, and have a sky blue color to the body. They get the high back like other Melanotaneia species, but look more like a Christmas light (the big kinds) in profile rather than a normal light bulb lol.

Here is a quick picture of them in the Q-tank. They are still very skittish and move fast so getting a good focused shot is very hard lol.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #163
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Trigger pulled. Re-scaped the tank yesterday and man the fish are loving the extra room.

The faux stump looks good in the tank, and I put 75% of the plants back in of course the best of the best stems trimmed, a few given away, and the bad ones trashed. I was able to get my frans stoffels in a good prominent spot and man it looks GREAT!!!

Can't wait to see how the tank fills in. I am going to be very studious In my tank maintenance and see if I can get some nice rounded stem mounds out of it.

Here are a few shots of the tank.

right corner of the tank

full tank shot.

Frans Stoffels sword!!!
the new leaf in the lower portion of the sword is how all the new growth looks. As it ages it turns more green. the color of the new leaf is just awe inspiring lol

Old 04-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #164
adive
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey Noah, I went through your journal. Its fabulous!! And thanks for introducing me to bows!! They're exactly the kind of fish I was looking for.
adive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #165
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adive View Post
Hey Noah, I went through your journal. Its fabulous!! And thanks for introducing me to bows!! They're exactly the kind of fish I was looking for.
Thanks! and you are quite welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.