10 gallon stack of rocks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
HelplesslyHuman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 gallon stack of rocks

I had a tank, filter, heater all sitting around doing nothing and decided to do something with it. My goal for this tank is to keep it low maintenance; slow growth, minimal algae, minimal water changes, low cost etc. I want something nice to look at besides a screen while I'm eating and that's about as far as my interest can take me right now. This is my first planted tank and I also have college and work so I'm trying to keep it simple. I don't wanna get in over my head.

Started off with some rocks. I found them in my backyard and broke them into chunks. I'm using anubias nana and nana petite that I was going to use in my betta tank (currently just driftwood) to fill the cracks.

It looked a little bare. Java fern is cheap and fits my needs so I bought a bunch of that. I'm hoping it'll get tall enough to reach the top of the water and provide a good hiding place for shrimp/ fish later on.

Currently there are no animals in the tank. I'm using a super crappy co2 unit to sort of kickstart it a little and I'm fairly certain I'd kill anything I put in there right now. It works great for plants and only cost me 10 bucks for the regulator since I already had mini co2 canisters, but I'll be getting rid of it once the plants start to show growth.
Stock will be: red cherry shrimp, probably ember tetra. I'd like some Norman's lampeye but I don't think I'll be able to find any and the other micro fish at my LFS (different microrasbora) are all 10 to 12 bucks EACH so no thanks lol.

I'd like to get a some more anubias, bigger varieties, for the sides. I have the one on the left but I want MOOORE. Haha. All the anubias on the rocks are too much the same size so bigger anubias would break it up a little as well as making it look more grown in. It's pretty sparse still.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. are all welcome! I'm mostly doing this to track progress because otherwise I'd delete all my old pictures but if anyone else actually cares then that's fun too. Thanks for looking

Last edited by HelplesslyHuman; 07-10-2014 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: flabbergaster.
HelplesslyHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
Lyfeoffishing
Planted Member

Doesn't look too shabby!!! But one thing are those rocks secured? Specially that brownish one on top middle it looks like it will fall giving the right movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'd be concerned about rocks tumbling to, either from inhabitants or more likely you during water changes/maintenance.. accidental bump and opps squished a fish, crushed a plant, broke the glass x.x
I'd recommend adhering the rocks together with super glue or bolting them together with stainless steel screws if you have a drill bit that can cut into that rock, just hide the holes by putting them on what will be the 'back side' or with plants.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #4
HelplesslyHuman
Algae Grower

They're not secured but it's pretty sturdy. I actually take the top two out for water changes so I can get the gravel vacuum behind there more easily. I'm still thinking about moving those two or using a different rock on the top because it looks clunky to me. But once I do, I may secure it before I add any animalia. Don't want any accidents.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
HelplesslyHuman
Algae Grower

I added embers! 6 of them for now, I wanted to make sure they would do well before I stocked more. I'm thinking another 5 or 6 in the next month. I've had them since Monday and they seem to be doing very well. Very active, making it hard to get a pic lol. They sometimes school very closely, sometimes spread out, sometimes chase each other around. Very happy with them.
Can anyone recommend a specific food brand to feed them? I've been giving them New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm pellets, which I had for my betta, but it's a little big for them. Everyone says "small sinking pellet" but a little specificity would make my life much easier...

Full tank shot. I really like the green algae on the rocks, makes it look more natural or like a jungle cliff face. None on the glass so far, fingers crossed. I recently took out co2 and reduced lighting a lot so who knows what effect that will have.

Where the tank sits. A little plain but I can't afford more posters or furniture lol.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:19 AM   #6
Lyfeoffishing
Planted Member

Looking good man!!! I like that algae too gives it that natural feel. Just curious what type of anubias are those they are tiny. Also might I suggest sticking to 6 embers and adding maybe some Otos instead.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #7
HelplesslyHuman
Algae Grower

Most of them are nana petite, which I got a super good deal on from seller on [Ebay Link Removed] 3 of them (idk which) came from those little plastic bags at petco and are supposed to be regular nana but they have been getting bushier and not much bigger so they might be petite too... I don't know for sure.

I'd love some otos but I was kinda worried they'd get hurt on the rocks? Some of the edges are fairly sharp and rough...
Old 07-19-2014, 04:44 AM   #8
Lyfeoffishing
Planted Member

Oh I'll defiantly have to get some anubias petite then looks nice. And yeah I didn't think of that too much lol. They might be okay idk though.