My 29 gallon redo... from jungle to clean scape (hopefully)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Talking

My 29 gallon redo... from jungle to clean scape (hopefully)

After starting my first planted tank two years ago, I decided I was going to break down my 29 gallon and start a 55 gallon. Well, the wife and finances got in the way, so I decided I would redo my 29. I am tired of the jungle look and want something cleaner. I am planning a manzanita and sieryu stone scape. I'm going to take my current onynx sand and use some of it as a base (HATE the color) and cap it with Flourite black sand. I sold my Aquatic life t5ho dual fixture and decided to go with the Ecoxotic E-60 fixture. I am going to do basic EI ferts and I have a paintball CO2 setup. I will be updating with my aquascape pics later in the day. For now, I leave you with the most recent pic of my current setup...Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140402_214252663.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	397010  

ScubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
After starting my first planted tank two years ago, I decided I was going to break down my 29 gallon and start a 55 gallon. Well, the wife and finances got in the way, so I decided I would redo my 29. I am tired of the jungle look and want something cleaner. I am planning a manzanita and sieryu stone scape. I'm going to take my current onynx sand and use some of it as a base (HATE the color) and cap it with Flourite black sand. I sold my Aquatic life t5ho dual fixture and decided to go with the Ecoxotic E-60 fixture. I am going to do basic EI ferts and I have a paintball CO2 setup. I will be updating with my aquascape pics later in the day. For now, I leave you with the most recent pic of my current setup...Lol.
OK... Here's an extremely early outline of my planned scape. I have another shipment of smaller stones coming in on Tuesday. Please let me know your thoughts and ideas. The manzanita is pretty set... But I have more, so i can cut and add if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20141130_173945462.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	397194  

Name:	IMG_20141130_173942198.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	397202  

Last edited by ScubaSteve; 11-30-2014 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

Also... Sorry for the horrible pictures. My cell camera isn't that great.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

I realize that the branches look stunted... I've adjusted that. Will post pictures soon.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Hmm, it's a little hard to picture, but given the symmetry of the substrate setup, I wonder if it'll look lopsided with all the branch-work on the left and just rocks on the right? Do you have a few smaller branches maybe to add on the right? Leave the bulk of the wood on the left, but then just a few to accent the right.

Otherwise, that's an excellent use of the white egg crate. Also, the old tank looks good! I totally understand rescaping things (I can barely be satisfied with a scape for 3 months let alone years, haha). I think the redo will look good though. Keeping many of the old plants for the new layout?
Wabi Kusa Attempts
You can never have too many tanks...just too little time.
ChemGuyEthan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

Thanks for the complement! I do have extra branches...but, I was going for the 2/3rd's, 1/3rd look...I laid the wood down flatter and it covers a little past the middle of the scape now. When I get the rest of my rock's in (not sure when that's going to be, seems the USPS lost the package), I will experiment with some wood on the other side.

Yeah, I've been wanting to change my scape for a while now, finally decided to go ahead and do it. As far as plants go, I gutted everything, darn crypt took over my whole tank the last two months and I didn't want to put that in the new scape. I have some fissidens for the branches, some anubias nana petite, s. repens, crypt parva and a few others on the way. I will put out a list of everything soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyEthan View Post
Hmm, it's a little hard to picture, but given the symmetry of the substrate setup, I wonder if it'll look lopsided with all the branch-work on the left and just rocks on the right? Do you have a few smaller branches maybe to add on the right? Leave the bulk of the wood on the left, but then just a few to accent the right.

Otherwise, that's an excellent use of the white egg crate. Also, the old tank looks good! I totally understand rescaping things (I can barely be satisfied with a scape for 3 months let alone years, haha). I think the redo will look good though. Keeping many of the old plants for the new layout?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
mesohorny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i've seen that grating used widely in the hobby; where can a fella get it?

Bump: and for what it's worth, I can see what you're going for; I dig it so far.
mesohorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
falcooo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesohorny View Post
Home Depot, lighting aisle
Old 12-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

I appreciate that...you can find it at Home Depot or Lowes...in the lighting section. It's called light diffuser.

Quote:

Bump: and for what it's worth, I can see what you're going for; I dig it so far.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

Update...Last night, I was up until 1am and was able to transfer my fish and my old driftwood to a new 15 gallon tank I've been meaning to set up for a while. Anyway, I was dumping some water from my 29 gallon outside and tripped and fell on my back and now I can barely stand up! My plants are coming today, so needless to say, I am freaking out a little. I don't think I will be able to get my 29 cleaned and scaped in time. How long can the plants stay outside of water and stay healthy?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
NotCousteau
Planted Member

Just throw them into a container of dechlorinated water and let them float. Keep them someplace they get sunlight or use your tank light. They'll be fine for a while.

Sorry to hear about your back!
NotCousteau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

BTW...here's the equipment, fauna and flora list I've been promising. Let me know your thoughts and if you think I need to add or take away anything. Thanks for looking!

Filtration:
1 Eheim Classic 2213 (also getting a wavemaker to help distribute the CO2 and get a little more flow)

Lighting:
1 Ecoxotic E-60 LED fixture (LOVE this light, but I think I will have to add a second fixture of some sort, since it's only 24" across...thinking a 30" Finnex Planted +, but, I am going to try just the E-60 for now and see how it does).

CO2:
24oz Paintball Canister
Aquatek Mini Regulator with Solenoid
Small doses of Excel (hope to keep algae to a minimum)

Substrate:
Old Onyx Sand capped with Flourite Black Sand

Ferts:
EI dosing the following:
KNO3 3x a week
KH2P04 3x a week
Flourish 2x a week
Flourish Iron and root tabs as needed

Flora:
Fissidens Moss
Anubias Nana Petite
S. Repens
Ludwiga S. Red
Crypt Parva
Pogostemon Helferi
Limnophila Hippuroides
Rotala Roundifolia
Camboba Pulcherrima

Fauna:
Current:
6 Neon Tetras
6 Rummy Nose Tetras
2 Yoyo Loaches
4 Ottos
4 Amanos
Would like to add:
2 German Rams
6 Pygmy Cories

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Just throw them into a container of dechlorinated water and let them float. Keep them someplace they get sunlight or use your tank light. They'll be fine for a while.

Sorry to hear about your back!
Perfect...thank you! Makes me feel a little better.

Yeah, you don't realize how much you use your back until you hurt it. Chiropractor, here I come!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
mesohorny
Algae Grower

have you used an Aquatek Mini Regulator before? I was eying one of those--seems great, especially since I have some old tanks hanging out from my paintball days--and was a little hesitant based on some of the amazon reviews.
mesohorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

Quote:
have you used an Aquatek Mini Regulator before? I was eying one of those--seems great, especially since I have some old tanks hanging out from my paintball days--and was a little hesitant based on some of the amazon reviews.

I haven't used it yet...but it seems like an extremely solid unit. Most of the reviews I've read seemed pretty positive. Also, my local LFS uses one on their 30 gallon and they love it. So, I am hoping that it works out.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #15
ScubaSteve
Algae Grower

Thought this was funny.... Kinda the way I feel...Lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	http%3A%2F%2F40.media.tumblr.com%2F77aa512d7223b686d768c9ffdd7bebd9%2Ftumblr_nfo0jzqEoo1rfc73zo1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	399274  

Last edited by ScubaSteve; 12-06-2014 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: ...

Tags
29 gallon, aquascape, manzanita branch, sieryu stone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.