Well Water
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well Water

We just had our Well drilled for our new house at 300 feet , now we wait for the water to be tested by next Tuesday.
Now my question is do they make a Ro/Di for well water? Or should I use just a house Sediment filter. Was thinking of getting a old 55g aquarium tank to hold the water a couple of day before doing my water changes that way I could add my ferts before it goes into my 110g tank .
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

well, you wont know how off or where your at til you get the TDS report. Alot of wells have super hard water. Ours did. and because were on farm land area the well changes its make up with time. Things will seep and drain ino it. Its normal. But personally id do a 50/50 mix of RO and well water and see where your at if the report comes back pretty hard.
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
Aquaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know the regs for your part of the world but in general all new wells are reguired to be isolated from ground water runoff. This is both to keep the well safe as well as to keep the underground water from being ruined so that other wells are safe from pollution. Older wells are often not required to come up to current specs.

You will have to wait for the lab tests on the water to find what you may need. The water from tow wells on the same block can vary a lot. Some require nothing, others are really bad.

For water storage, I found a heavy duty plastic barrel from a small brewer was great. For ten dollars I got a barrel that is clean, easy to cut and drill, and will last forever without any danger of rusting on the carpeting. Fits nice in the fishroom without taking a lot of floor space.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I don't think the test is going to give you much useful info unless they are more demanding up north, but a sediment filter would be a big help and will most likely need to be replaced every month if it's a whole house filter.

We have well water and a whole house water conditioner that is basically DI resin that gets cleaned via a brine solution, they used to get a bad rap because of water with a high salt content but those issue are now minute. After it's conditioned the water is very soft with no gH but a kH of 5 or so and I have no idea what the TDS might be.

I also use a six stage RO/DI unit from Bulk Reef Supply, I have only had it in use for 2 months and I changed the sediment filter yesterday but my TDS are still zero going into the DI resin and the same when the water exits the DI. I do like having the super clean water and it has gotten to be routine using the holding tank and it is also much faster.

I change my water by turning a couple valves, pressing a button to start the pump, plus I get the front flower beds watered, and it all happens within 30 minutes on a 50 gallon water change.

This photo was taken after just 3 x 50 gallon tanks of water had been produced by the unit, you can see the sediment filter all the way on the left is already brownish in color.

Just a week earlier it was lily white, but the copper feed had sat un-used for years so there could have been some sediment in the line.

150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

We will be about 1/8 mile from the main road and I have 2x brother-inlaws across our house . I was planing on having a by-pass from the well water to the whole house water conditioner or filter and have it set up for my tanks purpose . I like theses pic's very nice set-ups to give me some idea's . Thanks !
Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
I was planing on having a by-pass from the well water to the whole house water conditioner or filter and have it set up for my tanks purpose .
If I understand you intention you'll be taking untreated water directly from the well. I think this is probably a satisfactory plan, because any dissolved minerals would be beneficial.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Lets see what the test results are.
You can use all your aquarium tests, too. See how close the results are!

Anyway, you can run well water through RO or RO/DI systems.
Get the test results to see if you need to at all.
Then see if a pre-filter would be helpful. Some minerals are hard on the RO membrane, aging it faster. A pre-filter would remove those minerals so your RO membrane lasts longer. Talk to someone who specializes in RO systems about the test results.
I had a pre-filter on my water supply similar to 150EH is talking about. It removed so much stuff from the water that I did not have to actually use the RO filter for the aquariums. The water that came out of the pre-filter was great.

Yes, try to set up a way to get water out before any treatment, and in between each treatment, if you think a multi-filter treatment system is needed. You probably need untreated water for gardening, but might want more filtered water for drinking. Depends on what is in the water.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Will I finely got my test back from our new drilled well. It past but now need to find a company that sells house filter {or to find out what I would need for our house}. I like to have a by-pass for water to be use for my aquarium tanks.
What do you think about the test , should I use a RO set-up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water test house 2012.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	50343  

Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've had well water in 2 houses. Right now I am doing changes on 8 tanks. I just fill it up straight from the tap. But I also have no water conditioners of any kind. My last house had terrible water so I injected chlorine and just used a remover as I was filling. Never had an issue.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Last edited by GraphicGr8s; 07-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Correction
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

That water report looks pretty good to me and is the most comprehensive I've ever seen when dealing with a well, the water is a bit hard but the tank will buffer that down a bit and you can always keep species that like hard water.

I don't think a RO system is a must unless your going to have some salt water tanks or shrimp tanks but RO are always fun to play with and not expensive to run for what you get and you know exactly whats in your water. You can also place small (3 to 10 gallon) after the RO unit but before the DI unit and have clean drinking water at the kitchen sink.

If you do a smart system would be from Bulk Reef Supply
6 stage RO/DI $269
Booster Pump kit $139
A free 55 gallon barrel from your local power washing company
some cpvc, a little Rio 10HF pump, and a Ebo-Jager 300 watter heater with bulkhead $100

Then your first filter replacement is $5 after 6 months, the $20 in filters at a year, etc. but it's not too bad.

Last edited by 150EH; 07-06-2012 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: add
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I see nothing there for me to want to add equipment. It is safe for drinking and has little turbidity (mud) so I would go with it and then if there was a problem I could add filters or RO as I needed. Others like to add RO filters and then and rebuild the water. I tend to go with the easy/cheap way until I see a problem which reguires something added. I keep in mind that any equipment adds time, work and continued expense to maintain.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
SaltyNC
Planted Member

If you decide not to go RO, you might want to consider a sediment pre-filter for your house (not so much for aquarium use but for convenience for your home). We use a sediment pre-filter on our well, and it has saved us a lot of headaches. I flush it every couple of weeks. We have it in-line with a regular sediment filter.
Well -> Pressure Tank -> Pre-sediment Filter -> Sediment Filter -> House Water Supply

Basically, the pre-filter takes out the big stuff that would quickly clog up the finer sediment filter. Flushing it is accomplished simply by turning a valve for a second or so and collecting the sediment in a bucket. They sell a model at Lowes that has mixed reviews, but one by Rusco called a spin-down filter seems to be well-regarded (no pun intended). I actually have the model from Lowes and have had it for 7 years with no issues.
http://www.rusco.com/html/whybetter.html

Hope that helps.
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto Salty's suggestion:
Skip the more complex filtration but get the debris out.
You might find that as the well matures there is less debris, and keep on testing the water to see if there are any changes. Sometimes as ground water is removed more water from somewhere else moves in to fill that void and it will be different.

Do you have aquarium test kits? How did they compare to this professional report?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Ditto Salty's suggestion:
Skip the more complex filtration but get the debris out.
You might find that as the well matures there is less debris, and keep on testing the water to see if there are any changes. Sometimes as ground water is removed more water from somewhere else moves in to fill that void and it will be different.

Do you have aquarium test kits? How did they compare to this professional report?
I got test kits but our house will not be built until the end of Aug. But want to thank every ones in-put . I do want a pre sediment filter for the house and maybe one on the by-pass for the fish tank. I do like 150EH idea and just use 50/50 RO.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Will we been held back til Oct. 4th when the house will be set-up. The well will be set-up soon from the will to the house so I got to talk to the contractor about a pre-filter and sediment filter before it goes in.
Now does the water be ok if I let it set in a tank for a couple of days before doing a water change maybe with air pump , power head or maybe a hang in the back filter with charcoal and heater and treat with Prime .