Fish for an outdoors lotus bowl? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Oh, sorry I only was thinking NYMPHAEA LOTUS 'RED'. Maybe because this is mostly a Tank site. I have two in my barrel now. A red and a tiger. Both are new plants without bulbs yet.

I get my Posts from HomeDepot. The Orchid pots I buy are 9" wide x6" deep. traditional 9" pots are 8" deep. Usually the Orchid pots have a larger drain hole too.They are inexpensive and I think they work better in tanks.

BTW - my Barrel is 25gl
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Oh, sorry I only was thinking NYMPHAEA LOTUS 'RED'. Maybe because this is mostly a Tank site. I have two in my barrel now. A red and a tiger. Both are new plants without bulbs yet.

I get my Posts from HomeDepot. The Orchid pots I buy are 9" wide x6" deep. traditional 9" pots are 8" deep. Usually the Orchid pots have a larger drain hole too.They are inexpensive and I think they work better in tanks.

BTW - my Barrel is 25gl
A pot within a pot.
I'll have to give a look see at HomeDepot.

Not sure what variety of lotus I'm going for.
I think one of the Exquisite Teacup of The Bowl varieties will suit my needs best.

I just called my local nurseries and they both took my number and my name and said the buyer will be calling me on Friday.
There is an air of anticipation now. I hope he can find me one.

My goal is to have the pot pictured below with one of these in the center http://water-garden-blog.com/wp-cont...03/TeaCup1.png
Possibly with one of these below http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...eda/570efd.jpg

A few cascading marginals here and there. A king betta, and some dwarf water lettuce.
Seem like a good idea?

Thank you guys. Even though I said I would wait I think I'm set on a betta. I hadnt even thought of them before I asked.

Last edited by Eldachleich; 06-22-2012 at 06:58 AM..
Eldachleich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Paradise gourami? Ive had luck with a female in mine through out the warm months.

Male and a female maybe.
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

We've kept plecos, goldfish, white clouds, ghost shrimp, and guppies in a pond that gets 6hrs of mid afternoon sun here in Texas.
rocketdude1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've kept goldfish and guppies in a 250 gallon pond and it was in full Texas sun as well. It was covered in mosaic floaters though. My absolutely favorite floater! You could put a dwarf lily also for shade. My vote would be on guppies. They're eating machines and fancy guppies are pretty cheap nowadays. They'll look pretty mixed in with the plants. You can look into Japanese trapdoor snails also. That's what we had in our pond. Nerites didn't do too well in our heat.

-Val
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (439/100%)

Could also place a jug of water in the fridge for a bit before topping off. That also seems to do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
If only if only I had an AC.. But alas I do not.
However our tap does come out very cold as our pipes run deep into a hill by my house.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

What about those rasporyas or something, they can live in cold or warm water with or without a filter! and they are pretty!
Drowki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #23
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Eldachleich- The planter you picked is very nice! I think the Lotus you are concidering should look great.

I would suggest. covering the sirgace with water lettuce until the Lotus gets established. Bettas tend to jump without cover over the surface. I've keep my in open top tanks cover with water lettuce. All my beta jumps attempts have happened when I removed a large amt. of the water lettuce.

I'd think the Lotus will cover most of the surface when it matures. i think the simplisity of eventually have just the planter, Lotus and Betta will e outstanding.!
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallonplanted View Post
Paradise gourami? Ive had luck with a female in mine through out the warm months.

Male and a female maybe.
Hadn't thought of that either. I'll give them a google..
Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdude1234 View Post
We've kept plecos, goldfish, white clouds, ghost shrimp, and guppies in a pond that gets 6hrs of mid afternoon sun here in Texas.
I have all of those outside too aside from the guppies! I thought of guppies but I would feel bad keeping them in a container that might go so low on oxygen at times.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #26
AquaPipes
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Give platys a shot. I know they can overwinter in small ponds in Southern California. I tried guppies before, but they didn't make it through the winter.
AquaPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #27
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic View Post
I've kept goldfish and guppies in a 250 gallon pond and it was in full Texas sun as well. It was covered in mosaic floaters though. My absolutely favorite floater! You could put a dwarf lily also for shade. My vote would be on guppies. They're eating machines and fancy guppies are pretty cheap nowadays. They'll look pretty mixed in with the plants. You can look into Japanese trapdoor snails also. That's what we had in our pond. Nerites didn't do too well in our heat.

-Val
I don't think that goldfish will have nearly enough room to swim and grow in this container.
The LFS has some stunners now and again for $3. I'm tempted to set up a low care bulletproof guppy tank in the guest bedroom. Something about them still allures me.

A full clean up crew will go in. Nerites, some big old Mystery snails for the decay.
It doesnt get as hot here lol, so they handle out heat alot better.

A betta still is the winner though.
Its simple and beautiful. It can withstand the heat and still waters. It's an eating machine. And its easy to bring in for winter. and won't take much space.

I think my plant of choice is the Exquisite Teacup of the Bowl lotus. I want it to take over the container.
I'm not sure what variety to get though. Pink, white, blush? Double, single flowers?
As long as its a Teacup. They only get a foot or so high.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #28
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Could also place a jug of water in the fridge for a bit before topping off. That also seems to do the trick.
Thats what I do now. It's a good trick. And the fish actually seem to enjoy that inrush of cooler water alot.
I have to do this for my room else my tanks start to creep into the 90's.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #29
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowki View Post
What about those rasporyas or something, they can live in cold or warm water with or without a filter! and they are pretty!
I'm avoiding schooling fish due to lack of space... I'm trying to leave 5 gallons on top.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #30
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Eldachleich- The planter you picked is very nice! I think the Lotus you are concidering should look great.

I would suggest. covering the sirgace with water lettuce until the Lotus gets established. Bettas tend to jump without cover over the surface. I've keep my in open top tanks cover with water lettuce. All my beta jumps attempts have happened when I removed a large amt. of the water lettuce.

I'd think the Lotus will cover most of the surface when it matures. i think the simplisity of eventually have just the planter, Lotus and Betta will e outstanding.!
Thank you! They wanted $80 for it (which something like this would normally cost around $160 near me), but it had a slight chip on the edge of the rim. So we got it for $40. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I don't intend to put a betta in this thing until its all planted.

It all depends on my local nursery. Their buyer for the aquatic section is supposed to call me on friday. I'm going to see if they can get me a teacup lotus. If they can I'll combo it with some marginals And tons of floaters.
I'll be buying a package of dwarf water lettuce soon. I want everything to be mini lol..
If they can't get me one I'll be buying a dwarf lily online and planting that until spring when I can order a teacup lotus. Thinking Helvola.
Something about this container makes me thing it need creamy - white flowers. So I think a Helvola lily or BabyDoll lotus are what I'm shooting for.

I agree that floaters are key. They make them feel so comfortable that I put them in my betta tanks with lids.

Thats exactly what I hope to have. A mini lotus taking over the pot. With a few mini floaters. And a betta.

Right now I have a concern. There are lots of constant little beads of water forming on the side and the ground below is always a little wet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.