Give me the basics on YoYo loaches
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Give me the basics on YoYo loaches

Hey, my friend has a 30tall and I'm helping him redo his tank. He has mainly small tetras and assorted community fish, and then this big guy. He wants to add plants, idk if the yoyo will become an issue with that or not though. He also wants to do a sand bottom, which I know people like to do snails with that and yoyo loaches like to eat snails.

Are yoyo's plant safe and small fish safe? He blames it for the death of some of his smaller fish but I am not 100% sure considering. How would a yoyo do with things like glass cats? I personally advised him against it but I err on the side of caution. And do yoyo's need to be in groups, or is his loner fine by himself? Cause if they should be in groups I can imagine that the fish being a loner might make him nippier towards the smaller tetras and danios that my friend wants.

thanks for the input guys
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Soujirou
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

I once asked on the loaches.com forums whether it would be OK to keep a zebra loach in a 30 gallon and was severely chided that they have to be kept in groups and that a 30 gallon would be too small. I would imagine the same would be true for a yoyo loach. Even more so because they can grow to 6" and zebras grow to 4".
Soujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Can't comment on size, but as far as friendliness and plants go, they are great. Very peaceful, don't attach other tank mates. I have 2, they seem to do well, plenty of small tetras in my tank. They cleaned up my snail infestation pretty nicely.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
QuoVadis
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

For a 30g I would recommend botia striata, or botia kubotai. Both stay a bit smaller and are just a bit more peaceful than yoyos. But, that being said, I have never had a problem with yoyos being aggressive either. They do need to be kept in groups, I would say 3-4 is the absolute minimum, but they much prefer 5+. I would not add other bottom feeders, because I think loachs tend to outcompete them for food. If he just has one large yoyo, I would suggest adding maybe 4-5 more smaller loaches (Striata or Kubotai). They don't need others of their same species to school, just other botia loaches. The yoyo will be much happier, and I bet he'll leave the other fish alone more sine he will have company of his own kind.

Also, loaches are usually fine with plants, but they do better with rooted plants like crypts, vals, swords, or well rooted stem plants, and mosses or floating plants. They may pull up stuff if it doesn't have good roots, but it's not a huge problem.

Re: tanks size, 30g may not be ideal for a yoyo, but I don't think it is terrible, and I think it is perfectly fine for zebra loaches (botia striata). I kept 5 of them in a 20g for years. If you get the yoyo some smaller botias for company I'd say it would be fine, as long as he stays on top of the water quality.
QuoVadis is offline   Reply With Quote