ineedfire's budget 10g low tech. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
ineedfire
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Yes or you may have a dust storm in the tank for a few weeks. That is what I experienced with it.
I will filter some of it this weekend. Maybe lay it out to dry after the first couple of buckets and then re-filter it again. Nobody likes a cloudy tank.
ineedfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
ineedfire
Algae Grower

UWell a little bit of an update. Had some dw soaking under the house for the last week or so.. Left it in the yard for 20mins to dry out a little so I could play around with some more hardscape layouts. Turns out my daschund loves to chew on dw. But anyway. I tried a few layouts with it and it doesn't seem too lost.

Sorry for the extremely poor quality pictures. Only my front camera on my iPhone works :/

Layout 1:

Layout 2:

As you can see he has chewed the top and some of the roots at the back. Might be able to make it work as a 'stump' though.

And yes I know I need to remove bark and such. Will be a bastard to properly cure I think since there is a bit of crap between the roots (where they cross and such) I will be out hunting for more stone and dw this weekend anyway.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
Willamette
Planted Member

Oughta stick some anubias on that stump.
Willamette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
ineedfire
Algae Grower

I was thinking maybe java fern behind it. And behind a rock formation on the opposite corner. Anubias sort of surrounding and on the side and maybe top. Then java moss as ground cover.

Will see how it goes curing or if I find something I like more this weekend.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
hamsterman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Great job so far on your first tank!
That driftwood is pretty neat. I would stick some java fern on the top of the stump to get some height (narrow/needle would probably look the best). Putting anubias around it sounds like a great idea. Maybe tie some small anubias (petite would probably look the best, but it's a bit expensive) onto the 'roots' of that stump?
hamsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #21
ineedfire
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterman View Post
Great job so far on your first tank!
That driftwood is pretty neat. I would stick some java fern on the top of the stump to get some height (narrow/needle would probably look the best). Putting anubias around it sounds like a great idea. Maybe tie some small anubias (petite would probably look the best, but it's a bit expensive) onto the 'roots' of that stump?
Thanks bud. Will see what my LFS has soon enough and see how much I can buy at once. Still have a bit of prep to do before I start planting and flood it.

I tested my HOB filter that I siliconed up after leaving it for a few days to cure properly and it seems that there is a bit I have missed.. Leaks worse than before, lolol. I will have to re-seal and retest it again before setting it up in the living room haha. Am yet to replace the media in it also, will go with ceramic, sponge and filter wool I think..? Just have to find a way to layer them properly. Might make up some steel mesh grates and wedge them between each layer. I definitely want new media before I finally plant and cycle.

Was thinking of trying DSM but I am pretty impatient so hopefully my preparations will suffice. I may throw a thin layer of gravel from my turtle tank into the filter just to help start some of the bacteria. Would anyone object to this?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
Frontieruk
Algae Grower

I know you're looking at DIY co2 and spotted this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=180911 just some more ideas for you
Frontieruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
ineedfire
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontieruk View Post
I know you're looking at DIY co2 and spotted this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=180911 just some more ideas for you
God dammit now I am definitely going to try this.. The more I learn and look into DIY CO2 - the more I want to build one.. This was supposed to be a budget build!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #24
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Read -
Jello recipe lasts me about 3 months Rolo

Downfall of having the co2 go directly into your filter intake it decreases life time of your filter. For causes strain on the impeller blades and shaft housings. Plus there is the effect of co2 on plastic and the rubber bushings at the ends of the impeller shafts.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #25
ineedfire
Algae Grower

I'm kind of leaning more towards building a pressurized system. Was going to build one eventually. I might as well try one out sooner.

Thanks for the link though! Was an interesting read. Might try it on a spare tank in the future.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #26
ineedfire
Algae Grower

Just a smaaallll update to let you guys know what I'm up to:

Will be a busy weekend coming up. I'll be attempting to cut down my 3ft tank without disassembling it.
Should hopefully get around to getting filter media and making dividers for the HOB. Which means I can finally start to cycle the tank..
Will be hunting for a LOT of new features for my tank (plenty of rocks and dw).
And I'm getting Austar (pay-tv) hooked up as well haha. Should be a bit of progress and updates soon enough
Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #27
ineedfire
Algae Grower

Picked up some more stones today. Still need to wash and soak them.. I was impatient and wanted to try some layouts though. Would love some critique on them and maybe some plant placement suggestions.

1:

2:

3:

I'm thinking since I have a HOB filter with the long intake tube, I could use the large stone to hide it..

Have 6 new pieces in total. Will play with them some more after they're all cleaned up. I'm stepping away from driftwood for a while since its so damn high maintenance with the tannins and all.

Edit - added 3rd layout.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
Frontieruk
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedfire View Post
Picked up some more stones today. Still need to wash and soak them.. I was impatient and wanted to try some layouts though. Would love some critique on them and maybe some plant placement suggestions.

1:

2:

3:

I'm thinking since I have a HOB filter with the long intake tube, I could use the large stone to hide it..

Have 6 new pieces in total. Will play with them some more after they're all cleaned up. I'm stepping away from driftwood for a while since its so damn high maintenance with the tannins and all.

Edit - added 3rd layout.
I like the flow of the first layout, looks the most natural and also fits the 2/3 rule quite well IMO
Frontieruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
ineedfire
Algae Grower

Thanks frontieruk, nice to see your still following this

I have another layout for you. I'm liking the mountain scape idea otherwise it'll have to be more like the first layout with a large open area for a carpet or something. I just want to start planting this tank already!!

And some close ups. Ignore the dirt.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341132342.963559.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	50067

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341132461.578973.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	50068
Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #30
ineedfire
Algae Grower

Well I've made some progress. Not so much on my planted tank but I set up a 3 foot tank in my room haha. Ignore the rocks it's just weighing down the dw till its properly waterlogge

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341479391.167226.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	50284
As you can see the house we're renting is on a bit of a lean haha. I love this piece of driftwood though. I think I will set this up as another low tech tank once I get the hang of my 10g.

But anyway, I do have a question I hope someone can answer for me:
In the following pic you can see that my large rock is basically isolating my back corner where the intake tube for the HOB is located. Would this be bad for flow or would it be good to suck up the 'stagnant' water. The HOB is around 500l/h I think so it's way too big for this tank. It will be probably less than half the full flow setting.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341479656.232571.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	50285