Canister filter for 75 gallon? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #16
JoraaΡ
Tνrλd Δίσϋt ╦σ RΙ├νrλ

PTrader: (351/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist14 View Post
I like the idea of having two canisters but honestly, I can't afford it.

What is the best choice with running just one?
Here

Now go for higher flow rate..In my 75 gal I use Magnum 350 Pro. works perfectly fine..Been using for almost 8 yrs now...Now If I have to buy new to replace it I will follow above chart and get 1 that gives the same flow rate or even higher better and consumes lower watts....
JoraaΡ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have a Rena XP1, XP2, and XP3. They all have problems with micro bubbles after cleaning the canister. It takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to try to get them to pump water without bubbles. There are actually videos on youtube showing tricks you have to do to try to get them to start without pumping out micro bubbles. I'll never buy one again. Stick with another brand.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #18
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thanks for the heads up trapper.

Anybody have experience with the Fluval 406's?
AlecFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #19
VeeSe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe

Eheim 2217 and Fluval 406 are probably a bit too small for a 75G, but you could probably get by with one of those.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #20
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

So that puts Fluval and Ehiem out. It leaves me to the Cascade and Aquatop.

Between the two which has the advantage, they're both very similar but which one will best suit me in efficiency, noise and flow?

Forgot to mention I will be running pressurized CO2 in the tank.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #21
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

80% of all the canister filter in the marker are design the same.
if you look at the sunsun and cascade you can see there just the same with the outside of the canister look what so ever.
the other 20% are fx5, odyssea cfs500, fluval, API, fluval g4, and other brand name.
its all about the design inside the canister filter and how each one work.

so which canister is better? i say the fx5 and the odyssea cfs500, why? cause the build inside is build to clean and keep a tank crystal clear. i dont own a cfs500 but seeing pic of the inside of the canister i can tell it was build to clean. I just order one so hope i get it soon.

if i have to pick from a sunsun, cascade, fluval, api, ehiem ill pick a sunsun in a heart beat.
with the price you cant go wrong with the filter if you do one thing and only one thing. HANDLE WITH CARE
the sunsun filter just as good as any of the name i list.

if you want something better and on the low of money i go with the cfs500, if you got money to spend i go with the fx5 or a diy sump. these 3 type of filter i would use in a heart beat.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #22
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

What size is your tank in.a.box?
And please give me a review once you get the CF500 I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on them due to the build quality and such.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #23
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

i have a sunsun on a 40B, keep my tank clear even with IAL in there the water is crystal clear. im going to replace the sunsun with the CFS500 and throw the sunsun on my 20L.
if these CFS500 work like how i picture it to work im going to replace all my AC110 with Cfs500.

im not worry about the cheap plastics on these china brand filter. i handle all my stuff with care. as long you dont man handle it, it wont break.
as for the lid if it still cheap i can find a plastics company and tell them to build me some new lid with better higher plastics.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #24
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist14 View Post
So that puts Fluval and Ehiem out. It leaves me to the Cascade and Aquatop.

Between the two which has the advantage, they're both very similar but which one will best suit me in efficiency, noise and flow?

Forgot to mention I will be running pressurized CO2 in the tank.
if it come down to these 2 brand ill pick the sunsun/aquatop.
like you say both filter are similar just the outside of the filter isnt.
the Marineland C Series is build the same as well, i think the sunsun/aquatop is a 3rd party filter of the Marineland C Series
Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #25
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I use 2 eheim 2217's
I'm happy with it
though when my tank was fish only I was doing it heavily stocked with big cichlids and large water changes with only one eheim 2217
it's definitely doable
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #26
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperwolves View Post
I have a Rena XP1, XP2, and XP3. They all have problems with micro bubbles after cleaning the canister. It takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to try to get them to pump water without bubbles. There are actually videos on youtube showing tricks you have to do to try to get them to start without pumping out micro bubbles. I'll never buy one again. Stick with another brand.
Wow, I've never heard of that. I love Rena XP filters. I have 8 of them, and they are all running great. Excellent flow. Primes very easily. No problems breaking down or breaking parts. I finally retired my Eheim Pro 2 because too many parts kept breaking. The darn impeller rod was plastic! Rena XP impeller rods are steel.

Well, I was going to put my 2’ in and recommend Rena. And I still do. I've had several running for 5 years now without any problems. They're very quiet. I like that I can see through the canister to see how dirty it is so I can see if I need to clean it (I clean mine once every 3-6 months). The flow is excellent no matter how clogged they get (I use polishing floss that gets very clogged).

I have two XP4s on my 75g, but I like lots of flow in my tanks. A XP3 would work just fine. I like the larger filters so I can add extra biomedia in them. I also have two XP4s on my 90g.

Best place to buy the Rena filters is PetSolutions. XP3s are $129.99 and the XP4s are $169.99. Free shipping for either one. http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...r-Filters.aspx

Oh, and one last thing. You do NOT have to handle with care. Renas are built solid.
Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #27
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

I found the youtube video where the guy complains about having air in his Rena canister. What the guy does not understand is that it is normal to have air in that part of the canister. That does not produce air bubbles in the tank. Apparently, the guy doesn't know how the canister works and thinks it's supposed to be completely full of water. So he's taking things apart and replacing stuff that's not normally done.

Even with all he's done to the canister, it's still working. He says the bubbles stop after it's been running for awhile. I think he's seeing the air bleed out of the outflow line and thinks that's somehow connected to the air inside the canister.
Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Over the years I've found many of the complaints about various canisters are due to the user. If one cannot put his finger on the cause and present some evidence that he knows what he is talking about, I find reviews often worthless. One has to read and follow directions to make the best of equipment!

That said, I will still voice my complaints on the Cascade 1000. I have had it running on a 55 alongside several 75's with 2217's. I keep a logbook to keep track of cleaning so that I can refer back to see what's happened. My book shows that the Cascade flow drops off way quicker than the 2217. I find lots of bypass junk like small leaves going through the Cascade. I will not buy cheap again soon. Too cheap is not a bargain if I have too work harder to keep it running well.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
Gplus
Algae Grower

I love rena xp series filters. I find my rena xp2 ( 3 years old running 24/7) will hold flow rate well and its a breeze to clean. I run an xp2 and an eheim 2234 on my 55 gallon. I don't like having to remove the hoses to clean the eheim. The rena quick disconnect is awesome! I will say though that I believe eheims filter much better because once I added the eheim to the mix my water got so much cleaner it was crazy (not that it wasn't clean to begin with). I got the eheim for 8 dollard at a fle market so I cant complain one bit! I cant stand Fluvals. Hagen still makes good stuff but fluval filters aint one of them. Also btw the eheims are freakin silent to be honest. I thought I never herd my xp2 untill I set up the eheim! Haha you could then tell the difference, but you'd have to have Inspector gadget ears to hear the rena since its under my stand.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Gplus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperwolves View Post

The trick is to overfill them with water before you out the lid on. Snap the lid down after cleaning with it filled to the top. That'll make water squirt out the intake and output holes and self primes the filter for ya. Did you ever check you lid seal? Sometimes they get filled with dry crusty stuff or they twist causing the cover to not seal all the way. I have honestly never herd of anyone having an issue with 3 of them. I even run a rex grigg reactor on the intake of my xp2 <_> yes I know haha. It never fills with air or has any micro bubble problems!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.