Unboxing Petco 6.6 Bookshelf Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
mannye
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Unboxing Petco 6.6 Bookshelf Tank

The bookshelf tank arrived this week and I thought it would be fun to show a few pics of the unboxing. I think that for 40 bucks it's a pretty complete little kit. I will tell you that for the painting I'm going to get a bunch of cloth gloves to use in handling it.

It arrives double boxed buy annoyingly without any packing material:

http://tinypic.com/r/29blmd3/6

But it seems undamaged.

http://tinypic.com/r/2j5h1qp/6

Inside we find yet another box...good news!

http://tinypic.com/r/2s79jyg/6

And here is the tank. The plastic it's made of scratches if you look at the thing sideways so be very careful when you handle it. Inside are boxes holding the light fixture and the filter, which are also annoyingly free of any packing material, but there were no visible scratches from the boxes moving around.

http://tinypic.com/r/144j0l/6

Next, you pop the top rim off (a plus for you rimless fans...both top and bottom rims just pop right off) and remove the boxes for the filter and light fixture.

http://tinypic.com/r/zvpymg/6

Here are pictures of the filter and light unboxed. The tank comes with a plastic shield seen in the first pic that should increase the lifespan of the light fixture.

http://tinypic.com/r/16jjfl/6

http://tinypic.com/r/whia9t/6

That's it! Next I will be painting the back of the tank black. I will post that in another thread. Sorry about the links... the pics were annoyingly large when I linked them straight into the post.
mannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

To get more interest in the thread, you may want to imbed the images.

Definitely a cool little tank. Nice that the bulb runs the entire length of the unit, as well.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
mannye
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
To get more interest in the thread, you may want to imbed the images.

Definitely a cool little tank. Nice that the bulb runs the entire length of the unit, as well.
I tried that and the stupid things were huge... I find it extremely annoying when I have to scroll side to side to view pics like that. I'll try shrinking them down before I save them next time...but I kinda suck at that...
Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Kelli
Algae Grower

I've had my eye on this tank for a little bit, I can't wait to see the progression of yours.
I like the textured background you posted in your other thread. Very cool to know the rims pop off.

~Kelli
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Y not buy from store? I think its 30 buck.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

This is one of my favorite tanks ever. The dimensions make it look like a mini 55 gallon.
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
mannye
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
Y not buy from store? I think its 30 buck.
My store did not have them in stock. Even if they did, with my work hours it's faster to order sometimes!

They also don't have good substrate (I want black moonsand) so I might have to order that too. Look forward to more threads as I progress. My inspiration is the Iwagumi style tanks I've seen online. I'm hoping moss can duplicate that lush green carpet look in such a small tank. I figure that the betta will look totally Zen in that environment!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
NeedMoreTanks!
Algae Grower

Thanks for posting this, been wanting that tank for a betta for looong time, have decided to order if not at store next time I am there. Thinking of mantel of fireplace with a padparasha colour betta if I can find one. Very interested in light and how/what it grows.

I understand wanting the black moon sand - the one I want is tahita moon i think? BUT if it is an acrilyc that scratches just by looking sideways at sand can be a nightmare, one of the things I wanted to see and touch in store so glad you mentioned it as sand may SCRATCH horribly after cleaning, vac moving things, and scraping algae etc. My second choice is Fluval stratum as that will not scratch, like it, not too bad about clouding if you are careful esp in first few months, good enough black. I put black epoxy gravel on top after planted to help keep settled and I like the look.
Easy to scratch acrylic is a pain when it comes to algae removal too so plan the aq to keep algae to min. There are tanks I encourage algae growth on sides or in terraces but not with plastic or acrylic if I ever want it clear.
Also would not put craws in they will scratch it up.
looking forward to your experiences thanks!
NeedMoreTanks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
mannye
Algae Grower

Tahitian Moon Sand... that's the one! I hadn't thought of the substrate being a scratching problem, but now that you mention it, I bet those tiny little pieces of quartz would have a field day with the plastic tank. Looks like I have to find another substrate... maybe fine gravel over peat moss or sphagnum?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Myrr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have this tank and love it! My one gripe is that the sides have much less lighting than the rest of the tank, since the ballasts limit the space in the hood Booo!

I got mine on sale and then on another sale... And paid under $40! It was a great deal. I have bettas so the filter is a godsend.

Cant wait to see pics of the set up if you have them.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

Since you want carpeting plants, why not consider a nutrient-rich substrate like ADA Aquasoil, Azoo Plant Grower Bed or one of the similar products on the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannye View Post
Tahitian Moon Sand... that's the one! I hadn't thought of the substrate being a scratching problem, but now that you mention it, I bet those tiny little pieces of quartz would have a field day with the plastic tank. Looks like I have to find another substrate... maybe fine gravel over peat moss or sphagnum?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrr View Post
I have this tank and love it! My one gripe is that the sides have much less lighting than the rest of the tank, since the ballasts limit the space in the hood Booo!

I got mine on sale and then on another sale... And paid under $40! It was a great deal. I have bettas so the filter is a godsend.

Cant wait to see pics of the set up if you have them.
I agree with the lights, here's my fix for that (got the idea from here)

I recently rescaped due to neglect on my watch but hopefully on the mend
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Aben314
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
I agree with the lights, here's my fix for that (got the idea from here)

I recently rescaped due to neglect on my watch but hopefully on the mend
I see the binder clips but I'm totally missing how those lights are held up. Looks like magic to me
Have you modified the reflectors on the clamp lights at all? What wattage are you running? I have the same clamp lights over a 10 gallon.

Do you have any thing between the lights and the water?
Aben314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aben314 View Post
I see the binder clips but I'm totally missing how those lights are held up. Looks like magic to me
Have you modified the reflectors on the clamp lights at all? What wattage are you running? I have the same clamp lights over a 10 gallon.

Do you have any thing between the lights and the water?
The tank comes with a clear plastic hood, that's what the binder clips are "floating" on

I'm running 2 13W 6500k CFL's, same on my 10gal with good results. I didn't do any modification on the reflectors at all, only removed the clamps so they would stand straight.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I put the 24 inch aqueon plant fixture on.
Two T5 bulbs.. Alooooooooooot of light... But now the corners are lit lol..
Eldachleich is offline   Reply With Quote