New thank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
PierreG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New thank

Hello to all,

I am new in the aquascaping world! I have an old 36x18x18 aquarium (50g) getting slowly ready to be setup for aquascaping. I don't know much about aquascaping, but I read a lot about it lately.

I will like to setup a thank with "grass" and "short" plant. With a small tree with grass attach on it and maybe few rocks (Ryuoh or Dragon/Ohko stones). The design is in progress and will depend of the stones availability. For the fish, i am not sure yet: few Tetra probably.

My thank: 50gal
Light: Finnex Ray 2 (brand new!)
Filter: An old Fluval 404
PowerHead: Marineland Maxi-Jet 600 (probably setup with a pre-filter to help the Fluval and create a bit of water movement)
Heater: 200w Internal
CO2: no full system yet...I plan to start with 2 bottles DIY.

I have just order 27 liters of "Aqua Soil - New Amazonia Normal Type" and "CaribSea Super Naturals Peace River Gravel 20lb".

I will like to create 2 hills. Starting with 2" in front of the aquarium to 6-7" in back, with a small valley in the center (not exactly) with some gravel. And glue small stones together (with silicone) to make a small wall between the plant section (AquaSoil) and my gravel section (valley)...

To save a bit on the Aquasoil ($) to build the hills, I was planning to put some sand (pool filter sand not very fine and neutral) as the bottom substrate and put approx. 2.5 to 3" of Amazonia Aquasoil on top.

Is the sand a bad idea? if yes...why?

Or what other "filler" I can used? Cheap gravel? Neutral Stone?

Thank you!
Pierre
PierreG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Not sand, it would go anaerobic and stinky. Lava rock maybe? You could put lava rock or gravel in appropriately sized nylons so you could separate the expensive AquaSoil from the cheap filler easily when you decide to rearrange the tank.

That tank is a really nice one for aquascaping and growing plants.

Before getting the tank wet please set up your hardscape - soil, rocks and tree - and post photos here for lots of advice on how you might tweak things to make it even better. Placing rocks as a barrier is not very easy to do. Size and placing make a huge difference. If you end up placing them semi permanently with silicone might as well have some other eyes look at it first.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
PierreG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you for your help !!!

Lava rock? Is it a red rock? Any link or image of the lava rock will be appreciated...please? If yes...I have more than 100 lb of it ...and I don't know what to do with it

Good idea for the net....a have a 36x24" black net screen than I can put between the filler and the Aquasoil.

I start doing my sketching and planning/purchasing everything...and do the setup in dry mode. I am an experience photographer, then for the look and the detail, I think...got the eyes....will see!

Thanks !
Pierre

Last edited by PierreG; 11-30-2014 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: small update
PierreG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.