Looking for ideas
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-17-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
Raith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Looking for ideas

Hi gang!

Looking for ideas here. I attached a picture of what I want my scape to be, I've used Eco-Complete in the past, and I like it, however, it was VERY hard to make a slope. Has anyone made an attempt with EC, or should I try something else? Thanks in ADVANCE for the ideas/input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	392682  

Raith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Is that a side diagram?
If it's a front diagram, that looks bad.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Raith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd want it to be the front, I'd think the slope adds effect on it, I've seen some tanks that are similar. Why is it bad? Maybe cap the lower portion with sand.
RAOK CLUB #0
Old 11-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
falcooo
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think it is bad, you do whatever you want and I'm sure once planted and scaped you can make it look good. I did a similarly drastic slope in my tank, but it was to the back-right corner instead, and I also used eco complete. The tank has been set up for a couple of months and the slope is still intact. I used rocks to help keep the slope in place, and also planted a lot of crypts along the base/slope of the hill in hope that the roots will also help keep the slope in place.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Raith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
I don't think it is bad, you do whatever you want and I'm sure once planted and scaped you can make it look good. I did a similarly drastic slope in my tank, but it was to the back-right corner instead, and I also used eco complete. The tank has been set up for a couple of months and the slope is still intact. I used rocks to help keep the slope in place, and also planted a lot of crypts along the base/slope of the hill in hope that the roots will also help keep the slope in place.
Mind showing some pictures? I'd love to see it, I tried to do a semi-slope with my 20g then I gave up because I could not keep the slope.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
falcooo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is what I did....

Old 11-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
NotCousteau
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think a side slope like that could turn out really cool. I've seen people do it with great effect, although their slopes were a bit more dramatic. Sorry, no help here on how to stabilize Eco Complete.
NotCousteau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
TankFreak420
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have always made drastic slopes in my tanks, hard part is keeping them up (really hard with sand then I have cories too). Only thing that has worked for me is to use rocks as a "guard" (I can't think of the word I am looking for). Comes out looking really nice, wish I has a descent camera and could see into my scaped 10g to take a pitcher lol.
RAOK Club Member #151
5g Hex, 2 10g, 15g, 38g, 40g B, 120g (in the making)
TankFreak420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Looking for ideas

I use rock work & carpet plants to maintain substrate slopes. The other part of the equation is no diggers. Cichlids and bottom shifters will alter your scape and possibly change and or destroy your slope(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Having a shape other than straight alters the frame of the picture. This causes the eye to focus on it unnecessarily. If, however, all sides of the frame were undulated, it wouldn't be as big of an issue because each undulated side balances out the opposite side. With only one (the bottom) it's an eyesore.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #11
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Looking for ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Having a shape other than straight alters the frame of the picture. This causes the eye to focus on it unnecessarily. If, however, all sides of the frame were undulated, it wouldn't be as big of an issue because each undulated side balances out the opposite side. With only one (the bottom) it's an eyesore.

Totally disagree. The tank itself is the "frame". I take a block of what I interpret as a natural scene with all it's undulations and try to develop and maintain those valleys and rises. The dips and elevations in front help accentuate these features. Definitely not an eyesore. The foreground needs some love too!

Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks

Last edited by BeastMaster; 11-18-2014 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: grammar
BeastMaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #12
Raith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got more ideas from you guys. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #13
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
Totally disagree. The the tank itself is the "frame". I take a block of what I interpret as a natural scene with all it's undulations and try to develop and maintain those valleys and rises. The dips and elevations in front help accentuate these features. Definitely not an eyesore. The foreground needs some love too!

The tank is not the frame but the box that forms part of the frame. The substrate forms the bottom of that frame and it must be straight.

If you look at it long enough, you'll eventually see that it is a problem. If you don't look, you won't see.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:13 AM   #14
knm<><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
The tank is not the frame but the box that forms part of the frame. The substrate forms the bottom of that frame and it must be straight.

If you look at it long enough, you'll eventually see that it is a problem. If you don't look, you won't see.
I disagree as well. If you have a rimless tank what is the top of the frame? There is no rule that the substrate line "must be straight". A natural looking scape will have irregular lines, just as nature has irregular lines.

Bottom line is that you should do what makes you happy. Everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion. With your tank, your own opinion is really all that matters. While it's nice to get compliments, don't put too much weight on them or the criticisms. Do what you like.
Fraternity of Dirt #168
knm<>< is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 04:48 AM   #15
Mike Letourneau
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Raith,

To answer your question, I also used a sand substrate and couldn't figure out how to keep it sloped. I visited my local hardware store to price out PVC or vinyl as it is fish safe and inexpensive. I recently learned from experience that it is less expensive than sand substrate and offers the capability of adding height to the aquascape without the weight of substrate or the extreme buoyancy of polystyrene (foam). PVC and vinyl both are just barely buoyant enough to float.

PVC pipes are no more than $5 for a 10' pipe (you will want varying diameters of these)
Unpainted vinyl gutters are about $8 for a 10' section

Unpainted vinyl gutters modified can help if you shape a sort of "stair case".
PVC piping also functions in the same manner with less of a dramatic edge. Using PVC piping of varying diameters, you can fashion a type of "slope" by putting the larger diametered pipes on the side of the highest intended part of the slope and working your way to the lowest end of the slope with progressively smaller diametered PVC pipes.

A lesson I learned regarding "keeping substrate on the structure" was to add a pipe of slightly larger diameter as the last pipe intended to go at the lowest part of the slope. This is what was going to help me keep my substrate on the slope from sliding down. i.e. if the last pipe (at the lowest part) of my slope is 1", add another pipe of 1.5" or 2" diameter next to it to function as a sort of "lip".
Don't forget to cap your pipes so you aren't losing lots of your substrate inside the pipes.

I just finished a project with this build, and while I used lava rock as my substrate (for other reasons), sand can be used just the same.

Drilled and custom plumbed 29g sump
Odyssea quad T5HO
High tech CO2
Mike Letourneau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.