5 Gallon Sneak peak
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

5 Gallon Sneak peak

Got my hands on a 5 gallon. The top cracked a bit so resealed the crack.
went through a bottle and 1/2 of sealant from home depot. Had a box of large pebbles laying around so i figure id try something new. 3d permanent background. I also sprayed the back of the tank with black gloss paint from HD (99 cents ftw)

Front view: left an inch from the bottom bare...figure sand or gravel should cover it nicely

Top view: top left is where the filter will fall into place...hopefully theres enough room for a heater as well...size of hole was determined by a python gravel vac. I had it sitting there as i piled the rocks/glued them with sealant over it.

The crack. cant really see it once everything goes into place.
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
tendertouche401
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The tank looks pretty good...what will you use this for. I was told that the sealant for Home Depot could not be used for tank that will house fish....

You are creative...I like the look of the rocks...
tendertouche401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That background is pretty cool. Good job!
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

haha thanks guys, ive been using this silicone from home depot for all of my tanks that needed repair...i see nothing wrong with it. Ive sealed a 55 gallon that held water. Is it toxic to fish? well i dont see anywhere on the lable that says non toxic but if it helps, my red minors bred and i had 2 babies when that tank was shut down ^^.

I just nuked my gravel with potassium permanganate and am in the process of setting the tank up, will post pictures soon
Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

I use GE silicon 2, only because they didn't have GE silicon 1 in a small tube. I've had no problems. You just gotta look to see if it say's "mildew and bacteria resistant" or something of the like because that has chemicals in it that wouldn't work for a fish tank.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

haha i just use the clear water proof one thats cheap and comes in a small squeeze out bottle...(they have either clear or white)

Specifications:
5 Gallon rectangle
Filter: Aquaclear 20 HOB
50w heater: Temp: 77-78
Light: 5 gallon standard hood screw on bulb: will be buying a 20w coralife bulb (i think it makes the tank pink tho...i will try standard house CFL 11w bulb first and see if plants will grow, everythings so yello tho)
Plants: elating carpet. im gona try to see if i can grow some on the rocks.
Live Stock: cherry shrimp, 2-3 otto cats and MTS.
Dry fert: NPK, csm+b, Flourish iron (will switch over to miller microplex and iron fert when i run out of the others...long way to go)
diy yeast co2

heres pictures as promised...
Water is still cloudy but should clear up by tomorrow.
Ill take pictures when i start planting should be in a week or two.

This picture shows the heater and stuff being hidden. Tank is equipment free from sight
Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look for the daylight CFL's in 5000 or 6500k. They will grow plants nice for you and give you better viewing light as well. I use the 6500k personally because I think they're better, but I have used 5000k as well and it grew plants just fine. Lowes is the place to look.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh yea? usually their cfls range from 4000-5000...but ill give it a shot again tomorrow ^^ i dont wana pay $15 for a screw on bulb via Thatfishplace
Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Nice - I like it. I've tried DIY foam backgrounds and always ended up trashing them because they didnt look realistic. I may try something similar to what you did.

How are you getting water flow to the filter? are there openings in the rock around the intake?
ThinkTank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I also tried my hands on a DIY foam background for my 60G, but decided to toss it as I didn't really like the outcome of it. I had this GREAT vision in my head, but it never turned out the way I wanted it to.

But now THIS idea of glueing rocks to the back is genius! I'm gonna have to steal this idea from you and try it out myself one day
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Tanks: 60G | 5.5G | Evolve4
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

----------Nice - I like it. I've tried DIY foam backgrounds and always ended up trashing them because they didnt look realistic. I may try something similar to what you did.

I tried looking for foam but i dont have any on hand and i wouldnt know which one to buy...my suggestion is to glue the rocks ONTO the foam that way you can always take out the whole thing and soak in bleach or whatever u need to clean it...also if u need to adjust something u can do so by just riping out the wall. I just didnt have foam on hand.

I never tried this with bigger rocks/slate rocks so i wouldnt know how it would hold up...i can tell you this that silicone is very flimsy and i can still wiggle some rocks around...but it should hold if i dont break it off.

---------------How are you getting water flow to the filter? are there openings in the rock around the intake?

I had an opening at the bottom but when the gravel went in it covered most of it...theres sitll a tiny opening at the bottom. but theres definitely an opening at the top. If i had more time and effort put into making this, i would have done an overflow method (sealing off completely the bottom) There are also small openings in between the pillar. I didnt seal it completely, its rocks stacked on top of other rocks so u dont see the holes/messy sealant.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
tendertouche401
Algae Grower

Thank you guys, I was told from another forum to use the sealant specifically for aquariums. here I go spending monies I did not have on an expensive sealant which I could have purchased a silicone sealant from HD. Live and learn...

Thanks again.

I do not mind standing corrected...LOL
tendertouche401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aheartlessfish View Post
oh yea? usually their cfls range from 4000-5000...but ill give it a shot again tomorrow ^^ i dont wana pay $15 for a screw on bulb via Thatfishplace
Yea man...it's $10 for a two pack of 23 watt bulbs I believe. Really like your background by the way! If it was me, I would add a couple "shelves" of rock and stick some anubias on them
Old 06-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #14
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

haha i would have done shelving too but i like i mentioned i didnt put alot of time into it...i would have done caves instead of shelves ^^. First time doing this so ill plan it out better next time...great project regardless

as for the silicone...im not recommending that you use HD sealant...recommendation WOULD be aquarium sealant...thats if u can afford it and if its worth it for you...everyone has their budgets and personal opinions.

Heck, if i had the cash id have ADA ship me some of their soil kits and their ADA tanks...but i have to resort to using cracked 5 gallon tanks ^^
Old 06-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you get the right silicon from HD, it's likely the same stuff they sell as aquarium silicon...only 3 times as expensive because they sell it in the pet store.