Anything new/interesting in town?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 05-30-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
Honolulufishy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Anything new/interesting in town?

Now that I realize there are so many Hawaii members here (i.e. more than a couple), I just wanted to run this thread about any fish or plants of note available in town. Then again, "interesting" is realtive, I suppose, depending on your fish/plant fixations. In any case, I'm always happy to hear about something different that's available, even if I don't raise that type of fish/plant.

I drove over the Pets Unlimited (Kalihi Shopping Center) the other week, to take a look at those "electric blue Jack Dempseys" (or were they just "blue Jack Dempseys" -- I forget), as well as to see what apistos they may have. Well, the Dempseys, whether blue or electric blue were fairly striking, but just not the type of fish that I raise (too aggressive) -- attractive nonetheless. Oh, and they had nice borelliis (why do they call them "umbrella dwarf cichlids"?). BTW, with New City Nissan moving in and tearing down the Kalihi Shopping Center, is this the end of Pets Unlimited, or are they moving the place. I don't know where they could move the place that my little girl called "the stinkiest pet shop" that we visit.

I was ecstatic a month or so ago, with the recent shipments of Scarlet Badis. I'd looked for them for a while, after some stress from a move killed my previous stock. First I picked up 4 of them at Coral Fish, but 2 of them died in the first week. To my surprise, however, they had a nice crop of them at Petland Ala Moana, so I bought 2 more (to my further surprise, they were cheap -- $1.95 at Petland, vs. $4 or $5 at Coral Fish, although with my pleasure at finding them, it really didn't matter).

Although I've purchased fish over the 'net for shipment, I'd much prefer to buy locally, for convenience, as well as to support our LFS. If anyone comes across any Laetacaras (curviceps or dorsigera) or Keyhole cichlids, I'll drive helter skelter across town to buy them.

Any of you looking for anything in particular??? Never hurts to have other members aware of what you might be looking to find.

Aloha all, Honolulufishy
Eheim Pimp #70!

20G long: dwarf cichlids, sparkling gouramis, and a couple of kuhli loaches. 2 x 24W T5, DIY CO2, Eheim 2213.

75G: Cichlids, rainbows, gouramis, loaches, and tetras. 4 x 54W T5s + 2 x 55W PCs, pressurized CO2, Eheim 2213 & 2215
Honolulufishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
timber
Algae Grower

Hey Hfishy,
That shipment of Scarlet Badis was a good one! Lots of females. Pets Unlimited had some good stuff this past month, did you see the Boraras brigittae?

I have not seen Laetecara or keholes in a long time, it seems they are out of fashion right now. Everybody seems to be stocking a lot of Rams (ramierzi and altsispinosa) ...Boring. The local breeders are producing a lot of A. cacatuoides and can be easily found.

Pets and Plants have a lot of really nice A. agassizi right now but they are really expensive- $13 each! WTH?

I just picked up some Chocolate Gouramis at AlaMoana, they look good... right now. They should all be dead in a week. [seething cynisism]

Pets Plus got a bunch of Downoi, Java Fern Tropica, Philippines and narrow leaf today... nothing good in the way of fish.

I am looking for altum angels, and no I don't want those Peruvian imposters everybody tries to sell.
timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Zach987
Planted Member

cheap for me, but maybe the norm around here

.25 cent neons at ala moana, Im used to playing 2.00+.

Regards.

Our Blog
My Flickr page
Zach987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
Honolulufishy
Algae Grower

I was going to note the nice, healthy furcata rainbows that I found at Petland Ala Moana (!) over the weekend
. . .
then I noticed that 3 out of 5 were quickly missing from my little tank, and my L. Dorsigera looked more smiley than usual. Damn.

Pets Discount near Ala Moana had some nice looking African butterfly cichlids (Anomalochromis thomasi) -- very robust (sounds funny, describing those little buggers as "robust").

I've stopped being tempted by those checkerboard cichlids (Dicrossus filementosa) at Coral Fish, as I've grown pretty tired of killing them. I don't know why I can't keep them alive.

Happy hobbying,
Honolulufishy
Eheim Pimp #70!

20G long: dwarf cichlids, sparkling gouramis, and a couple of kuhli loaches. 2 x 24W T5, DIY CO2, Eheim 2213.

75G: Cichlids, rainbows, gouramis, loaches, and tetras. 4 x 54W T5s + 2 x 55W PCs, pressurized CO2, Eheim 2213 & 2215
Old 09-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Hawaii5-0
Algae Grower

Hey Im looking for a 75gal tank... where did you get yours?

Josh
Hawaii5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
kick'n wrasse

might be hard to find a 75 around hilo, check stacy's; i didnt think they had any, but they might order one for you. might have to call Stocklys in kailua, a bit expensive but they might have one that size.
kick'n wrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
Honolulufishy
Algae Grower

Sorry H5-0, can't help you in finding one on the Big Island. As for Oahu, I bought all my tanks (including the empty ones in the garage ) at Pets Plus/Moanalua Pets, [start jingle music] purveyors of fine supplies for pet enthusiasts island wide! [end jingle music]
(now I gotta go ask Myles for an endorsement fee )

Seriously though, I try to buy all my supplies there.
Eheim Pimp #70!

Old 10-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Zach987
Planted Member

has anyone seen some light reflectors in the ohau area about the length of an eclipce 12?

Our Blog
My Flickr page
Zach987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #9
Steven_Chong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You guys are killing me . . . I wish I was back home right now . . . T-T

BTW-- there are some pretty nice fish at an LFs around here . . . A lot of stuff I never find in Hawai'i. Anyone got any requests for stuff they want me to look out for and maybe sneak back come december?

Nothing good in terms of plants though . . .
Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 AM   #10
kenneth_kpe
Planted Member

hi im gonna ressurect this thread a bit

i was googling for "planted tank hawaii" and came across this thread well i want to ask what are the good planted tank places in honolulu ? (im not from hawaii but a good friend of mine is) im planning to have him buy me a few planted tank accesories not available here (philippines) like solenoids etc etc
kenneth_kpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:23 AM   #11
Steven_Chong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Here are some names:

Pet's Plus

(which is connected to quite a few other stores like Moanalua pets, but really Pet's Plus is where their best plants come in)

Used to work here, so gotta put in the good word. Talk to Stan if you get the chance. A lot of local breeders and plant hobbyists sell their stuff to this store, but often you'll miss the best stuff unless Stan knows you well and tells you, or you have insanely good eyes.

Moanalua Pets

This is the store you probably want to go for hardware-- they specialize in Planted Tank light systems. They're also known to bring in the *questionable* items in terms of plants and fish. IE you'll sometimes see things here you won't see anywhere else. Also a lot of hobbyists bring their stuff to them.

Prices are a bit inflated though . . .

Jojo is the guy I like to talk to when I go there, but really all the guys there know their stuff. Nice display tank that Jojo does. They especially like HAS members.

Pet Land

Go to the Kahala one if you can . . . there is rarely anything at Ala Moana that you can't get at the Kahala one . . . except sometimes Ala Moana gets rare small fish that Kahala doesn't. Derek, who is an amazing breeder (I've been to his house it's awesome), sells to Ala Moana usually-- though also to Moanalua Pet's.

If you go to the Kahala one, try to talk to Robert-- he's a cool guy who did the impressive rimless custom planted tank they have there. By and large, the best Aquarium Store display tank in Hawai'i.

By and large, they're pretty good stores all. They're really local-kind stores, so I'd make sure to befriend the managers. Especially with the first two shops, you'll find yourself much more welcome if you know the people there.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:12 AM   #12
kenneth_kpe
Planted Member

*edit doh ! did not read the full post thanks a lot
hmm noW to ask my friend to look for the solenoid...
kenneth_kpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #13
hir0
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to hir0

if anyone sees any nicaraguense or geophagus surinamensis please let me know
also keyholes or curviceps. Modern pets over by alamoana walmart has some nice yellow/gold orange flash cacatuoides btw.

thanks!
hir0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:21 AM   #14
Rond
Algae Grower

I'm going to re-resurrect this thread again .

Can anyone please tell me the direction to go to Moanalua Pets? My dad tried to drive me there but he got lost .

Also what is the new address for Pets Unlimited (the store in Kalihi Shopping Center)? Someone says it's somewhere in Dillingham area, can anyone confirm it or give the address please.

Hawaii sure has quite a lot of LFS: http://fins.actwin.com/dir/stores.php?c=1&r=57. Add LFS you know or edit LFS that doesn't belong there so people know about it.

I no longer trust Yahoo or Mapquest LFS directories; I got fooled twice by trying to go to a LFS that was listed in their directories. When I reached the supposedly LFS I found it was something else entirely or doesn't exist.

What LFS sells Bolbitis heudelotii and is Pet Plus still selling Java Fern "Philippines"?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #15
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)
Default directions

the new location for Pets Unlimited (old kalihi shopping center) is in Dillingham Square (next to the kapalama canal) same place you take the driving test or renew your license. store itself is next to the grocery outlet in the mauka corner look for the bird cages outside the door. new store is nice, and looks like they are getting more into high end plants and stuff.

Moanalua pets is in the Stadium mall shopping center diamond head of the aloha stadium, next to the subway. again look for the bird cages outside. this is the shopping center with the ice palace skating rink.
dhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote