Water from faucet for discus?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 06-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Water from faucet for discus?

My spare heater just died which I use for heating water for water changes. This is for a discus tank. If I adjust the temp properly from the faucet so it matches tank temp, is that okay? I would of course be using water conditioner as well.

Is NYC water clean enough for that, I lice in manhattan? Thanks for any help!
DrewWoodside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

There should be no problem with that, Drew.
But to be on the safe side, check the pH of the water out of your tap, and see how that compares to the usual range of pH in your tank.
If the difference is within 1.0, i.e. between say .01 and .09, that should be just fine.
If it's greater than 1.0, let the tap water gas off in the sink or a bucket for an hour or two, and then check it to see how it compares.
And don't worry about several degrees difference in temp between the tap water which has been left standing for a while, and that in your tank.
You're just doing percentage wcs - not complete changes of water, so there will be some equalization/dilution of both temp and pH when the tap water is added to the tank.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
MadDiscus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

i assume they are domestic discus and you have been use aged tap water. if so, you're fine as long as not more than 5 degree lower than tank temp. just put Prime/water conditioner in first, then pump water into tank, but no more than 75%WC, I refer 50%.
MadDiscus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey Paul, thanks for the info. I did and it worked great! Fish are still swimming btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
There should be no problem with that, Drew.
But to be on the safe side, check the pH of the water out of your tap, and see how that compares to the usual range of pH in your tank.
If the difference is within 1.0, i.e. between say .01 and .09, that should be just fine.
If it's greater than 1.0, let the tap water gas off in the sink or a bucket for an hour or two, and then check it to see how it compares.
And don't worry about several degrees difference in temp between the tap water which has been left standing for a while, and that in your tank.
You're just doing percentage wcs - not complete changes of water, so there will be some equalization/dilution of both temp and pH when the tap water is added to the tank.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Mk4Gti
Algae Grower

The water in NYC is usually very clean, but since you live in Manhattan, it basically depends on the pipes in your building. I live in a private home in queens and i put water straight from my faucet into my 90 gallon planted tank with no issue, i dont even use water conditioner any more.
Mk4Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
kubalik
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk4Gti View Post
The water in NYC is usually very clean, but since you live in Manhattan, it basically depends on the pipes in your building. I live in a private home in queens and i put water straight from my faucet into my 90 gallon planted tank with no issue, i dont even use water conditioner any more.
I do the same !
kubalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
yellowsno
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk4Gti View Post

Guilty as charged
yellowsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ha. Well I've done it for about a week over 3 or 4 WCs now, with water conditioner. And everything seems to be okay so far. Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

i have done str8 tap for 2 years
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote