GE P&A are outta sight!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

GE P&A are outta sight!

i've been using 24" t8s, one was 10,000K the other was 5,000K... i switched to a pair of 24" GE P&A bulbs, and after 2 weeks, growth rates are almost doubled, red plants are showing red again, and my taiwan moss is finally taking off. shameless plug, but these bulbs are "the jammy"

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I have used the T12 flavor of them, but hated the looks of it. Makes plants look brown in my opinion. Switched to clean-looking 6500K (Philips) and at least to my eyes it looks much better. Not sure what the plants think though...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

well, I just did a kh and ph test for the first time since I put them in (i've since replaced my CO2 cylinder, but changed the bubble rates to match previous settings). anyway, tests are showing 40-45ppm of CO2. That could explain the difference as much as the new bulbs, although I think it's a combination of the two. I've had no losses as a result of the higher CO2, but I intend to bring it down to about 30 to be on the safe side (green spot and green filament algae on the glass has totally disappeared, and the water is crystal clear) I suppose I should stress the importance of regular testing, especially after any change in setup (new CO2 cylinder, new lights, new dosing, new plants, water change, etc.)

I do like the more mellow visible color range of the P&A bulbs, and just added a pair of them over my 20g apisto tank (along with 2 other t8 bulbs... a 10k and an all glass 9325-ish looking bulb), and I gotta say I dig the way it makes the fish, plants, and driftwood "pop".

Oqsy

edit:
I just reread my posts and thought I should clarify so as to prevent confusion. I have 18" t8 P&As over my 20H, and 24" t12 P&As over my 29, so the t12s should be the same as what wasserpest is describing.
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

Last edited by Oqsy; 05-30-2005 at 04:12 AM..
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
qitguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I picked up a GE plant and aquarium bulb today but for my Tanganyikan tank. I was looking for a low lumen flourescent to give a subdued daylight since my fish in their natural habitat live between 30 and 60 meters (90-180ft for you imperial folks), I wanted to stay away from the extreme bright light I get from some of the other aquarium daylight bulbs (7000k for example). The GE P&A is actually the lowest of the GE bulbs at 1900 lumens and I really like the effect I get with my black backround. I also picked up a couple of 20" LED light strips sold as accent lights and are encased in brass channels which I stuck to the back of my flourescent light ballast hood. With the daylights off at about 9:00pm, these look incredible! You don't get the blue effect but it looks really nice. I thought of using a couple of blue LED light strips sold as those cheesy car detail strips, they run on 12V power.

In my 30 gallon planted tank I use a T6 Daylight 7000K (30W) and a T6 Color Intensifier (30W) which is classified as their grow light in this series of bulbs (Lightening Rod T6 Superlux). These do a great job and my plants are going wild!

Bill
qitguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.