CmLaracy's ADA 75P v.5 (v.6 Preview just added, 3/11)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

CmLaracy's ADA 75P v.5 (v.6 Preview just added, 3/11)

Hello everyone, first of all thanks for checking out my journal This is the 5th iteration that I've shown online, 6th if you count one that was not shown online. You can check my signature for all the previous versions. I was 14 when I made the first one, I'm now 19, so about a scape per year, all with this same ADA tank.

So this time around I decided on a left side oriented scape with Seiryu stone. Some of the stones were used in version 4, some weren't.

-ADA 75P - 75cmx45cmx45cm, 42 gallons
-150w Aquamedic Metal Halide Pendant
-150w ADA 8000K HQI
-Filstar xP3, Bio Rio and fine filtration pads
-Pressurized CO2 w/ ADA beetle 30 diffuser
-3L AS recycled from version 4
-9L AS Amazonia normal
-2x9L AS Amazonia powder
-500mL Brighty K, 500mL Brighty Step 1, 500mL Brighty Lights, ECA, Green Bacter, Green Gain, Bacter 100
-Cal Aqua Lily Pipes, 17mm
-Hand built ADA look-a-like stand
-90cmx45cm Garden Mat
-60lbs Seiryu Stone

Flora: I went very simple with the plants again this time, love the elegant simplicity of Iwagumi. The soil is sloped to an extreme degree to get the depth, about 1" in the front, well over 8" in parts of the back, especially on the left.

-Cyperus helferi
-Hemianthus callitrichoides (lots)
-Java Moss

Let's begin with the pictures, I got a Nikon D5100 recently so I made sure to take pictures all along the way

All the Aquasoil, there's a layer of recycled AS under this fresh stuff with some bacter 100 sprinkled on top. Call it DIY powersand

First 3 main stones

Final stone formation

After planting, you can probably see that I went through quite a bit of HC

Center structure after planting

Secondary structure

Some close ups of plants, especially the HC and Java packed into the rock crevices

The 'valley'

Fill'er up!

By far the cleanest my lily pipes will ever be during this scape

Center structure after fill

Diffuser in action

Completely filled and a little cleared up

Thanks for looking! All comments appreciated

Last edited by CmLaracy; 03-11-2014 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: update
CmLaracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
gotplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow, I wonder how long it took to plant all that HC.. The tank looks great. How come you're not doing a dry start?

Loving the hardscape btw.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotplants View Post
Wow, I wonder how long it took to plant all that HC.. The tank looks great. How come you're not doing a dry start?

Loving the hardscape btw.
About 5 hours for the HC, 8 hours of planting. The whole tear-down and reset was done in one sitting, about 16 hours. I'm wiped!

Never been a fan of the dry start, it's a bit too slow, and I don't have to bother with the transition from emersed growth to submersed. I was considering doing it this time though because my LFS switched to emersed HC, and the Cyperus is also emersed. I'm hoping everything will transition smoothly.

I only have until the beginning of September then back to TCNJ for a semester, and I'm 2 hours away... going to have to teach the parents some Aquscaping maintenance , I can only come home on weekends. Thanks for the compliments! I'm thinking I need to tweak the rotation of the main stone though.

Last edited by CmLaracy; 06-18-2012 at 01:39 AM..
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
gotplants
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
I only have until the beginning of September then back to TCNJ for a semester, and I'm 2 hours away... going to have to teach the parents some Aquscaping maintenance , I can only come home on weekends. Thanks for the compliments! I'm thinking I need to tweak the rotation of the main stone though.
Haha good luck with that. Hopefully they have some experience. I would hate to come home to a take full of algae..
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

This looks great. I really love the Ada bulbs. They really make green tanks pop and are worth every penny.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Beautifully setup, this will look wonderful filled in.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i really like the hardscape.
i also admire your ability to keep things simple, my collectoritis would make it impossible for me to have a tank with that few species.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
About 5 hours for the HC, 8 hours of planting. The whole tear-down and reset was done in one sitting, about 16 hours. I'm wiped!
Oh my god that is terrifying XD, at least none of it came up or is floating right?
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overfloater View Post
This looks great. I really love the Ada bulbs. They really make green tanks pop and are worth every penny.
Thanks! Yeah they really are nice, and I don't use the 'green' version believe it or not. The regular 8000k... I feel like the 'green' bulb would wash the whole tank out in green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Beautifully setup, this will look wonderful filled in.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
i really like the hardscape.
i also admire your ability to keep things simple, my collectoritis would make it impossible for me to have a tank with that few species.
Thanks, it really is my favorite style. I find simplicity to be elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Oh my god that is terrifying XD, at least none of it came up or is floating right?
Yeah, it's all staying down nicely so far, phew.

Here's some shots now that the water is close to crystal.

Last edited by CmLaracy; 06-14-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

The water is finally crystalline. Can't resist using the new camera, here's two more shots.

Last edited by CmLaracy; 06-20-2012 at 02:25 AM..
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hahaha.. but seriously.. wheres the water.. :P
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Haha it's a dry start filled with water (edit: joking)

So I need some opinions, what would you guys think of some Anubias nana 'narrow leaf' or nana 'petite' among the larger rock structure?

Last edited by CmLaracy; 06-16-2012 at 01:58 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
dtsuyuki
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hey, great job with the hardscape and planting. Those are some great farming skills and will surely produce a tightly knit carpet. One suggestion I would make is to reconsider the application of moss you currently have. Personally, if you have any leftover stone, break it up into small pieces and use mesh to wrap them in moss. You'll get a much better even look to the moss. At this point, I can anticipate you taking it out later on when it grows too wild looking in your, what seems to be, very clean iwagumi style. The plant in the back stands out quite a bit at this point. You might consider using larger nana petite anunbias in the back and smaller nana petites between the rocks if your interest is in anubias. Or swap the moss out for mini pelia =).. that's my favorite. Anyways, great job on the tank; i look forward to seeing it develop.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think it would be okay, but actually, I might considering placing one of the longer leafed anubias species in the rocks, mainly due to the elongated shape of the rocks, I think it would work nicely
then again I'm not sure what you are envisioning either, and I tend to like to go a little off the beaten path when I do aquarium work
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

Dtsuyuki- Thanks, HC is my bread and butter. In terms of the moss, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to its placement as it's not the moss I wanted, my LFS ran out of the moss I wanted, hence Java moss. Also, I planted it similarly (not exaclty) to how I did with my last scape, and it came out how I wanted it. I know that if I leave it like this I'm going to have to do some clever trimming, keep it really compact and tight. In terms of the Cyperus helferi in the back, I have moss and HC planted in a way that will cover the base and make it stand out less, I see exactly what you're talking about. I think I'm going to wait until it's draping over the main structure to plant the Anubias, it's a lot of light to be beaming down directly on Anubias, the draping of the Cyperus should help with that. Thanks for the critique, always looking for ways to improve!

HybridHerp- I've been debating between that and petite in the spots you're talking about, so not so far off the beaten path

Thanks guys

Tags
75p, ada, amano, seiryu, sss crs