rubber lip pleco
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-29-2005, 04:11 AM   #1
cprroy73
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

rubber lip pleco

I saw this fish at the lfs recently and was wondering what type of algae do they eat (brown, green spot, hair, etc..)

Are they aggressive toward discus?

Are they destructive? Do they bother any plants?

I like the look these plecos and was wondering about them?

Any info. on them will be appreciated Thanks.
cprroy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

they're a somewhat popular pleco for the planted tank. they don't get nearly as large as *most* plecos... they stay closer to the size of a clown pleco or bristlenose pleco (several sites say about 6"). as for algae consumption... i've never bought a pleco as an "algae eater". they do consume algae from the glass and driftwood, but as much of their diet comes from scavenging (feed sinking wafers) and vegetable matter (blanched zucchini, etc) as well as cellulose from rasping on driftwood. my plecos rarely graze algae during the da or night. the rubbernose might be a better algae eater than clowns or bristlenoses (the plecos I keep), but my guess is it will be pretty similar. If you want an algae eating fish, get 10 otos, if you already have otos, get 10 more if you're tired of otos, get a pair of SAEs. if that doesn't suit you either, do more water changes :P

seriously though, I think everyone needs a pleco or two, just for the fun of if, and rubbernoses are really nifty plecos at that. plecos are funny fish, great scavengers, and as a bonus they'll graze on algae (they'll probably keep any driftwood SPOTLESS), but they are not an all-encompassing solution to algae in the tank.

Oqsy

edit: p.s. they shouldn't be destructive to your tank or your discus. all around easy-going fish.
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 05:40 AM   #3
ctmpwrdcamry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
s or bristlenoses (the plecos I keep), but my guess is it will be pretty similar. If you want an algae eating fish, get 10 otos, if you already have otos, get 10 more if you're tired of otos, get a pair of SAEs.
What are SAE's?
ctmpwrdcamry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 05:48 AM   #4
Tino
Planted Tank Obsessed

Siamese Algae Eater - Crossocheilus Siamensis http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/sae.htm
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 05:52 AM   #5
ctmpwrdcamry
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino
Siamese Algae Eater - Crossocheilus Siamensis http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/sae.htm

Ahh, thought so after i posed the question, but wanted to make sure. I have three of those...or flying foxes im not sure.
ctmpwrdcamry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

This seems to be a reliable site for distinguishing the difference between a SAE and a Flying Fox. If anyone disagrees, please let me know.

http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html
BiscuitSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 06:40 AM   #7
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

agreed... the only problem is that in an LFS, the fish are rarely colored up fully, and what looks like a fish without a stripe all the way through the tail can often darken up, or an extra stripe can become more apparent (first hand experience...) i bought what i thought were false SAEs, disappointed that I couldn't find the real ones. After about 3 days the fish started darkening up, and to my delight they were both true SAEs. the scales became more olive/metalic in color with the reticulated appearance, and the lateral stripe started to show to the tail on both fish.
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
cprroy73
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Oqsy, You answered all my Q's. I really don't need it for algae. I just saw one and liked it so I was curious. The ferts and a few otos should take care of that. Thanks again.
cprroy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
andyg
Planted Member

Although that site has a good general description, it has some minor errors.
I find this one to be more accurate. www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

When they are young, the black stripe in the tail is very faint and may not be readily visible. As Oqsy stated the fish at the lfs are often stressed and may not show all of their coloring.
The only sure way that I found with mine was the single pair of barbels in the true SAE vs two pairs for the false and flying fox.
Andy
Filstar Pimp #9
50 G Eco-Complete, Rena XP-3, DIY Co2, Aqualight 130W PC 6700K.
30G Profile/Gravel, Fluval 404, 30W Fluorecent.
20G AC 150, DIY CO2, Aqualight 65W PC
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #10
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I had a rubber lipped (or bulldog) pleco a while back..it was great at rasping at green spot algae!! I mean it did a great job!! Just don't get two...as they get older they'll hate each other (unless you can sex them?)
Old 06-02-2005, 01:15 AM   #11
VITARTE
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
I had a rubber lipped (or bulldog) pleco a while back..it was great at rasping at green spot algae!! I mean it did a great job!!...
That's the reason I bought one last week. Read about it somewhere in the forum. So far mine spends most of his time in hiding. I guess he's still geting adjusted to his new enviroment.
VITARTE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 01:28 AM   #12
shalu
Wannabe Guru

they are great unless you have acrylic tank. I think they eat algae/vegi only. I believe mine was starved to death after my tank ran out of algae, kind of glad though, because it scratched my plexiglass really bad.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
Fishytales12345
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger View Post
I had a rubber lipped (or bulldog) pleco a while back..it was great at rasping at green spot algae!! I mean it did a great job!! Just don't get two...as they get older they'll hate each other (unless you can sex them?)
I am considering two of them. Preferably one male and one female. But most mail order sources don't let you choose the sex, and there is no LFS in this area worth a darn.

Has anyone experiences with two of the same sex?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
esteroali
Planted Member

Default Rubber Lip

I have one of these in my 20G Semi NPT, set up almost a year. I see a tail wiggle from a rock pile every day or so so I am pretty sure it lives and ther are no bad smells from the tank. I have NEVER seen it swimming around. I have driftwood in the tank and it is clean. I was thinking of giving it away but out of sight out mind.......sometimes I even forget I have it.
esteroali is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
armyoffoo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishytales12345 View Post
I am considering two of them. Preferably one male and one female. But most mail order sources don't let you choose the sex, and there is no LFS in this area worth a darn.

Has anyone experiences with two of the same sex?
They are territorial towards each other and anything resembling an algae eater. I had three in my 80 with a hillstream loach and they chased each other away from their perspective territories as well as chasing away the loach. If you have plenty of hiding spots and a bigger tank they'll be OK. I wouldn't recommend 2 in anything less than a 50 unless it was well planted or they'd probably spend more time chasing each other than eating.
armyoffoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.