TobasB's 3gal Low-Tech Nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
TobasB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

TobasB's 3gal Low-Tech Nano

Hey Guys, after moving my larger tank into the living room I really missed it, so I've been toying with the idea of setting up a very small tank in my bedroom that won't take up to much room.

Was hoping on creating a bit of a paludarium by having plants that are going to grow out of the water. Thinking about going co2, been looking up DIY kits online, if anyones got any good links or tips please post them

At the moment i'm running no filter, i'm going to see how it goes with just doing frequent water changes, if it's unsuccessful then I will buy a small external, the reason I don't want to get one immediately is use water out of my pond for my tanks, it's full of Cyclops and water louse which the fish love, but after an hour or so of being in the tank a lot of the life gets filtered up, with this tank if, If i am keeping one or maybe too fish i'm hoping that the life may be able to sustain itself.

Fish wise i'm not too fussed, I like the idea of Clown Panchax but I think the tank maybe a bit small for them, if so i'm open to suggestions, maybe pigmy Corydoras.

Some pics of the setup, it's only two days old so water is still cloudy, for substrate its sand with a base layer of garden compost. Plants wise there's two young Amazon swords that have come off a runner in my other tank, i've also got a bit of Potamogeton out of the pond, not sure how it will fair in a aquarium so will have to see. There is also a few uninvited guests in the tank at the moments, apart from the cyclops that I like there is a leach and a couple of flat worms that look a bit shady, will see if they get eaten once fish go in.

TobasB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

A calm Betta would be suited for the tank. I found if the betta looks away from you when you stare at it in the cup it is usually a peacefull Betta
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
TobasB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
A calm Betta would be suited for the tank. I found if the betta looks away from you when you stare at it in the cup it is usually a peacefull Betta
Yes that's not a bad idea, would look quite elegant in the tank.

I've ordered the 50 plant bargain surpless off plantsalive.co.uk, going to try and fit them all in an see what grows well, might shift the rocks around and get a bit of wood in aswell soon, i'm not sure if the current rock arrangement will look good with plants.

I've also been looking into Indian Almond leaves, any have them? They look nice in the aquarium and are supposed to be a little beneficial, but i'm not sure if I can justify being dead leaves off the internet for real money lol.
TobasB is offline   Reply With Quote