Ultilmate fertilizer for faster plant growth - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #91
snausage
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

I'm surprised this hasn't generated more interest.....

I believe the idea came from this thread http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14594

Long story short, a lot of ukaps members reported increased growth and greener plants with the 'special N' fertilizer. Of course no one knows exactly why this is, but the anecdotal evidence simply cannot be ignored.

I'd love to try it out happi, but unfortunately I'm so busy these days that it'd be impossible for me to adhere to an exact dosing regimen.
snausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #92
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't generated more interest.....

I believe the idea came from this thread http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14594

Long story short, a lot of ukaps members reported increased growth and greener plants with the 'special N' fertilizer. Of course no one knows exactly why this is, but the anecdotal evidence simply cannot be ignored.

I'd love to try it out happi, but unfortunately I'm so busy these days that it'd be impossible for me to adhere to an exact dosing regimen.
you are right about the idea coming from Tobi's fert, but it is not same as his stuff, my idea was inspired by PMDD, i had similar idea before but i was afraid to try it, i was working on this fert for quite some time, wasted so much dry chemicals to find the correct balance, finally this one worked well, somebody said why not use Mg and Ca sulfate in this mix, i have tried it and it does not work so well, Mg and Ca nitrate seems to work better. but i have not tried mixing the Mg sulfate with Ca nitrate, this mix might work, i have to try it to see how it goes.

the whole idea was to get all the most important Nutrients in same solution, beside Phosphate, this might be possible, but i have yet to try it. in reality all the fertilizer are made the similar way, one might have less or more ferts than the others. if we compare mine and Tobi's fert then that is like comparing TPN vs Seachem, in the end they both fertilize the plants in similar ways. i have seen Tobi's removed Urea from his fert, but this is the main source in my Fert and its very important.

if you think you do not have time to make the mix, i can send you everything premixed.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #93
happi
Planted Tank Guru

i think there is a small problem though, i have noticed that Solubility of So4 and Ca(no3) does not work so well, i have asked this question here but everyone said it does mix fine. but i have noticed it today after mixing the solution, i see some white stuff on the bottom of the solution, which i did not see before when i made the same solution. so i don't know what is going on
looks like i need to work further with this fertilizer, but i would like you hear from those who have better knowledge about the chemicals.

this is a new mix and i don't know what is causing the solution to have the left behind white stuff on the bottom.

1000ml solution
Urea (7 gram)
calcium nitrate (10 gram)
Magnesium nitrate (10 gram)
CSM+B (20 gram)
DTPA 11% (10 gram)
K2SO4 (30 Gram)
MnSO4 (1 gram)
MgSO4 (10 gram)
Ascorbic Acid (1g) (optional)
Potassium Sorbate (0.5g) (optional)

Last edited by happi; 08-01-2012 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: NA
happi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #94
jgb77
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)

From what I have read, not first hand knowledge, if mixing calcium nitrate with magnesium sulfate you are seeing calcium sulfate precipitate.
I just found this by looking online, and I would default to someone who actually knows how to figure this stuff out
Just trying to help you out.

John
jgb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #95
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb77 View Post
From what I have read, not first hand knowledge, if mixing calcium nitrate with magnesium sulfate you are seeing calcium sulfate precipitate.
I just found this by looking online, and I would default to someone who actually knows how to figure this stuff out
Just trying to help you out.

John
hi john i have also figure that too much K2so4 is a problem too in the solution, i have made a seperate solution without any added k2so4 and it mixes well, but i also avoided adding Mgso4, this time i have tried the Miller's MicroPlex instead of csm+b, which have more Mg anyway. i think we should avoid adding any so4 in the same solution.

i made a separate mix of phosphate and k2so4, which seems to mix well, we will see how plant respond to this.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #96
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

There maybe some other non soluble material in the various salts, some of the sulfates are derived from a wide range of materials and can be less pure than say KNO3 or Kh2PO4 etc.

A little heat or hot water can often help.

Same with Trace mixes.

The other trick is adding about 1 ml per 10 mls of water with 5% distilled Vinegar, sake good and wait a few min, then add the salts. This removes the KH(a lot of or all).

I have a lot of Ca(NO3)2 and Mg(NO3)2 from dosing marine planted tanks and gave it a try, but did not find any added benefits to Tobi's mix. If you dose lean and then dose richer, then this can lead to various differences. But if you dose rich and simply change the type of source of the Ca, NO3, K+ etc, this should not matter.

This is more likely what occurs.

Because once you mix all these ions together, they completely disassociate in water. So as far what is present......... it will be the same. The all in one Hoagland's solution and tougher chealtors for Fe, tend to use EDDHA to address PO4 and Fe precipitation, but that's bloody red and more suited for marine system's and pH ranges.

Not sure if DTPA and some vinegar would make a decent all in one. Paul K and Neil Frank used it I think, but that was 15 years ago. I know Neil liked using Ca(NO3) since it was easier for him and his water had little Ca++.
But so does mine today, I have no issues.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #97
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
There maybe some other non soluble material in the various salts, some of the sulfates are derived from a wide range of materials and can be less pure than say KNO3 or Kh2PO4 etc.

A little heat or hot water can often help.

Same with Trace mixes.

The other trick is adding about 1 ml per 10 mls of water with 5% distilled Vinegar, sake good and wait a few min, then add the salts. This removes the KH(a lot of or all).

I have a lot of Ca(NO3)2 and Mg(NO3)2 from dosing marine planted tanks and gave it a try, but did not find any added benefits to Tobi's mix. If you dose lean and then dose richer, then this can lead to various differences. But if you dose rich and simply change the type of source of the Ca, NO3, K+ etc, this should not matter.

This is more likely what occurs.

Because once you mix all these ions together, they completely disassociate in water. So as far what is present......... it will be the same. The all in one Hoagland's solution and tougher chealtors for Fe, tend to use EDDHA to address PO4 and Fe precipitation, but that's bloody red and more suited for marine system's and pH ranges.

Not sure if DTPA and some vinegar would make a decent all in one. Paul K and Neil Frank used it I think, but that was 15 years ago. I know Neil liked using Ca(NO3) since it was easier for him and his water had little Ca++.
But so does mine today, I have no issues.

hi tom, at what temp i could heat up the water before mixing stuff in it, what would happen if the water is too hot and i add the fertilizers??

should i do this when mixing k2so4, Mgno3, Cano3?

i also thought that these chemicals might not be 100% pure and whatever i am seeing is just a chemicals which could not dissolved, but it doesn't mean the i am lacking whatever i have added in there.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #98
happi
Planted Tank Guru

new updated thread with extra changes. K2SO4 seems to not mix very well, i have taken it out of the solution, now solution seems to mix very well.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #99
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

where are you supposed to get this stuff (excluding online sources)?
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #100
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
where are you supposed to get this stuff (excluding online sources)?
i only know online sources, not sure if you can find them anywhere else.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #101
dafil
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any updates,Happi?
Pics may be?
dafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #102
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafil View Post
Any updates,Happi?
Pics may be?
i dont have any update, i tear down my tank to setup a new one, but once the new tank becomes stable i will start to dose the ferts and see how it goes, but so far in the past fert had worked very well.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #103
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

yes happi, I would love some updates on this as well. I am always interested in new fert formulas. I use just typical EI chemicals but I get better color outa low tech barely fertalized tanks. I think the micro mixture will account for some of the differences in color, as far as my tanks is..

Ps. How is that L. Pantanal doing still??? Mine fully melted away, what a surprise! L. Cuba is still growing nicely though.
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #104
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

Was curious, so what are the actual online companies you guys use to get all of the chemicals that goes into this? A few pages back someone mentioned something about GLA or Orlando? Are there more complete names of these companies or links that might help finding this stuff?

Thanks,

Ryan
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #105
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ryan,

GLA=green leaf aquarium and Orlando is the guy that you should communicate with if you want to get it from there. I got my ferts form him too.

There is also another person that sells ferts, nilocg is his userID. I have not personally deal with him, but have read good things about him.

Another person that I can think of is USERID fordtrannyman. I bought some extra ferts from him about 6 months ago.

you can probably PM these ppl to find out about pricing and other stuff they sell.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
Was curious, so what are the actual online companies you guys use to get all of the chemicals that goes into this? A few pages back someone mentioned something about GLA or Orlando? Are there more complete names of these companies or links that might help finding this stuff?

Thanks,

Ryan