pool filter sand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

pool filter sand

are there any Hawaii people here who know where I can get some pool sand in town without emptying my wallet? I only need a very small amount (252 cu in, to be exact), so if someone has a bag open already, I'd be willing to buy some off of you, even.

does anyone know where to get pool filter sand or play sand? I went to home depot, i saw 'coral sand'... has anyone used that in lieu of pool sand?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
CatB
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

i'd be worried about "coral sand" because if it is indeed made of coral, it's like the stuff salties/cichlid keepers use and it would raise your water hardness/pH.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Leslies pool supplies is where i got mine from. They are natonwide so hopefully have one near you.
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Please do yourself a favor & don't buy ANY sands from the big box stores, even though it may be very inexpensive. For sure do not buy play sands (very dusty, gritty & dirty - needs to be rinsed a ton - is small-grained and low density, and will free-float into the water column, getting into filters & clogging impeller assemblies, and will get siphoned our when vacuuming).
Some of those stores will even sell you what they call pool filter sand, but it's usually not, or not good quality, so don't be fooled.
Apart from some good quality sands that you can get at some LFS's, which are usually very expensive, go only for pool filter sand bought at a pool or spa supply store. I suggest a good grade of high density PFS - e.g. # 20 grade or larger, preferably quartz-based silica sand - which will cost you around $10. for a 50# bag.
Very clean, little or no rinsing needed, easy to keep clean, will not get siphoned up easily, and will not clog filters.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Maybe I should rephrase the question: are there any Hawaii people here who know a specific place where I can get some pool sand in town without emptying my wallet? I only need a very small amount (252 cu in, to be exact), so if someone has a bag open already, I'd be willing to buy some off of you, even.

and thanks for the replies, but i asked specifically in this subforum because we don't have a lot of options here, so the things that work on the mainland won't work here necessarily. and if i could afford it, i wouldn't buy from big box stores. but i'm running on a razor thin budget and sometimes these things can't be helped. sad but true. yeah i know, i'm hesitant to buy coral sand, although my water's hardness and pH are already quite low. :/
Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Well, if you don't find someone nearby who has a small amount to give you, or sell to you, go a pool supply store - there must be many of them in Hawaii. As for cost, you may be able to buy less than a 50 lb. bag, but even if you had to do that, in Hawaii, the price should be less than $10. In some places in the U.S. mainland, it's as low as $6.
Check it out.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
RianS
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Not sure what qualifies as emptying your wallet but just go to mr sandman off nimitz.
I picked up 50lb bag of 3M colorquartz about 2 years back for ~25. I'm sure off brand silica will be much cheaper.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
not_sponsored
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Just get some from the beach?
not_sponsored is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Alec8100
Algae Grower

You can usually get the pool filter sand at your local pool supply store...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
EdwardN
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)
Smile Filter gravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
are there any Hawaii people here who know where I can get some pool sand in town without emptying my wallet? I only need a very small amount (252 cu in, to be exact), so if someone has a bag open already, I'd be willing to buy some off of you, even.

does anyone know where to get pool filter sand or play sand? I went to home depot, i saw 'coral sand'... has anyone used that in lieu of pool sand?

Here is the source: http://www.redflint.com/filter_gravel.htm

Call them and ask who is the distributor in your neck of the country.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Do you still need this? I keep forgetting that my co-worker's husband has a pool maintenance service. I can see if they have some extra. Hmmm, 252 cu in... that's like a 6" cube or about 1 gallon of sand?
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.