Mini Zen Garden
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

Mini Zen Garden

Hey everybody. This is my first thread. I'm a recent convert from AA, where they didn't treat us so well..

I've got a few tanks, but I've recently been wanting to start a really interesting planted mini cube.

A lot of people push sand around, well I think a peaceful little underwater garden would be just as neat.

So I went and picked up a cheap little cube, and I soon noticed someone here had a thread where he used it as a hospital tank for plant clippings and an avacado pit. I think it is such a nice tank, albeit cheaply made.

So I picked up a .5 gallon Marina 'betta' kit. For $8 shipped, WOW what a deal...

The tank is shaped pretty cool and it has a great lid.

So down to the basics. I don't really want any life in it. Copepods will be inevitable, so will some snails. But I want a cool look for it.

http://www.petco.com/product/106657/...7-_-image_link

That's the tank, and the childish backgrounds pop right out.

I was thinking a Dwarf Riccia carpet on all 4 sides, and an interesting assortment/array of plants in the raised middle.

I'm looking for suggestions on the type of plant to go in the middle, keeping in mind it cant grow too tall, and I'm looking for a suggested filter, because I know I don't like how water gets when stagnant.

Thanks for help with my first post!
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I had one of those! They were so cool. Here's a lil' inspiration for you to go along with. It's not my tank, but I did the same thing to it. I added a cork/bark background on mine and covered it in mini pellia. The background was about 1cm thick so it didn't take too much space. As for the foreground, fissidens moss and anubias nana petite. I wouldn't recommend any rooting plants in this tank. The top is covered by salvinia. The light was a desk lamp. I had a few shrimps on mine, but sadly they died after 4 months. I'm guessing it was the spring time temperature fluctuating. A few nerites or assassin snails will be neat in here.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Now I want one...for some reason I got random inspiration to grow bettas from baby to adult...this would be perfect for the baby betta. I'm surprised though, normally little kits like this cost at least $30 but this at normal pricing is only $14....nice, Can't wait to see your tank once it's set up!
edit: Never Mind didn't realize this was only .5g, back to my original plan of my 2.5g.
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

Thanks guys! Appreciate the early responses.

I planned a moss ground.. Anubias is a good idea, yet so normal!

I'm looking for something a little out there. Maybe bamboo in the middle. Something just a little different.

@PB, I love that little tank! And I like what they did with the azoo palm filter.

I know I'm going to have to cut the back of the top, but I was planning on doing it for a light, not an HOB Filter.

Any other filter suggestions? I'd build one of some sort, but I just don't have the motor knowledge to do it. And sponge filters get too big, too fast.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.