The 120-P Reader - Pictures Included (56KWarning) - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #46
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

excuse me while I go get the napkin to cleaan up my drool!!!

Gosh makes me realize how little "eye" I have with my scaping abilities thus far... I am really going to to have to practice... A LOT
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #47
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Sorry for the delay, I was out for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
truly amazing. How do you like the HC on the mat vs in the pots?
Thanks! Its about the same labor-wise. Either you're picking rock wool out of the roots or the coir fiber. The quantity for the price was great, and it is also emersed-grown. There were some melted sections when it arrived, but nothing unexpected. HC is still very laborious to plant, however. I now understand why Amano invented the Wabi-Kusa, haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
I love it I love it I love it. nice Nice Nice...............well done.
Thanks bro! Backbreaking labor: justified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
Wow, that's really nice looking. I can't wait for the ?rotala? to fill out and get trimmed into bushes. Too bad about those Amanos. I've never has issues with shipped fish. Was the water used to ship just not clean to start?
Thanks - yeah it's rotala indica. I lost five more Amanos over the weekend. I'm never getting shrimp from these guys again. The water was super foul when it arrived. it was so clouded that you couldn't see through the bag, and it smelled so bad I gagged when I opened it. I think they just don't care for their shrimp well. From now on, I purchase from hobbyists only. This was absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
AWESOME POST! Thank you for posting in detail about how you setup for a long planting sessions as well as the other info you provided! I will be looking forward to seeing this tank fill in!

Thanks Again!
Drew
Thanks, and you're welcome! Tanks this size and bigger a pretty exhausting to plant, especially with such small plants as HC. I just hope my maintenance skills are up to the challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
Beautiful everything! Setup, scape and planting is just top notch, well done. This should grow into am amazing aquascape
Thanks - I'm looking forward to how things grow in. I may replace some things over time - the DHG might get replaced pretty early if I don't like what it's doing - but for the most part, this is a good starting point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
excuse me while I go get the napkin to cleaan up my drool!!!

Gosh makes me realize how little "eye" I have with my scaping abilities thus far... I am really going to to have to practice... A LOT
Haha, thanks! It tok a lot of practice and some hard critique of my own work, and there are still flaws in this layout I have taken note of, but I very much like this scape. Time and practice are good!

I came back home after a camping trip, and the plants are all pearling nicely. There are places where the HC was dead when I planted it, but aside from that, it looks like everything is transitioning very well. My CO2 setup is an atomic inline diffuser on the filter, and an atomic diffuser at the opposite end of the tank. This way I get a super-fine mist of CO2 at both ends. HC devours CO2, so success here will hinge on keeping enough of it in there to keep all of the plants happy.

The rotala indica came submersed-grown and nicely bronzed by the sun - I'm hoping to maintain that color, but that might require some toying with light. This is exactly the soft warm color I wanted in the background. Nothing too loud and red, but just a little touch of pink/orange/gold. With 3-4 trimmings, it will shape up nicely. I won't trim for a few weeks, though, so the roots have time to establish well. My moss is taking off, as it was already pretty well established in the other tank. It seems to like the extra CO2. I've never seen it bounce back so fast after a trim before.

I need to start tomorrow with a water-change to catch up on lost time. I should have been doing one every day, but as I was gone that was not going to happen. No worries. I'll fix it!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #48
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx

Epic. Subscribed and hello from WSU!!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #49
Riverboa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Great start. Love the rocks.

One unsolicited advice if you don't mind. Those HG is going to take over the tank soon and eventually will uproot your HC carpet. Not saying that the tank won't look good with HG carpet but if you want to keep the HC, then the HG need to go now.

|ADA120P|ADA60H|Ecopico|
Riverboa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #50
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
Epic. Subscribed and hello from WSU!!
Thanks! Welcome! And go Cougs!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #51
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboa View Post
Great start. Love the rocks.

One unsolicited advice if you don't mind. Those HG is going to take over the tank soon and eventually will uproot your HC carpet. Not saying that the tank won't look good with HG carpet but if you want to keep the HC, then the HG need to go now.
Well, the HC should keep it in check as long as its trimmed, but I am considering replacing it with the 'Belem' variety anyhow. The lower maintenance appeals to my winter schedule. It's way too early to say anything, however. I'll ride it out for a bit and see how it goes. If it begins to uproot like you say, you'll be the first to know, haha... I've dealt with e. acicularis on many occasions, so I'm familiar with its ravenous tendencies.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #52
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Incidentally, the water changes go very efficiently for this tank. 20 minutes, and I'm done. Most of that is draining. Very nice change from the 130!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #53
Riverboa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

My experience,

this

becomes

I then gave up on the HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Well, the HC should keep it in check as long as its trimmed, but I am considering replacing it with the 'Belem' variety anyhow. The lower maintenance appeals to my winter schedule. It's way too early to say anything, however. I'll ride it out for a bit and see how it goes. If it begins to uproot like you say, you'll be the first to know, haha... I've dealt with e. acicularis on many occasions, so I'm familiar with its ravenous tendencies.

|ADA120P|ADA60H|Ecopico|
Riverboa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #54
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow that really is a shame, Riverboa. What a nice tank! Trim the heck out of that DHG, and it'll still look good though the HC was nice too.

Like I said before, I've dealt with this stuff many times. In the past, I've had success just plucking it like an errant eyebrow hair when it pops up where it doesn't belong. It looks like it found some tiny gaps in your HC and took advantage of them. DHG can send long runners under other plants - sometimes surprising distances. It's a little demanding (weekly DHG pluckings, and mowing down for height - the cleanup after is the worst part, haha), but it works well for me. One just needs to be very aggressive with it.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #55
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Red face Humble Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Wow that really is a shame, Riverboa. What a nice tank! Trim the heck out of that DHG, and it'll still look good though the HC was nice too.

Like I said before, I've dealt with this stuff many times. In the past, I've had success just plucking it like an errant eyebrow hair when it pops up where it doesn't belong. It looks like it found some tiny gaps in your HC and took advantage of them. DHG can send long runners under other plants - sometimes surprising distances. It's a little demanding (weekly DHG pluckings, and mowing down for height - the cleanup after is the worst part, haha), but it works well for me. One just needs to be very aggressive with it.
I had Giant Hair Grass as a background plant a long time ago. It was a very slow grower, but after about 6 months, I noticed some new leaves growing up into my HC and they were like 4 inches away from the back! I was like WTH!? Then I proceeded to start trimming and up rooting and I realized the trouble I was in. I think the only way to prevent this type of propagation is to embed a plastic barrier wall in the substrate (and even then it may still have a chance to escape). Had I known that in the beginning I would have put one in place. You live and you learn I guess.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #56
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I had Giant Hair Grass as a background plant a long time ago. It was a very slow grower, but after about 6 months, I noticed some new leaves growing up into my HC and they were like 4 inches away from the back! I was like WTH!? Then I proceeded to start trimming and up rooting and I realized the trouble I was in. I think the only way to prevent this type of propagation is to embed a plastic barrier wall in the substrate (and even then it may still have a chance to escape). Had I known that in the beginning I would have put one in place. You live and you learn I guess.
Wow! I love the look of e. montevidensis, and fortunately it grows much slower than e. acicularis but that sounds like some insidious spreading, haha...

1 week update!

Sorry for the totally crooked shot. My tripod is having issues, haha...

Looks like everything is growing in nicely, and the march of the diatoms begins I started cycling this tank a couple weeks before I got plants, so it should be just about right for some shrimp and otos. I'll add my surviving Amanos today, and the otos in a day or two - after I double check nitrates for safety. I have more Amanos on the way next week

The rotala has just taken off, growing an impressive 3" in the first week! It looks to be staying nice and bronzed, and pearls wicked fast when it gets rolling.

The moss is where the diatoms came from. It dragged it in from the other tank, I presume. *sigh* oh, well - food for shrimpies!

The DHG is coming in like a storm as well, bouncing back from the trim in true form. Here is some DHG Belem with it's cousin looming in the background, waiting to pounce and devour.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #57
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Doesn't look like anything that time won't fix (provided your CO2 is high enough). I have to admit, the more I read this thread, the more I want to come to visit and steal that main rock from this tank.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #58
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Doesn't look like anything that time won't fix (provided your CO2 is high enough). I have to admit, the more I read this thread, the more I want to come to visit and steal that main rock from this tank.
Ha! Good luck - you'd be fighting the Mrs. on that one, haha... That's her favorite part of the tank - she made me make sure she could see the cave from her place on the couch.

That rock will be a part of my tank for years. It has so many great and wildly different characteristics. The cave can be a bowl when turned sideways, there are these crazy deep fins on the top end, and then there is all of the thick veining - whew!

I do have a small obsession with rocks.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #59
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"When dawn broke upon their meeting, the glossy blue eyes staring from the other side of the high-clarity glass didn't phase them. They knew he would never guess their plans. The otos slowly munched away at their diatom salad as if nothing had happened. The shrimp proceeded to massage one another's aching carapaces to conceal their malice for the Master. When he had snapped his photos and had his fill, the Master strode away proudly, thinking he had captured a rare moment of harmony in nature. The conspirators rolled their beady eyes and resumed their plotting with dutiful stoicism."

Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #60
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

beautiful layout sean!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.