30 liters of , well , something
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
someoldguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

30 liters of , well , something

Back around last Christmas , I found myself the owner of a Do!Aqua 30cm. Cube Garden , you know , the 1 foot cube . Like I need another tank ... My original plan was to set it up over the summer as a tank in my home office.
Circumstances pushed , at least the beginning of this build , up a few months .
Here's my plan so far ...

Tank - 30cm. Cube Garden - 7.5 gallons more or less
Light - 12" Finnex Planted Plus on a timer .
Filter - Eheim 2211 , probably custom piping
Background - black sign vinyl
Plants ( tentative)-
Anubias nana 'Petite'
Anubias , species unknown , probably the famous Anubias 'petcoii' ...got several in local club auctions .
Java Fern (maybe)
Bolbiitis (maybe)
Riccia
Water Lettuce ( Ceratopteris )
Substrate - probably just some decorative sand .
Hardscape - (see below)
Fish - Ps. annulatus

No CO2 , dosing pumps , arduino's , heater , heater controller , UV ,
maybe light ferts ( flourish ) as most of the plants will be water column feeders.
Gonna need to make a cover , got some glass and ideas , we'll see what happens here .

I found a great piece of driftwood a few days back when I was wandering around by a local reservoir . The wood's been around a while , maybe from when the reservoir was built in the 1980's . At the time , there was a section of forest that was ' drowned '. The trees are still there , sticking out of the water . Found this piece on the shoreline , it's pretty weathered and dried out. Gonna stabilize it with some penetrating epoxy I've got around , otherwise it won't last long .

Last edited by someoldguy; 05-12-2014 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: egregious syntactical error
someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
someoldguy
Planted Member

So it's decision time for the wood .... its' been sanded down to give a flat bottom , scrubbed , and baked at 300F for about an hour and a half to get any moisture out and cook any critters residing within .When I epoxy it , I'll screw it down to a piece of old tile with some stainless steel screws so it won't float . I've got an idea as to how I'll position it within the tank , but maybe could use a bit of input from those of you out in the ozone . Here's my choices :

In images 1 & 3 there's a piece sticking out horizontally , cut it or leave it ?

Last edited by someoldguy; 05-13-2014 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: i kant spel
Old 05-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'd go with 1 tbh
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Mirzath
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like position #1.
Mirzath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'd position it smack in the middle of #1 and #2 so that it points from the rear left corner to the front right.
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #6
someoldguy
Planted Member

Hey , thanks everyone . # 1 was my choice , too , though RWaters suggestion has lots of merit . Think I'll play around with angling position 1 to see if I can get some of that part that sticks out to show just a bit while showing all the rough texture of position 2 .

Managed to get the tile base cut and drilled .... basically a 9" octagon with 3 holes to accommodate 1" #6 stainless screws .

Also got the wood epoxied .

Wood sure was porous , the resin just sucked into some parts . Toying with the idea of a second coat , but have to wait until its fully cured tomorrow morning . Either way I'll leave it in the garage for a few days in case it outgases some , then place the piece in a spare tank with some tap water to see if there's any film released .
Probably mid next week , if everything goes OK , I'll fill the tank the wood's in with some used water and drop in a few Endlers and some bunch plants ,
anacharis or some such . I'll be gone for a few days and if they're all well when I get home then I guess the wood/epoxy is non toxic and I'm good to go.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
someoldguy
Planted Member

So , was experimenting with the positioning of the stump in the tank , using the light that will be on the tank and realized that it just wasn't going to work out the way I'd wanted . Too many shadow areas , a big void in the back of the stump which I could do nothing about ..... so I put the stump aside for a later project and moved on to Plan B .....

The wood's a piece of either cherry or birch root that I found along the Hudson a while back . Its' also been stabilized with epoxy and weighted with a piece of tile . It'll get planted with Anubias spp. and probably some moss . The rock in the back is a piece of local sandstone that will be loaded with Java fern of various sizes and maybe some Bolbitis . Probably leave the white sand alone save for lowering/evening the front and gradually sloping it upward toward the rear .
Hope to have the inlet outlet plumbing figured out next week and the filter cycling in one of my long established tanks . Also have to cut some glass for the top from some old window sash I've got .
Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
someoldguy
Planted Member

So... here's where things stand as of now . Background is black sign vinyl .
plants :

on the root :
Anubias nana 'petite'
unidentified anubias spp.

on the stone :
Java fern
Bolbitis

Water's still a bit cloudy from the initial fill ( 50% used water , 50% old water )
No filter yet , the 2211's still getting charged up in one of my other long established tanks . Once the filter is in , some floaters are getting added , riccia , frogbit , and maybe azolla or salvinia . Might reposition some of the anubias , especially the topmost one and the far front one .

Last edited by someoldguy; 05-29-2014 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: didn't want to lose 3 points for spelling
Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Maybe some tied moss around the stump would be cool, weeping or similar.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #10
someoldguy
Planted Member

Sounds good . I've got some subwassertang in another tank , only thing is I don't care for how it breaks up and gets all over the place . Also have some stuff I picked up at AFA last September that was allegedly rose moss . Been trying to get it going but with very limited success . Maybe tomorrow I'll shoot over to one of the semi local shops that occasionally has moss and see if I'm lucky . If not maybe I'll try NYC on Tuesday . That part that sticks out to the left is crying for something stuck on it . Maybe move one of the 'petites there and stick moss on the top edge of the root and maybe some below the overhang . Just gotta see what I can scrounge up .
Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #11
someoldguy
Planted Member

So... Waiting on some flame moss I ordered online . In the meantime , I made up a set of inlet and outflow tubes from some clear acrylic , plus some tube holders . This thing's taking a whole lot longer than it should , I'm slowed down owing to a splinted left hand . Anyway , tube holder design done in Inventor...

And the real thing , made out of 2 pieces of 1/2" acrylic scrap...

And the tubes , in their holders ...... no suction cups to come loose here !

The intake tube will be final trimmed and fitted with an Eheim intake tip .... Won't be seen from the front .
Also thinking about replacing the white sand with very fine natural gravel , mostly for ease of maintenance .
Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
someoldguy
Planted Member

So... finally (hopefully) together in it's permanent incarnation. Replaced a few Anubias , rhizomes got soft . Also dumped the white sand . When I took the wood out to replant the Anubias and add moss, had big time H2S smell from the sand . This despite rinsing heavily to clean out whatever crap might have been on it when packaged . Went back to plain 'ol gravel . No surprises here.
Anyway , added some flame moss and subwassertang to the wood ,frogbit, salvinia , and riccia for floaters ;and a few pieces of Hygro. pinnafitida to help fill in the background some. Glass on top to cut down evaporation and jumpers.
Just need to fit a small piece of acrylic between the pipes to fill in the void back there . Don't know if I'll hinge it to the glass to make a tilt up feeding panel or just have it lift off . Maybe introduce fish and possibly a few RCS early next week . Got a touch of nitrite I want to get rid of first as well as check for unwanted snails.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Keep a very close eye on your anubias, if you lost some to rhizome rot (rhizome gets soft, discolored, has a smell, and/or leaves show deficiencies then rot off at the base) it is possible to spread to other anubias, I lost most of a large collection of anubias that filled a 20g long recently to this disease..not fun.
Lovely tank btw, and love the pipe holders!
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #14
someoldguy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Keep a very close eye on your anubias, if you lost some to rhizome rot (rhizome gets soft, discolored, has a smell, and/or leaves show deficiencies then rot off at the base) it is possible to spread to other anubias, I lost most of a large collection of anubias that filled a 20g long recently to this disease..not fun.
Lovely tank btw, and love the pipe holders!
Thanks for the heads up on the anubias .... I'll keep an eye out . There's but one remaining of the originals in the tank , all the rest were removed elsewhere or died . That one looks OK so far . Sure would suck to have the new ones go down . I've lost piles of crypts due to melt , but they (usually) always came back . This is permanent . Glad you liked the tank .It's considerably different than first envisioned . The tube holders evolved from a distaste of suction cups , they always come loose on me and the tubes end up flopping around, so figured I'd try to design an alternative . so far they're working out well.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #15
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

You should consider making and selling more of those holders to others. I've fortunately not had any disasters from pipes coming loose yet (hopefully won't).
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.