Lighting for a 90 gal tank... Is it Sufficient
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Runkle

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting for a 90 gal tank... Is it Sufficient

I have a 90 gal tank that I just set up. I presently have 4 t-5 48 inch bulbs. Two are color max 6,700k and two are day light 6,700k. Is that enough light for a high light tank?

: fish1:
Runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I assume you have a 4 bulb Coralife T5HO light fixture - is that right? If so, the reflectors are probably no better than fair, so 4 bulbs sitting about 25 inches from the substrate should give you about 70-90 micromols of PAR, or high light. You will need a pressurized CO2 system used correctly, or some big algae problems are likely to be in your future.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Runkle

Default My lights

I have basically no reflectors on the lights. I am using two lighting fixtures that I got from home depot. I then put in the t5 bulbs from the local pet store into them. Also I'm using a DIY co2 system
Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

With no reflectors and T5NO light fixtures, you probably have near the bare minimum of light needed for aquatic plants, so that is good for low light plants only.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
DariusV
Algae Grower

Pretty cool tank though ...
DariusV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Runkle

@darius, thank you! I will post updated pics soon. @ Hoppy, I deeply appreciate the information and scientific guidance. As of now the tank has grown both green and brown algea but it is under control because of the co2, the help of a bushy nosed placostamus and an otosynclis. the only plants that are doing well are the floating plants, tall plants near the surface and the Anubias at the bottom. The horn wort is living but on its way out without a change to the system. I have added tin foil as a reflector and plan to incorporate mirrors as soon as viable. All of the indicators I am aware of are consistent with your advice and predictions. in addition I plan to add at least two more t 5 bulbs with 6,500- 10,000 k to the tank. Do you have any advice on the best way to proceed from this point given my plans? Modification of plans is acceptable. Regards

Tags
90 gallon, lighting