Amazonian additives
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-03-2003, 02:06 AM   #1
RogerL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm thinking of starting a new Amazonian tank and am intrigued by the idea of using a "blackwater conditioner" (eg Kent Black Water Expert). My question is - does this significantly impact the amount of light I will need? I am planing on about 3W/gallon and don't intend growing anything with significantly high light requirements.

Thanks!
RogerL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2003, 02:13 AM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

It will have very little effect on lighting requirements. Many of the black water conditioners contain peat extracts which may lower your PH a little, just be aware of that. You didn't say if you are using CO2, but the ph lowering effect could throw off the ph/kh/co2 relationship, of your not using co2, dont worry about it. You could always get around it by measuring co2 directly with a co2 test kit.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:12 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

But at 3 wpg I would think that CO2 would be part of the setup.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:33 AM   #4
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rex brings up a worthy point... if you are having 3 wpg AND using the black water stuff, using CO2 would be tricky, but it could be done. You would basically have to start out with a low CO2 bubble rate and slightly increase, observing the fish and plants. Once you are getting satisfactory growth, that is where I would plateau the CO2. It would be tricky, but possible... Also, I don't think the black water stuff will affect how much light gets to your plants. Hope this helps!

-Tim