Few quick questions from a beginner...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
CoolhandLocke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Few quick questions from a beginner...

Hello all, first post and I'm sure it won't be my last. Long story short, I had a tank when I was younger and recently decided I wanted another now that I have some free time on my hands. Needless to say I stumbled across the quirky little creatures known as nano-shrimp and am going to give them a go. I've spent the better part of the week reading up on things until my brain hurts, and am fixing to buy my tank in about an hour so i can get it here tomorrow as I'm tired of waiting lol.

I'm picking up the Fluval EBI habitat, and basically wondered what else I would need with it. I know it doesn't come with a heater, but seems to come with everything else but the shrimp. I was looking at the Fluval M 200 Watt heater which I assume should do the trick?

I figure I'll start looking at plants over the weekend, and decide on the shrimp after that. I've actually spent so much time reading and looking at tanks that I've barely scratched the surface of what types of shrimp can be had.

Any good links, tips or advice is always appreciated. I mainly want to make sure I get everything ordered today so I can hopefully get the tank setup like I want it and get the water right. Then it's on to the shrimp
CoolhandLocke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

What size is the tank?
Will u have live plants? low/med/high light
What lighting are u using if the plants are live? what wattage is the bulb/what color spectrum?
What type of substrate?

I won't be much help but these are common things the guys that CAN help will ask :-)
TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Nano-Sh.../dp/B0047XTV3I from this tank, it looks like 7.9 gallons. It should be okay with or without a heater, depending on where you live. Mine stays pretty close to 77 without a heater.

Looks like he does want live plants. I would probably stick to low tech plants for a first shrimp tank. Moss, java ferns and some others are good picks.

Be sure to cycle the tank before you get your scrimps! I would start with a Neocaridina, too. You can get reds, blues, whites, rilis, orange, and yellows. Even chocolate browns.
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? That's an absolute must-know thing. If you don't know about that, stop all other research and read up on it. Google is your friend.

Do you have space for a bigger tank, even a 10g? Small tanks are much more difficult than larger tanks. There's not as much room for error and one minor thing can turn into a disaster whereas a bigger tank is more forgiving. I've had fish die in my 75g and had no clue because it didn't change to parameters, but I notice big changes if I don't spot a dead fish in my 13g.

Check out planetinverts.com to read about neocaridinas. IMO, that's the most comprehensive site to go to research. Most people start with red cherry shrimp (RCS) but any neo is hardy and suitable for beginners.

Read this http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ry-shrimp.html and this http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...p-keepers.html.

I agree to go low lighting and no maintenance plants. Shrimp love and arguably need moss. Shrimplets get most of their food from moss and adults eat on it too. You could do what I'm doing and have an all moss tank. There are so many different types of mosses and they're all beautiful in their own way. Check Google images for "moss tanks" and you'll see the gorgeous aquascapes people have come up with.

You will need liquid test kits. I'd say most of us use API. Initially you'll need the "Master Kit" because it lets you test the big three: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. GH and KH tests are also helpful, but not absolute required for neos.

Um, I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but there are so many knowledgable people in our shrimpy little part of TPT that are happy to help beginners thag you'll learn all you need.

-Lisa
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

A lot of what you ought to do is going to depend on which type of shrimp you're interested in keeping. If it's a durable species, like most neocaridina (cherry, yellow, blue pearl, rili, and a few others), amano, or ghost shrimp, you don't have to be particularly careful about the water parameters. If you're keeping more sensitive species (crystal red, tigers, and a bunch of others) you need to make sure that you've got water that they can live and breed in. If you want to keep super finicky shrimp (most sulawesi, newest-most-shiniest-breeds-from-Asia, and others) then just light your cash on fire and save yourself the time and distress. (I'm only mostly kidding with that one, and you can always mail the cash to me instead of burning it...)

If you are using the water from your tap, you'll definitely want to find out what is in it before deciding on the type(s) of shrimp you want to keep. That means testing its pH, GH, and KH. If you have a municipal water supplier, you might be able to find out more about the water's contents from your water company as well (they're legally required to give you certain information annually, and you can often find out quite a bit more by asking nicely.) Once you know those values you can decide which shrimp will live in your water and pick from those, or you can go with RO water from a grocery or pet store (though this requires more steps in reconstituting the excessively 'clean' water into something that shrimp want to live in.)

Another major consideration if you live in Vegas (not entirely sure from your location) is temperature. Many of the more sensitive shrimp species require cool temperatures, 75F and below. If your place is substantially hotter than that for long, many of the caridina species are off limits or require supplemental cooling.

Finally, I'd like to second the recommendation that you be sure to cycle your filter and to really know what that means before getting anything other than plants in the tank. Google "fishless cycle" for more info. It takes a while to do but the livestock will be much stronger as a result.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Definitively start with neocardinias, once your first babies have babies, then start thinking about cardinias.

Did you read the first post of "sage advice for noobie shrimp keepers"?
All you wanna know for now is there.

Good luck!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
In2wishin
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

From one noobie to another: first of all, relax The most important things I learned when I first started was 1) low tech works really great with shrimp 2) cycling the tank is THE most important step

Here is my shrimp tank:

I have about 30 shrimp, 8 celestial pearl danio, 4 nerite snails, and a couple of assassins on loan from my other tank in a 10g cheapo set up from PetSmart. I use a 25 watt heater because I keep my place in the low 60's in winter.

My shrimp love the small bunches of java moss and they really love the guppy grass (as long as I don't let it get too dense) and the duckweed.

Last edited by In2wishin; 06-08-2012 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: photo link
In2wishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
CoolhandLocke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses it's quite a bit to take in lol. As for the tempeture, my house generally stays right around 72-74, not sure how that translates to water but I'll find out when the tank gets here

I'll start looking at plants tomorrow and have taken all the suggestions into mind. I'm definitely going to get moss, but haven't really decided on the rest. From what I've read the lights are definitely not the brightest, but they will get some things growing nicely. I've also read that the substrate is a little difficult to get things to root in so I'm preparing for that as well.

As for the shrimp, still on the fence about that one. I work online from home so taking care of them definitely isn't an issue. I really like the Blue Tigers, and I know the Red's are popular as well. I haven't thought about breeding yet, but suppose I'll post about that when the time comes.

Aside from buying from the forums which I've browsed, any good recommendations for places to buy live plants and shrimp from? The prices on the shrimp themselves seem to vary quite a bit; I don't care to spend a bit to get good stock, but I'm not going to say "money is no object" either lol.

I also meant to ask originally if there are any "safe" fish or other invertebrates that can be kept with the shrimp? I know when they have babies they can be eaten by almost anything, but thought there should be some other aquatic creature that safe to have around my shrimps...
CoolhandLocke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

For what it is worth, I found investing in one of Peter Hiscock's plant encyclopedias and poking around SnS for plant pictures both very handy.

The SnS is a good place to get fish. Most snails are fine! There are some super cool ramshorns, applesnails and more. Umm. Well, there are a few nanofish that are safe but might eat some of the babies - hiding places are good. Otocinclus cats won't eat them, though. My Corydoras habrosus are so chill, I've seen the baby shrimps bop into them and send the catfish running off. >_> Or the big shrimp poke them or ride on them. I think they're either doleful or laid back...
Old 06-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I buy my shrimp from Speedie and my plants and shrimp supplies from h4n, here in this forum.

I find that costumer service is huge from fellow members in comparison to other sources like websites.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

I will be buying my shrimp from Speedie and I'm hooked on h4n's moss. I have some sitting in a box in front of me right now and just paid for more.

I have maybe a shooter marble size of java moss I'll send you for the cost of First Class padded envelope. And I have five generous golf ball portions of subwassertang that I can sell you as well.

A tip on moss, use superglue to fasten it down. It's awesome.

-Lisa
Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

Or if you don't want to use super glue, fishing wire or thread is aces. Just use cotton thread that'll go away over time or clear thread.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechibi View Post
Or if you don't want to use super glue, fishing wire or thread is aces. Just use cotton thread that'll go away over time or clear thread.
Super glue is light years better than thread. If you do it right, the moss already looks like it's growing, not some matted down wad that doesnt look like much. I used cotton thread about two years ago to attach lace java fern to DW. It was still very much intact when I took it off last weekend. Super glue can also be used for anubias and java ferns, which are also great low light plants (that I also happen to have available for sale )

-Lisa
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

It depends. The threaded moss just looks fine on my log, and the mesh on the rocks is being overgrown. It takes a little bit, but they both look good in the end. My moss doesn't look like a matted down wad. :P
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

This was made two or three days ago and it looks like its been growing for awhile.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339276286.159860.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	48884

But we should stop hijacking the OP's thread by just admitting that I'm right and moving on.

-Lisa

Tags
fluval, heaters, newbie, shrimp questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.