Angelfish companions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Angelfish companions

Can Angel fish be housed with gourami's?
I've started getting interested in them while helping a friend
look for hers. However I have 2 blue gourami's and heard they
can't be housed together, did I hear that right?
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

sorta kinda right

it depends upon the size of your tank. With blue gourami's and any of their color morphs, I would keep either only 1 or a group of at least 4

as far as Angels go, I feel like a lot of people say you can't keep them with certain things because they have never honestly tried. I used to keep my angels with blue gourami's...then my gourami's got eaten by my bichir but that's a different story lol

right now I keep my lone Angel with a bunch of pearl gourami's (which are really pretty in the right lighting btw), some rainbow cichlids, a geophagus brasiliensis, a blood parrot, 2 bichirs, and a pleco, and have plans of adding at least 3 more angels and maybe some livebearers (if the bichirs allow)
I also have a ton of mystery snails and mts with them just to help eat uneaten food (and cause I like snails :P)
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
JasonG75
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've seen Angels pick Gourami's to death, but also it depends on the Angels. Some are nicer than others.
The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-upgrade.html
JasonG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Angelfish are cichlids. Cichlids are unpredictable. Just have a care when mixing them, and have 4-6 of each of them to balance any aggression.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

what LB79 said

I've heard of and seen Angels that are super placid and would be fine with a small school of cardinals, and then I have Angels like mine that rip the eyes out of other fish and watch them slowly die in a corner (he did that with the dominant Angel back when he was one of 3, was totally fine with the second angel until that one died of a massive ick outbreak)
Old 06-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #6
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Maybe if I buy them at quarter size, the other fish in the tank won't bother them and maybe they won't go after their eyes!
Thanks Hybridherp for answering on 2 forums
I'm taking a ride out to Franks Aquarium to pick up some Pseudomugil Iriani Neon Red's tomorrow for another tank, maybe that should be it for awhile. I'll just help out my friend. maybe another tank would be the answer
Old 06-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
tendertouche401
Algae Grower

I have nickle size angels along with 2 gold Gourami', black,white and dalmation mollies and ghost shrimps in a 30 gallon (I actually have not seen the ghost shrimps in a while). I do have some plants but not much. So far life is good, they seem to get along well.
tendertouche401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
Gajidy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post

Angelfish are cichlids. Cichlids are unpredictable. Just have a care when mixing them, and have 4-6 of each of them to balance any aggression.
agreed!
Gajidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yah, Cichlids are a tough bunch for sure. But I have to say my bolivians just keep their shtick to themselves and never bother anyone. Years ago everyone had an angel or 2 in their tank, they were super popular, and I only remember the silver and black striped ones, no breeding for colors back then. Like I said I think I'll leave it alone for now. I think I'm going to redo that whole tank eventually and then I'll go for some angels.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

On a related note I just bought myself five new angels for my tank to the same size as my already existing adult angel three that were a little bit smaller than my angel and I'll let you guys know how they do
Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

On a related note I just bought myself five new angels for my tank to the same size as my already existing adult angel three that were a little bit smaller than my angel and I'll let you guys know how they do
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

i agree with most of the comments here.. my large angels are devil children.. when they are not kicking the crap out of each other, they attempt to pick on my large bolivian rams who put them right back in their place.. My BR's dont take no crap
Old 06-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I love angels, but I love discus more. I won't try to keep them together again. Did it once. The discus came out on the losing end even though they were bigger. On a side note, angels are prone to certain parasites that discus don't tolerate so well...

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
I love angels, but I love discus more. I won't try to keep them together again. Did it once. The discus came out on the losing end even though they were bigger. On a side note, angels are prone to certain parasites that discus don't tolerate so well...

Tommy
I heard something about angels and certain parasites. I'll have to learn more about that. I would think they can pass those on to the rest of the tank.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Omg enough with the angels give discus diseases crap... It's not true. They don't carry parasites that discus can die from, that's old news and proven incorrect. Hell, I could say that the petco tetras killed my Walmart pleco.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote